English has too many homophones

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry, but I just can’t tell you that. Otherwise I’d be lying.

Great to see you back!
It's good to be back. I kept wanting to hop on while in India, but never had the combination of time, energy, and internet connectivity.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is a view not shared by over half the people who bothered to officially express their opinion.

Which quite honestly wasn't many. I remember life before the EU, it was bad.

Not necessarily. I just believe that for making jokes there is a proper time and place. On this forum there is a section for that, The Comedy Cafe. So if you want to make jokes, if you ask me, that would be a good place to make them. Now as for talking about oven ranges in a thread devoted to fighting ranges, I was not the OP who started the thread so I cannot speak for them. However, some people do start such threads with the intention of having a serious discussion about the topic at hand, and thus they might not like it when people make jokes about it.

You know that people can post things that are funny that aren't jokes? There's quite a few reasons for making witty comments, it's like the oil that smooths conversations, it indicates a level of sophistication in the conversation, it's intelligent and it's fun. It also indicates that the writer doesn't take himself too seriously.

There are not too many homophones in English at all, there's only people who don't speak English properly.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Which quite honestly wasn't many. I remember life before the EU, it was bad.

72.2% of registered voters turned out, which was higher than general elections in recent years and not exactly "not many".

There are parts of the EU I agree with, but more importantly to me there are parts I fundamentally disagree with.

I won't go into it any further here, but as always, pm if you fancy a private mini argument ;)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
72.2% of registered voters turned out, which was higher than general elections in recent years and not exactly "not many".

There are parts of the EU I agree with, but more importantly to me there are parts I fundamentally disagree with.

I won't go into it any further here, but as always, pm if you fancy a private mini argument ;)

To be honest I'm sick of the arguments of the Brexit problem, so much misinformation, so much nastiness that has crawled out from under stones. I will point out that Scotland voted to stay in as many areas did. It has divided the country, caused the nationalists, Nazis and bigots to emerge shouting they'd won and generally turned the UK into something I don't recognise and with so much uncertainty, doubt and venom being launched I really just want to go back to bed and pretend the whole thing isn't happening. The reason 'politics' was banned on MT was because of much of the same things that are going on now over Brexit, they banned politics here I just wish it was so in the UK over this subject.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
To be honest I'm sick of the arguments of the Brexit problem, so much misinformation, so much nastiness that has crawled out from under stones.

Also to be honest, that's true of both sides.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also to be honest, that's true of both sides.

I didn't say it wasn't. However the bigots, xenophobes and Nazis are coming out on the leave side.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I will point out that Scotland voted to stay in

Yup we did lol.....................Like most other things we kinda don't get listened to

It really has caused major disruption and will do as the parts of the country that need the EU eh well they got kinda out voiced by the parts that don't ......If ya think that ref was bad and stirred up the pot well you shoulda seen what the ind ref did it actually split families and still does and it will rear it's head again as well the Brexit lot are really gonna make that happen imo an that apart from which side your on just is not in any way good news at all.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Yup we did lol.....................Like most other things we kinda don't get listened to

It really has caused major disruption and will do as the parts of the country that need the EU eh well they got kinda out voiced by the parts that don't ......If ya think that ref was bad and stirred up the pot well you shoulda seen what the ind ref did it actually split families and still does and it will rear it's head again as well the Brexit lot are really gonna make that happen imo an that apart from which side your on just is not in any way good news at all.
You're Scottish? Huh.

Regarding the splitting families, that's an unfortunate side effect of the current climate here in the States, as well. I think the real tragedy is that everything is being viewed politically, to include moral and ethical issues. I have serious concerns when ethical questions are being viewed through the cynical, calculated lens of political gain or loss.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm sure glad we don't have those problems in America.

Lol

Seriously no that kinda problem you really do not want asit could lead to the break up of a union that has stood for a fair amount of time and that is not good .... It will and is causing major instability and well ok you guys has individual states that you love (or hate lol) but we have countries and well to even think of a hard border between any of them is not a pleasant thought at all... Yes as a Scot I am patriotic and will never go against my homeland but the union has stood to long and it not just as simple as saying stand alone

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You're Scottish? Huh.

Regarding the splitting families, that's an unfortunate side effect of the current climate here in the States, as well. I think the real tragedy is that everything is being viewed politically, to include moral and ethical issues. I have serious concerns when ethical questions are being viewed through the cynical, calculated lens of political gain or loss.

Yes I ama born and bred Islander a native gaelic speaker and my family bible goes back to 1690 lol

Yes it has split families and you are so right about the political gain as really it could and has stirred up a **** load of trouble .....Unfortunately the politicians saying oh we don't want the past to be an issue or mentioned actually means they do and that is when the trouble starts lol as then ......................all rational thought goes out the window and the past gets dragged up and ummm well that is not good at all ....not in any way

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'll tell you what was really unfair...

Scotland had a vote about whether to stay part of the UK or be a completely independent country.

Nobody asked the rest of us if we wanted to keep them or not :troll:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes I ama born and bred Islander a native gaelic speaker and my family bible goes back to 1690 lol

Yes it has split families and you are so right about the political gain as really it could and has stirred up a **** load of trouble .....Unfortunately the politicians saying oh we don't want the past to be an issue or mentioned actually means they do and that is when the trouble starts lol as then ......................all rational thought goes out the window and the past gets dragged up and ummm well that is not good at all ....not in any way

My father is Scottish, my mother was Dutch, my father doesn't have the Gaelic though, not spoken much in Aberdeen. He's in his 90s now and voted to remain, he's also ripped up his Labour membership card, with all the anti Semitism, supported them all his working life. Sad times are here.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My father is Scottish, my mother was Dutch, my father doesn't have the Gaelic though, not spoken much in Aberdeen. He's in his 90s now and voted to remain, he's also ripped up his Labour membership card, with all the anti Semitism, supported them all his working life. Sad times are here.

Yes it is sad and I fear more trouble lies ahead

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'll tell you what was really unfair...

Scotland had a vote about whether to stay part of the UK or be a completely independent country.

Nobody asked the rest of us if we wanted to keep them or not :troll:

That is the kind of thing I was alluding to and just for the record many English people did vote in the ref ...it was not just Scots

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
That is the kind of thing I was alluding to and just for the record many English people did vote in the ref ...it was not just Scots

Only those living there (or registered as living there for the purpose of voting registration) got to vote on it.

If it were my way, either none of the English living there would've got a vote, or the entire UK would have.

In either case, I think lots of people would have required new passports...

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Only those living there (or registered as living there for the purpose of voting registration) got to vote on it.

If it were my way, either none of the English living there would've got a vote, or the entire UK would have.

In either case, I think lots of people would have required new passports...

Oh dear I am not going to get into an argument over this as it will stir many a thing up that need not be stirred up. As far as voting then why should you if you neither livein the country nor are resident there have a vote, Incidentally you did have a vote indirectly asyour member of parliament had to vote on the ref bill for there to be one in the first place.

Saying what you did is lie saying the time of Longshanks is again upon us

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh dear I am not going to get into an argument over this as it will stir many a thing up that need not be stirred up. As far as voting then why should you if you neither livein the country nor are resident there have a vote, Incidentally you did have a vote indirectly asyour member of parliament had to vote on the ref bill for there to be one in the first place.

But something like the EU gets to vote on whether to accept a country or not, so why not the other way around?

Maybe they don't vote on an individual level, but it's still there.

Oh, and "my" MP? He's nothing to do with me.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
And with that, I shall depart the thread...

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
There are a few states I wouldn't mind giving up.

On second thought. I'm fond of them all.

Let's just hope someone, somewhere, is watching a spider struggle to make a web!

Latest Discussions