English has too many homophones

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
There are a few states I wouldn't mind giving up.

On second thought. I'm fond of them all.
Let's just hope someone, somewhere, is watching a spider struggle to make a web!

That is another load of myth and legend as the Bruce in a cave is highly highly unlikely lol ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,that be moreakin to a certain gentleman who reinvented Scotland for the tourists lol. All be it Victorian and English tourists lol. Like the same gentleman in vented the myth of Rob Roy lol ..................he was Scotlands second spin doctor lol

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
That is another load of myth and legend as the Bruce in a cave is highly highly unlikely lol ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,that be moreakin to a certain gentleman who reinvented Scotland for the tourists lol. All be it Victorian and English tourists lol. Like the same gentleman in vented the myth of Rob Roy lol ..................he was Scotlands second spin doctor lol
I was talking about Spider-Man. But sure, Robert the Bruce works too. :)

In related news they are making a big budget movie about robert the Bruce played by the same dude who played the role in the movie braveheart.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I was talking about Spider-Man. But sure, Robert the Bruce works too. :)

In related news they are making a big budget movie about robert the Bruce played by the same dude who played the role in the movie braveheart.

That should be fun to see how much they get wrong and invent lol

As about the only thing they got right in that other Movie was the names lol

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But something like the EU gets to vote on whether to accept a country or not, so why not the other way around?

Maybe they don't vote on an individual level, but it's still there.

Oh, and "my" MP? He's nothing to do with me.

I voted to join the EU when we had the referendum for it in 1975, you lot are too young to remember.

The funniest thing for me though about this latest referendum was all the ex pat Brits ( they are never immigrants or economic migrants, always ex pats) voting to leave the EU because of 'too many immigrants in the UK who don't assimilate, learn English etc'. this is hilarious because none of them speak the language of the country they are in, they have brit cafes serving Brit food, their own newspaper in English, clubs for Brits, their own estate agencies and they use the local health facilities etc They really are very funny!
British expats in Spain have a warning to the UK on immigration

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
This particular part dragged me back...

The funniest thing for me though about this latest referendum was all the ex pat Brits ( they are never immigrants or economic migrants, always ex pats) voting to leave the EU because of 'too many immigrants in the UK who don't assimilate, learn English etc'. this is hilarious because none of them speak the language of the country they are in, they have brit cafes serving Brit food, their own newspaper in English, clubs for Brits, their own estate agencies and they use the local health facilities etc They really are very funny!

Funny isn't a word I'd use unless I was being ironic ;)

When I moved to France I experienced the same type of people...

While there, I spoke bad French (and worse Breton), we shopped in the local shops, we took part in the local traditions and village/church events, we used local trade (and I was on the way to becoming a local trade) - and we put quite a lot of effort into avoiding other immigrants wherever possible.

One thing learned very quickly was to not speak English while shopping, especially in supermarkets.

Not for the locals, they don't care - but because if you do, you're quickly surrounded by "expats" asking you round to theirs for a chat because "oh, I'm so glad to hear an English voice".

For some reason, they always got extremely uppity if I said "you're so desperate to hear English voices? f.off back to England then" :rolleyes:

Oh, and it also annoyed them that I referred to myself as an immigrant, and annoyed them even more if I called them one.

Essentially, I think (some) immigrants into the UK really should integrate more (not entirely wipe out their heritage, nor forsake their history), but that people emigrating from the UK should do the same.

With a bit more acceptance in all directions we could all get along just fine.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While there, I spoke bad French (and worse Breton),

You'll have an understanding of Welsh and Cornish then! A Welsh speaking friend of mine, Ricky Wright, can understand Breton and Cornish very well, he's also a very good pro MC for fight nights, he's willing to travel if anyone wants a good MC!

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
You'll have an understanding of Welsh and Cornish then! A Welsh speaking friend of mine, Ricky Wright, can understand Breton and Cornish very well, he's also a very good pro MC for fight nights, he's willing to travel if anyone wants a good MC!

A little Cornish, Welsh - a little less.

Honestly now it would be very very little - been nigh on a decade since I last utterly murdered it in conversation.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
That should be fun to see how much they get wrong and invent lol

As about the only thing they got right in that other Movie was the names lol
It's a movie. I wouldn't expect it to be very accurate. Could be a good one, though. I read a book (well, technically a trilogy) many years ago about Robert the Bruce which I enjoyed very much, by Nigel Tranter.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's a movie. I wouldn't expect it to be very accurate.

Isn't that why they're called movies instead of documentaries?

(Actually, they're commonly called films here, I only use the term movie online.)

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Isn't that why they're called movies instead of documentaries?

(Actually, they're commonly called films here, I only use the term movie online.)
You guys still use film?

Being a little more serious, it really depends on context . film is a throwback to when movies were filmed. You could accurately call a movie a feature. Feature length movies are anything over 80 minutes, iirc. If you called something a film I think people would get the idea.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
You guys still use film?

Being a little more serious, it really depends on context . film is a throwback to when movies were filmed. You could accurately call a movie a feature. Feature length movies are anything over 80 minutes, iirc. If you called something a film I think people would get the idea.

It's another language development thing.

They were originally "moving pictures".

So, some people shortened that to "movies".

Others used the media name - so of an evening I won't "watch a movie", I'll "watch a film".

Oh, and when visiting the cinema it's colloquially referred to around here as "going to the pictures".

And, the "feature" part was because you'd normally have a newsreel, a couple of shorts, and finally the "feature presentation" - which is what you were going to see in the first place.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
It's another language development thing.

They were originally "moving pictures".

So, some people shortened that to "movies".

Others used the media name - so of an evening I won't "watch a movie", I'll "watch a film".

Oh, and when visiting the cinema it's colloquially referred to around here as "going to the pictures".

And, the "feature" part was because you'd normally have a newsreel, a couple of shorts, and finally the "feature presentation" - which is what you were going to see in the first place.
But I'm still shocked you guys use film.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
But I'm still shocked you guys use film.

Oh right.

Yeah, all the time.

15379947908422049467522.jpg

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Now how many youngsters have I just made think "what on earth is that a picture of???"

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It's a movie. I wouldn't expect it to be very accurate. Could be a good one, though. I read a book (well, technically a trilogy) many years ago about Robert the Bruce which I enjoyed very much, by Nigel Tranter.

Tranter books are good

if you can get a copy of the jacobite trilogy it is a good one ...it may have a different title stateside it set just before and through the aftermath of Culloden

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the OP has problems with English he should try Welsh...no vowels! :D

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
If the OP has problems with English he should try Welsh...no vowels! :D
what a mess. I don't think we should play the blame game. But if I were (and I'm not saying we should), I blame the Normans.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

The Celtic langs are split into two camps lol......The P line and the Q line .....The P line is Scots Gaelic, Irish Gaelic and Manx anonly has 18 letters in the alphabets ....the Q line is Welsh, Cornish and Breton , they all have 26 letters.
I cannot understand a word of what the Q line say and even the P line I can understand about 40% of what they say lol ... Although they are all Celtic langs the Q line is more from the Britons where as the P line comes more from pictish origins

Latest Discussions