English has too many homophones

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Its history mate, its like us mixing up the varius american ibvading of sovereign nations,
If there's one thing we know about Brits, it's that you guys don't appreciate a dry sense of humor. ;)

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes i know, and if yiur being picky, its lamps, not lights, but anyway yiur claim is the BE finished before the lights( lamps) went out and it didnt ut trundle on to at least 47 and us giving India back to the indians( and the pakistanies etal.) Plus we still had most of the rest, which took another couple of decades to give back.

In the 1930 s there were serious plans to blockaid New York ( and the whole easten seaboard) and bring those pesky amerian to heel, so we still ruled the waves then, unfotenttly for the civilisation of the usa, the germans got in the way, so thats how it all went wrong for them Americans

Bro yes our Navy was still a Navy in WWII but it did not compare to the might of the Grand Fleet. Jellico was the last man to properly cross the T in battle, Ok we can argue if he won Jutland or not but one thing he did do was after that battle Kaiser Bills fleet never came out to play again. Even Churchill said he (Jellico ) was the only man that could have lost WWI in one battle and he didn't !!!

The Grand Fleet now that was a fleet and one to be proud off (despite what Beatty did ...the hot headed btard, had he dne as he was told -and not thought he was Nelson - then he wouldn't have had to say the famous words there seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today)

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If there's one thing we know about Brits, it's that you guys don't appreciate a dry sense of humor. ;)

Oh no we do it just our dry humour is way more subtle, however when outsiders have a go at anything connected to our Royals we do tend to get a bit miffed, as they are ours and if anyone is gonna have a go then we will ourselves lol

I can remember when a certain first lady dared put her hand on the Queen lol that nearly caused apoplexy here as jeez in years gone by that would have meant War lol, She obviously didn't listen to what she was told ............no one and I mean no one does that period

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Oh no we do it just our dry humour is way more subtle, however when outsiders have a go at anything connected to our Royals we do tend to get a bit miffed, as they are ours and if anyone is gonna have a go then we will ourselves lol

I can remember when a certain first lady dared put her hand on the Queen lol that nearly caused apoplexy here as jeez in years gone by that would have meant War lol, She obviously didn't listen to what she was told ............no one and I mean no one does that period
LOL. You guys are cracking me up. I should write an article for the huffpost..co.uk about what happens when Brits don't get the joke.

And, being quite serious, who do you believe had a go at your Royals? If you think I have, I sincerely apologize. I am having a go at you guys, because you literally crack me up when you start "britsplaining" british humor after not getting a joke. Talk about irony.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
LOL. You guys are cracking me up. I should write an article for the huffpost..co.uk about what happens when Brits don't get the joke.

And, being quite serious, who do you believe had a go at your Royals? If you think I have, I sincerely apologize. I am having a go at you guys, because you literally crack me up when you start "britsplaining" british humor after not getting a joke. Talk about irony.
Waiting for someone to post a response to me saying something along the lines of, "Oh, I got the joke. I just didn't think it was funny." :D

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

I think we only pointed out what the OBE stood for the other bits were between our selves lol.

One thing that should be noted is us Brits you say lol do tend to stand our ground ............................ask the last two jumped up little Corporals who tested us on that lol

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I think we only pointed out what the OBE stood for the other bits were between our selves lol.

One thing that should be noted is us Brits you say lol do tend to stand our ground ............................ask the last two jumped up little Corporals who tested us on that lol
That is true. Brits are very stubborn. Not something we're familiar with in America.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That is true. Brits are very stubborn. Not something we're familiar with in America.

Oh lol ...Our stubbornness is somewhat different lol as is our ways of getting things done lol.

As a matter of interest have you ever heard of the term Gunboat diplomacy ?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Bro yes our Navy was still a Navy in WWII but it did not compare to the might of the Grand Fleet. Jellico was the last man to properly cross the T in battle, Ok we can argue if he won Jutland or not but one thing he did do was after that battle Kaiser Bills fleet never came out to play again. Even Churchill said he (Jellico ) was the only man that could have lost WWI in one battle and he didn't !!!

The Grand Fleet now that was a fleet and one to be proud off (despite what Beatty did ...the hot headed btard, had he dne as he was told -and not thought he was Nelson - then he wouldn't have had to say the famous words there seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today)
We were slightly hampered by the league if nations restriction on tonnage and armour, which being british we adhered to whilst every body else did not, however at least at the start of ww2 we had the most powerfull navy in the world.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We were slightly hampered by the league if nations restriction on tonnage and armour, which being british we adhered to whilst every body else did not, however at least at the start of ww2 we had the most powerfull navy in the world.

Not sure I agree with the WWII bit ...but we def had the best sailors and a determination. I still thin the Grand Fleet was a more impressive sight and battle formation

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Waiting for someone to post a response to me saying something along the lines of, "Oh, I got the joke. I just didn't think it was funny." :D

It's Yom Kippur, nothing is funny.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I like British humor.

God.jpeg

But I always was a religious guy.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I just don't think you guys get irony or sarcasm. It's not your fault.

Almost every time I make a sarcastic comment on a forum someone (usually someone from Uhmerica, sponsored by Carl's junior) takes it seriously and personally...

I don't mind though, explaining how it was sarcastic is usually funnier.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Almost every time I make a sarcastic comment on a forum someone (usually someone from Uhmerica, sponsored by Carl's junior) takes it seriously and personally...

I don't mind though, explaining how it was sarcastic is usually funnier.
America is a big place. Geographically/demographically, Britain is smaller than Alabama. The entire UK is smaller than Oregon. Saying Americans as a whole don't appreciate sarcasm or irony is like saying that Europeans don't appreciate it, forgetting you are part of Europe.

I believe it can be said truly that more Americans than Brits appreciate sarcastic. And more Americans than Germans don't appreciate sarcasm. We just have that many different cultures in America. And, an American accent, which is often difficult for Brits to understand. :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score