English has too many homophones

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
An American wrote that article not a Brit.
You’re American? I had no idea. And we all know that if it’s written in quora, it’s going to be true.

It does hurt a little that you take the word of that American stranger and not this one. What’s he got that I don’t? I can show you my American bona fides.

Last edited:
OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Or you have no sense of humour.
Not necessarily. I just believe that for making jokes there is a proper time and place. On this forum there is a section for that, The Comedy Cafe. So if you want to make jokes, if you ask me, that would be a good place to make them. Now as for talking about oven ranges in a thread devoted to fighting ranges, I was not the OP who started the thread so I cannot speak for them. However, some people do start such threads with the intention of having a serious discussion about the topic at hand, and thus they might not like it when people make jokes about it.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Alas and alack not for much longer.

That is a view not shared by over half the people who bothered to officially express their opinion.

Looks like you and I are on different sides of this particular fence...

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
That is a view not shared by over half the people who bothered to officially express their opinion.

Looks like you and I are on different sides of this particular fence...
Well, whether you're part of Europe or choose to go it alone, we will still have better beer than you. So, it's all good.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, whether you're part of Europe or choose to go it alone, we will still have better beer than you. So, it's all good.

Dunno, I've had a few 'American' beers, but they were all brewed somewhere in Europe or the UK.

Because of that, I have no idea if they were accurate renditions...

Out of beer curiosity - what size is a standard pub/bar beer measure there?

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Dunno, I've had a few 'American' beers, but they were all brewed somewhere in Europe or the UK.

Which American beers have you had? If you’re talking Budweiser, Coors, etc., that’s not beer. Or at least not beer that anyone with actual beer knowledge would consider a good example of American beer. Yet it’s wildly popular. I guess people like beer flavored water or something.

We’ve got some excellent craft brews, as I’m sure you do too. I will say I’ll take a mass produced British beer such as Bass or Newcastle over our mass produced Budweiser or the like any day of the week. Then again, I don’t know what’s considered your equivalent to our Budweiser. Perhaps Bass and Newcastle are looked at as bland beer, or they’re looked at as a great example of the British scene. People like Samuel Smith’s brews here; I never cared much for them. I’m a big stout and even oatmeal stout fan; Samuel Smith’s oatmeal stout did nothing for me.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Which American beers have you had? If you’re talking Budweiser, Coors, etc., that’s not beer. Or at least not beer that anyone with actual beer knowledge would consider a good example of American beer. Yet it’s wildly popular. I guess people like beer flavored water or something.

We’ve got some excellent craft brews, as I’m sure you do too. I will say I’ll take a mass produced British beer such as Bass or Newcastle over our mass produced Budweiser or the like any day of the week. Then again, I don’t know what’s considered your equivalent to our Budweiser. Perhaps Bass and Newcastle are looked at as bland beer, or they’re looked at as a great example of the British scene. People like Samuel Smith’s brews here; I never cared much for them. I’m a big stout and even oatmeal stout fan; Samuel Smith’s oatmeal stout did nothing for me.

I'm not really a big drinker anyway, so anything of American origin I've had is going to be mass market stuff.

It's alright on a hot day or at a BBQ or the like, but not exactly a thing to drink to enjoy just for itself if you know what I mean.

If going out for a drink I'll tend to go for local brews from small(er) breweries.

Bass and Newcastle are alright, but personally they're just mass market drinks to me.

And I know there's the whole thing about warm beer - but proper beer shouldn't be served cold as it utterly destroys the flavour - cold is the domain of lager, not beer ;)

At home? I have cheap French lager - it's not disagreeable...

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm not really a big drinker anyway, so anything of American origin I've had is going to be mass market stuff.

It's alright on a hot day or at a BBQ or the like, but not exactly a thing to drink to enjoy just for itself if you know what I mean.

If going out for a drink I'll tend to go for local brews from small(er) breweries.

Bass and Newcastle are alright, but personally they're just mass market drinks to me.

And I know there's the whole thing about warm beer - but proper beer shouldn't be served cold as it utterly destroys the flavour - cold is the domain of lager, not beer ;)

What’s the difference between beer and lager?
:) :) :)

When I was bar tending, I overheard a guy telling his buddy he could taste the difference between beer and ale. I just shook my head and kept minding my own business.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

I hope you aren't referring to "American Lagers," like Coors or Budweiser. There are all kinds of great beers around, of all types. IPAs are very trendy right now, but you can get great stouts, porters, pale ales, Scottish ales or whatever else you want. Washington State is one of the best places in the world to grow hops, and as a result, we have had terrific beer for decades, going back to the very 80s when microbrews were first legally able to open up and compete with the giant, domestic breweries.

As for the standard bar measure, if you're talking about the size of a pour, it depends. Generally places will serve 12 oz, or a 20 oz. I've had some imperial stouts, lambics, or other super strong beers that are sold 10 oz at a time, due to the high alcohol content.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
What’s the difference between beer and lager?
:) :) :)

When I was bar tending, I overheard a guy telling his buddy he could taste the difference between beer and ale. I just shook my head and kept minding my own business.
Lager is a beer, and so is ale. The difference between lagers and ales are how they are fermented. Ales are fermented at a higher temperature (somewhere around room temp) for a shorter period of time, while lagers are fermented closer to 40 or 50F and for a much longer amount of time.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

When you say bbq, what do you mean? I'm curious what a British bbq looks like.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Lager is a beer, and so is ale. The difference between lagers and ales are how they are fermented. Ales are fermented at a higher temperature (somewhere around room temp) for a shorter period of time, while lagers are fermented closer to 40 or 50F and for a much longer amount of time.
Correct, lager and ale are the two types of beer (excluding stuff like malt liquor and anything obscure I don’t know about).

One thing you forgot to mention, which I believe is the main distinction between the two is the type of yeast used during fermentation: ales use a top fermenting yeast, and lagers use a bottom fermenting yeast. To the best of my knowledge, the type of yeast being used dictates the time and temperature.

I’m not a brewer, but I bartended at a few brew pubs. :)

Add to that people typically think lagers are dark and heavy, while ales are light in color and weight (actually specific gravity, but I won’t try to correct that). When I told people that stouts and porters are ales, so many of them laughed at me and told me I didn’t know what I was talking about. I typically just smiled and nonchalantly sent the brewer over. Then I gave them one on the house to save my tip :)

Last edited:

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I hope you aren't referring to "American Lagers," like Coors or Budweiser. There are all kinds of great beers around, of all types. IPAs are very trendy right now, but you can get great stouts, porters, pale ales, Scottish ales or whatever else you want. Washington State is one of the best places in the world to grow hops, and as a result, we have had terrific beer for decades, going back to the very 80s when microbrews were first legally able to open up and compete with the giant, domestic breweries.

As for the standard bar measure, if you're talking about the size of a pour, it depends. Generally places will serve 12 oz, or a 20 oz. I've had some imperial stouts, lambics, or other super strong beers that are sold 10 oz at a time, due to the high alcohol content.
And what is it with all the IPA lately? I think it’s a bunch of guys trying to prove their d!ck is bigger by saying they love beer that’s so strong and hopped so high. No different than the guys who run around drinking Bacardi 151 to prove they’re a real man or something.

I’m a big pale ale fan. Porter too. But the IPA craze is just out of control IMO. I remember trying a bunch of different Rogue beers back in the day. They had a reputation for being quite liberal with their hops. Every one of their beers I tried, I asked myself why would anyone want that. From the IPAs I’ve tried recently, Rogue seemed pretty tame in retrospect.

IPA rant over. Now I’ve got to hit the refrigerator for a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. :)

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
And what is it with all the IPA lately? I think it’s a bunch of guys trying to prove their d!ck is bigger by saying they love beer that’s so strong and hopped so high. No different than the guys who run around drinking Bacardi 151 to prove they’re a real man or something.

I’m a big pale ale fan. Porter too. But the IPA craze is just out of control IMO. I remember trying a bunch of different Rogue beers back in the day. They had a reputation for being quite liberal with their hops. Every one of their beers I tried, I asked myself why would anyone want that. From the IPAs I’ve tried recently, Rogue seemed pretty tame in retrospect.

IPA rant over. Now I’ve got to hit the refrigerator for a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. :)
I agree ..i like the hops but theres a limit . I do like the current craze of citrus IPA. Like boddisatva from georgetown brewery (a local microbrew). That is delicious .

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I agree ..i like the hops but theres a limit . I do like the current craze of citrus IPA. Like boddisatva from georgetown brewery (a local microbrew). That is delicious .
I’m not a fan of citrus or most any other flavors in beer. I’ll enjoy maybe a pint of it if it’s done right, but I start saying “ok, now what am I really going to drink?” One of the brew pubs I bartended at had a blackberry wheat ale. It was pretty good, but I couldn’t drink more than a pint of it. I’ve done black & tans with some of that and other stuff, but it was always more of a novelty thing to me.

I think I’ve seen the boddisatva you’re taking about. I’ll give it a try based on your recommendation. :) A local beverage store that specializes in micro brews and craft brews allows people make their own six packs with most beers. I’ll throw one of those in there next time.

If you’re looking for a NY brewed beer line, try Cooperstown brewery. Old Slugger Pale Ale and Benchwarmer Porter are two of my favorites. I don’t think they’re easy to come by outside NY (they’re not that easy to get here either) but I think their stuff is gaining ground in distribution. Their other beers are pretty good too.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I’m not a fan of citrus or most any other flavors in beer. I’ll enjoy maybe a pint of it if it’s done right, but I start saying “ok, now what am I really going to drink?” One of the brew pubs I bartended at had a blackberry wheat ale. It was pretty good, but I couldn’t drink more than a pint of it. I’ve done black & tans with some of that and other stuff, but it was always more of a novelty thing to me.

I think I’ve seen the boddisatva you’re taking about. I’ll give it a try based on your recommendation. :) A local beverage store that specializes in micro brews and craft brews allows people make their own six packs with most beers. I’ll throw one of those in there next time.

If you’re looking for a NY brewed beer line, try Cooperstown brewery. Old Slugger Pale Ale and Benchwarmer Porter are two of my favorites. I don’t think they’re easy to come by outside NY (they’re not that easy to get here either) but I think their stuff is gaining ground in distribution. Their other beers are pretty good too.
Will look out for it.

This is the stuff I’m talking about. I really like it

Georgetown Brewing Company | Darn Tasty Beer.

Latest Discussions