Emergency Preparedness?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That is something I have been musing about for the better part of 20 years, but Monday's events kind of got the brain cells firing again.

What do you have on hand for a bloody emergency?
Without taking your shirt off (I mean I wear a sports bra that covers more than any bikini top I own, but it's still under wear)

In Germany when I got my driver's license it was mandatory to carry a first aid kit in the car (along with a triangle to secure your emergency with, no flares though).
And it was not one like you get off the shelf in most stores here: it actually contained wound dressings and gauze bandages, not just a handful of band aids that won't stick if you bleed a little heavier.

I found this baby a couple of weeks ago:
http://www.lifesecure.com/zuca.asp
probably a little overkill for most days, but golly...it has everything!

Now, being an adult volunteer now for both scouts, I am considering to suggest putting a small kit together to carry along most places.
Containing, band aids, of course, some wound dressings, some bandages and some vet wrap, and of course some gloves.

I have an under utilized food saver that could be pressed into service to vacuum pack the materials to water proof them (I which means I would have to include some sort of safety cutter in the kit)

What am I forgetting?

After all, the universal Scout motto is 'Be Prepared'

(and I don't want ti to be a 40 pound gear bag...)

Drasken

Brown Belt
Reaction score
That is something I have been musing about for the better part of 20 years, but Monday's events kind of got the brain cells firing again.

What do you have on hand for a bloody emergency?
Without taking your shirt off (I mean I wear a sports bra that covers more than any bikini top I own, but it's still under wear)

In Germany when I got my driver's license it was mandatory to carry a first aid kit in the car (along with a triangle to secure your emergency with, no flares though).
And it was not one like you get off the shelf in most stores here: it actually contained wound dressings and gauze bandages, not just a handful of band aids that won't stick if you bleed a little heavier.

I found this baby a couple of weeks ago:
http://www.lifesecure.com/zuca.asp
probably a little overkill for most days, but golly...it has everything!

Now, being an adult volunteer now for both scouts, I am considering to suggest putting a small kit together to carry along most places.
Containing, band aids, of course, some wound dressings, some bandages and some vet wrap, and of course some gloves.

I have an under utilized food saver that could be pressed into service to vacuum pack the materials to water proof them (I which means I would have to include some sort of safety cutter in the kit)

What am I forgetting?

After all, the universal Scout motto is 'Be Prepared'

(and I don't want ti to be a 40 pound gear bag...)

A good emergency bag shouldn't weigh 40 pounds. Mine is set up for any situation I can think of. Urban or wilderness survival. People call me crazy for carrying things like first aid kit, rope, water purification tablets and the like... But if a disaster happens (natural or man made such as a bombing) then I'll be better prepared.
My bag weighs about 15 to 20 pounds, but it's also a heavy canvas bag and has clothes, an all weather blanket and a tarp. For just first aid and such I think 5 pounds is about what I'd guess. Look on survival and outdoors websites and books. Or any military survival guide. Even if some of their gear is obviously overboard (though with mass shootings and now more bombings again some of it might be worth having) the books can give you some ideas. And most of them explain why it's a good idea to have.

Always good to be prepared. Never know when you'll need it. Wish more people thought it was a good idea to do this, then the aftermath of things like hurricanes, earthquakes and attacks by psychotic wastes of life might be more manageable.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The 40 pounds was in (unlinked) reference to the national Guard unit that participated in Boston as Tough Ruck challenge, full uniform with 40 lbs gear packs. Yes, that would be a little overkill.

I am trying to see if I can fit a few of the zippered pouches somewhere...might have to convert to carry purses yet!

If you don't mind, share some pictures and packing lists!

I might have to remove the third seat from my expedition :)

(did you check the gear in the link? A bit pricey, but pretty inclusive!)

Drasken

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The 40 pounds was in (unlinked) reference to the national Guard unit that participated in Boston as Tough Ruck challenge, full uniform with 40 lbs gear packs. Yes, that would be a little overkill.

I am trying to see if I can fit a few of the zippered pouches somewhere...might have to convert to carry purses yet!

I'll see what I can do about pics. And I'll definitely give you a list, I'll get to it after I get off work hopefully. My first pack was bare essentials that fit in my athletic bag.
Also there are some things that you don't really have to "pack" as well. People make amazing stuff with paracord for instance. My buddy has a belt that is 15 feet of braided paracord, secured with a simple buckle like a seatbelt would use. Its functional and if needed he could take his belt apart and have rope.

Don't think you'll have to take a seat out. We're preparing to survive and help others to survive for short term in a bad situation. Not preparing a supply line in a war zone. ;)

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
the survival bracelets are all the rage, got one, but I got skinny wrists :)

I see If I can get the scouts to make belts! (great idea)

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I travel a few times a year, so a car bag is kinda something that's always there.

However, I prefer to think of what I can carry on my person at all times, as my car will not always be available. If caught flat-footed, lost, etc.

At all times:
-cell and charger (pref one with a gps)
-cash and ID
-pocketknife
-sunscreen, hat and 2nd pr of glasses
-pocket flashlight and emergency whistle (the kind with a pull-tab)
-keys with car alarm
-water and glucose tabs

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To be honest I don't carry a fancy first aid kit when I'm in the back country. I carry enough to save myself so I can get either get home safely, get to my car safely, or get to a place where people with better medical skills than mine can fix me up.

In my backpack I keep hand sanitizer, GU packs, Nuun tabs, athletic tape (the kind that sticks to itself but not your skin) and maybe one bandaid and one gauze pad. (Ounces add up quickly...). I have a small tube of neosporin, a dose or two immodium and benadryl, and a few doses of Advil. I also carry a couple days worth of my daily Rx meds. I also have a water filtration straw, water, protein bars, phone, and usually another pair of glasses (clear glasses and sunglasses, whatever I'm not wearing goes in my pack). I have a cell phone and blade on my person. I have an old Nuun tube (they are waterproof!) that I use for storing matches and some of the first aid supplies. I sometimes have a camp stove with fuel, food, and a polypropylene spoon that won't melt at cooking temps. I have a headlamp (or two) and extra batteries and a bivvy sack. Sometimes I have a kindle.

A larger bag in my car has bottles of water, high protein non perishable foods such as tuna and protein bars, and cat food. Its for the cat, not for me :D I also have plates and eating utensils, paper towels, kitchen utensils, another blade of some sort, some basic kitchen tools such as a cork screw, can opener, and cooking spoon. I also have extra clothes and a warm blanket. Now that the weather is warmer I'll likely have a pair of flipflops. I have a car kit that has jumper cables, a flashlight, and other basic safety things, as well as a charger for my cell and a voltage inverter/air compressor/jump starter and various USB cables that can charge various things.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I travel a few times a year, so a car bag is kinda something that's always there.

However, I prefer to think of what I can carry on my person at all times, as my car will not always be available. If caught flat-footed, lost, etc.

At all times:
-cell and charger (pref one with a gps)
-cash and ID
-pocketknife
-sunscreen, hat and 2nd pr of glasses
-pocket flashlight and emergency whistle (the kind with a pull-tab)
-keys with car alarm
-water and glucose tabs

Basically what you can fit in a purse (what do guys call that thing?)

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I carry a gun so I can take your stuff when bad stuff happens:bangahead:

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
All three of our vehicles have first responder kits that started life as something like one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Responder-Tra...366233853&sr=8-5&keywords=first+responder+kit

I think the main additions I did were to add additional cpr masks, gloves, and a quick clot package. I used to have a Wilderness First Responder Cert, that has since lapsed, but I maintain first aid and CPR.

Two of our three vehicles have full blizzard kits, other people might call them bug-out-bags, but they are designed for what happens if you go off a road in Wyoming in December and nobody realized you are gone for three days. Food (have to replace the MREs this year), water, water purification, sleeping bag, emergency blanket, spare clothes, boots, rain gear, tarp, matches and lighter, little sterno stove, multi-tool, radio, flashlight, spare batteries, etc. Spare set of clothes for each of the kids in each car as well.

I was a boy scout. :D

But if I was at that race, I couldn't have contributed much unless I was near the car, I don't have much space for extras in my regular day clothes.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
anybody carry a gas canister (full) in the vehicle?

I need to refill mine (I tend to run around on the last quarter...burned me a few times)

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not usually. I have a few of them, between 1.5 gal and 5 gal -- normally for keeping fuel for the generator when a wicked stawm is predicted. I don't generally carry a can in my car as the fumes tend to get nasty, even in one of those EPA containers.

$wicked-stawm-comin.jpg

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
anybody carry a gas canister (full) in the vehicle?

I need to refill mine (I tend to run around on the last quarter...burned me a few times)

Every time I carried a gas can, full or empty, I would run out of gas. I quit doing both.

As to the thread in general, I have supplies, and plans. I know 10 ways to get the 8 miles to my buddy's house and his huge full gun safe, and I know, if the S really hit the fan, who, in my neighborhood I would preemptively take out to get their stuff. If it is going to be them or me, trust me, its gonna be them.
That looks more sinister than tongue in cheek, doesn't it...
hmmm...
Yeah, I'm gonna be fine with that. Remember the two rules:
1 Never tell anyone everything

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Every time I carried a gas can, full or empty, I would run out of gas. I quit doing both.

As to the thread in general, I have supplies, and plans. I know 10 ways to get the 8 miles to my buddy's house and his huge full gun safe, and I know, if the S really hit the fan, who, in my neighborhood I would preemptively take out to get their stuff. If it is going to be them or me, trust me, its gonna be them.
That looks more sinister than tongue in cheek, doesn't it...
hmmm...
Yeah, I'm gonna be fine with that. Remember the two rules:
1 Never tell anyone everything

I know how to induce bleeding with a gun, but do tell, how do you stop it with one?

Or how do you get 8 miles down the road when you are not ambulatory?

(I really wasn't going down the road, prepper way, but do tell anyhow!)

This was really only meant to be a friendly picking of brains on what does anybody carry/have on hand for those situations when the pack of band aids that normally comprises a 'First Aid kit' simply won't do, not apocalypse.

Anybody carry duct tape?
bailing twine?
wire?

Latest Discussions