Any Preppers on the board?

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, I've been reading this and thinking we really are completely different cultures or at the least very different countries. No one thinks like this here.
I know peoiple will think that's probably short sighted of us but we manage. :)

I have to agree, I'm an Australian living in MA, US for 2 years. I've had more culture shock moving here than time spent in Asian countries. We just don't think that way, might grab some tinned food, and have an exit plan, about it.

Our family is well spread, rural, urban etc and some live in what would be considered dangerous territory, they would have exit plans for an emergency but that would be about it, maybe strategic hoses for fires but not much more.

OP
Kong Soo Do

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to agree, I'm an Australian living in MA, US for 2 years. I've had more culture shock moving here than time spent in Asian countries. We just don't think that way, might grab some tinned food, and have an exit plan, about it.

Our family is well spread, rural, urban etc and some live in what would be considered dangerous territory, they would have exit plans for an emergency but that would be about it, maybe strategic hoses for fires but not much more.

In case of a natural, or man-made emergency where the power grid and infrastructure have been compromised, what would you do for food, shelter, water, first aid, self-protection etc?

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In case of a natural, or man-made emergency where the power grid and infrastructure have been compromised, what would you do for food, shelter, water, first aid, self-protection etc?

We have had natural disasters through Australia over recent years with floods and fires, few cyclones, ten years of drought etc. Generally a rally point is ovals at schools for fire prone areas and high ground for flooding.

Generally my experience and what I've seen happen is the communities rally together and have a zone to collectively ration supplies. And\or have a safe zone stocked with food and supplies that everyone would use. This is for areas that are more susceptible to something happening.

I've been without power for days before when I lived in Queensland and was able to survive off what I had in the house, we always have a first-aid kit. And pooled our supplies with the immediate local neighbors... and that generally propagated out depending on peoples needs, some people had nothing to offer, others had heaps. We all just took it in our stride. It was a lot harder for single parents with kids, but everyone helped out.

Self protection never play a thought to be honest, there have been reports of looters etc... but can't recall ever hearing of any violent encounters.

Not sure how it stacks up compared to the twisters I have heard about that happen further south from where I live now. If I had a house in the area and prone to have these come through, I would likely have a basement with some rations and blankets.

I've been advised that the New England winters can be harsh and I should keep blankets and food in the boot of the car in case of blizzards. I've been warned but will likely never get around to it..

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
And this:

I've been advised that the New England winters can be harsh and I should keep blankets and food in the boot of the car in case of blizzards. I've been warned but will likely never get around to it..

is how the unprepared die.

In the Jemez, it wasn't unusual for a good snowfall to put us out of power for a week, and we might even be stuck at the house for a day or two. Once or twice we left work, had to park the truck and snowshoe into the house-where we had a diesel generator, a radio for communication, and several month's worth of food and water-this one, I don't understand how anyone could not do, once they realize how easy it is to have several months of unperishables and an adequate water supply, and the variety of ways such a supply could become essential.

Likewise, not having your vehicle prepared (here in the high desert, we have to have water in the car as well as winter preparation) is something I don't understand. You have a spare and a jack, why not a coupla gallons of water, some roadside breakdown stuff, jumper cables, blankets, etc.?

OP
Kong Soo Do

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Likewise, not having your vehicle prepared (here in the high desert, we have to have water in the car as well as winter preparation) is something I don't understand. You have a spare and a jack, why not a coupla gallons of water, some roadside breakdown stuff, jumper cables, blankets, etc.?

What do you store the water in while in your vehicle? I always worry about leeching if kept in plastic when the temp gets up there in the vehicle.

Road side stuff is common sense and something you're glad you took the time to do when you need it. I've got rain gear in each vehicle (nothing fancy, just simple rain jackets that can be picked up at the dollar store), those emergency blankets which also make a good improvised shelter/signal device, flashlights (cause flashlights are my fetish) etc.

A tidbit to toss out there, get some reflective tape from Wally world and put strips of it on things like the first aid kit, GHB etc. That way if you're on the side of the road with a flat or whatever, you can put these things out a little ways from your vehicle (at night of course) where oncoming traffic start 'seeing' you on the side of the road in advance of actually getting up to you. This in addition to flares and emergency lights and such.

Also a handy thing is a reflective vest that only costs a few bucks. If you're changing a flat or whatever at night it pays to be as visible as possible. And of course in an emergency situation where you're trying to be spotted it comes in handy.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
What do you store the water in while in your vehicle? I always worry about leeching if kept in plastic when the temp gets up there in the vehicle.

If it came down to dying of thirst, or "leeched plastic," I know which I'd choose. Of course, some say that people have been found dead beside dirty, muddy water that was perfectly good to drink.....

There's stainless steel containers, anyway....:lol:

OP
Kong Soo Do

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it came down to dying of thirst, or "leeched plastic," I know which I'd choose. Of course, some say that people have been found dead beside dirty, muddy water that was perfectly good to drink.....

I understand what you're saying, I was just curious what you've done. I also catch rain with 5 rain barrels, but wonder about any chemical run-off from the roof. I know that I could make it safe for drinking by boiling it and catching the condensation i.e. distilling it. And it has a plethora of other uses of course.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think I have a true appreciation for what a winter will be like here, I'm thinking once it starts getting cold I might make the time to put in some of those space blankets and at least water.

OP
Kong Soo Do

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think I have a true appreciation for what a winter will be like here, I'm thinking once it starts getting cold I might make the time to put in some of those space blankets and at least water.

Good idea. Anything you do now just puts you ahead of the curve should the need arise. Like the spare tire mentioned above, you don't want a flat, you don't go looking for a flat, but sometimes it happens. When it does you depend on that spare in the trunk. A little here and a little there can go a long way should you ever need it.

:)

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Also certain plastic bottles (recycling code 1) are used to decontaminate water using sunlight and warm temps alone.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Also certain plastic bottles (recycling code 1) are used to decontaminate water using sunlight and warm temps alone.

I did not think of that!

And, having reviewed the process, I'd have to say "decontaminate, but not necessarily completely." A lot is going to depend upon the source of the water, and ambient temperatures-the method in question could be a breeding ground for bacteria.....neat trick, though!

OP
Kong Soo Do

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This is the SODIS method. According to their site, if the water is clear, 6 hours of direct UV (sunlight) should kill water-borne pathogens. If the water is cloudy, it may take up to 2 days to fully work. I'm sure a lot of this is subject to where you live, how much direct sunlight you get etc.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
This is the SODIS method. According to their site, if the water is clear, 6 hours of direct UV (sunlight) should kill water-borne pathogens. If the water is cloudy, it may take up to 2 days to fully work. I'm sure a lot of this is subject to where you live, how much direct sunlight you get etc.

And what was in the water in the first place; dirt and algae can provide shielding from UV.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Personally I would recommend extra bottles of washer fluid...they are good for defrosting the snow/ice in case you get stuck, plus in winter you will be using a lot more to keep your windshield clear. Also recommend a can of Fix A Flat (getting stuck can wear your tires out...especially if they are not in optimal condition) and a pair of jumper cables. The colder the temperature, the more work the battery has to do to start the car...which also means its easy for an old battery or an accidental goof (a map light left on, etc) to cause trouble in colder temps than in warmer temps. Those to me are essentials, next for me would be an extra cell charger, bottled water and protein bars.

Also, good winter prep is not just about a collection of stuff in the car. Good tires and a good battery will go a long way, so will keeping your wits about you. If you can get away with not driving in the messy stuff, don't. Pay close attention to the weather forecasts...especially for the towns where you live and work.Mass. is a small state, but the weather, especially in winter, is nowhere near uniform. A storm that might bring snow to the south shore may only bring rain on the north shore. A storm where only a few inches are predicted inside 128 may bring 6 to 12 north and west of 495. Last winter was a lot milder than usual.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Not something I would personally count on being this far north...but its enough for me to not get too concerned about plastic water bottles in the car. :)

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Not something I would personally count on being this far north...but its enough for me to not get too concerned about plastic water bottles in the car. :)

Just a word of warning, I have had plastic bottles start pinholing after repeated freeze thaws, fun thing to find out that your car GHB has that funky mildew smell coming from it...

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We use Sawyer filters http://sawyer.com/

Specifically Sawyer Personal Water Bottle with Filter [SP140] and Sawyer Point ZeroTWO™ Bucket Purifier Assembly Kit [SP190]

They're rated for one million gallons and can be back-flushed in the field. Filters out giardia and cryptosporidiosis and other little nastys.

There is also simple tincure idodine drops from the local drug store or even common bleach. There is also the SODIS method http://www.sodis.ch/methode/anwendung/index_EN

Of course boiling is a great option if you have the time and a fuel source. There are also several methods for making a solar still. They don't produce a tremdous amount of water, but something is better than nothing of course.

I borrowed a friend's Sawyer Personal Water Bottle this weekend and was quite impressed. My friend was sold on them, and said The Sawyer family was originally from southern NH and made kidney dialysis filters somewhere in Boston's biotech belt. The company has migrated to create water filters.

The bottle is 1L and was easy to fill and easy to use, even in chilly (35F) temps. The water tasted great. It was relatively easy to clean, the bottle has a special syringe to wash the filter through back pressure. The filter is apparently good for life (1 million gallons!!). It is plastic and very light...not so good for folks who prefer aluminum, but great for ultralight/imperfect hikers like me who try to reduce every ounce of carry weight possible.

Using the bottle is as simple as unscrewing the cap, filling the bottle, and rescrewing the cap. This was helpful because when you fill a bottle from a mountain stream, your hands will get wet. And when temps are in the 30s...the water is COLD. I was glad to be able to get a drink without a need to operate a pump or other manual device with my cold, dead, han.....er......numb, tingly fingers.

Only downside that is that the bottle had no gear loop so I could clip to to the front of my pack. The bottle does have a recessed area so a lanyard and clip could be improvised. I think I will be picking one up.

OP
Kong Soo Do

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been pretty impressed with the Sawyer. As you mentioned, some prefer aluminum and I understand why as far as being able to boil the water/make soup etc. But I figure with the Sawyer, boiling will pretty much be unnecessary.

You mentioned ultralight hiking. Can you give me some tips on the types of stuff you carry. I have an ALICE pack (large) as a B.O.B. and figured on using it for hiking/camping as well but don't know how it stacks up to other types of light packs. Thanks. :)

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I've been pretty impressed with the Sawyer. As you mentioned, some prefer aluminum and I understand why as far as being able to boil the water/make soup etc. But I figure with the Sawyer, boiling will pretty much be unnecessary.

You mentioned ultralight hiking. Can you give me some tips on the types of stuff you carry. I have an ALICE pack (large) as a B.O.B. and figured on using it for hiking/camping as well but don't know how it stacks up to other types of light packs. Thanks. :)

I haven't been seriously backpacking in years (kids), but when I was going for both distance and weight savings my 3 day overnight pack was down to about 25 pounds (four of that was the pack). Most of that weight is a sleeping bag in an internal frame pack. I was talking about backpacking with my cousin, he mentioned that his weekend backpack was down to 14 pounds, but he lives in San Diego so he packs less in terms of cold weather gear. Your ALICE pack is way more than you need for an ultralight setup.

Latest Discussions