Any Preppers on the board?

OP
Kong Soo Do

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you're right on the ALICE pack. Makes for a good BOB but probably not the best choice for hiking/camping. Suggestions would be appreciated. Preferably choice that are on the frugal side ;) Perhaps a medium ALICE pack? I see these all the time on ebay.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Alice packs are rather heavy, even the smaller ones. They are designed more for toughness and size than weight conservation....ultralight becomes a game of ounces. Be careful when buying used, used packs up for sale may have a lot of wear, or a lot of skank...or both.

Try to find something on close out....now is actually a really good time as the outfitters have their warmer season gear at good prices. Your pack is the most important thing you carry, as it holds everything else.

I haven't done any overnight backpacking. The extent of mine so far have been hikes where I have returned after dark. I dont know if this would help but I would be happy to share what I carry. :)

My "first aid kit" consists of a ziploc bag with bacitracin, cortisone, a few band aids, gauze, sports tape and Advil. I keep my asthma inhaler in my pocket, unfortunately I can't usually keep that packed away. I also carry hand sanitizer, 5-6 GU packets and a tube of Nuun tablets.

These sporks by Light My Fire are awesome! The fork has a serrated edge to be used as a knife. They are very light, and they are also tough. The do not scratch your cookware, nor do they pick up stains from your food.

http://www.amazon.com/Light-My-Fire...1353031524&sr=8-2&keywords=lite+my+fire+spork

I have a small esbit stove that a friend made. If you have the patience for a small aluminum project, making your own stove is a good way to save coin. I only take this on long hikes, usually with some freeze dried scrambled eggs that I may cook up with some cheese. Believe it or not, fresh cheese will actually keep well on the trail as long as you keep it out of sunlight and don't touch it with your bare hands. I bring a ziplock bag for the spent esbit tabs. I light the tabs with kitchen matches that Icarry in an old Nuun tube (the tubes are waterproof) I do not carry a lighter, butane is not too dependable in colder temps.

My backpack came with a Camelbak hydration pack. The Camelbak isn't the best for hiking to be honest, it usually stays home. I usually water in half-liter plastic bottles. Not elegant, but practical...I currently have Aquamira drops for purification which requires some waiting, so on longer hikes I fill and innoculate my empty water bottles as I can. The Aquamira drops are super lightweight, easy, and leave the water tasting drinkable. I'll add a half of a Nuun tab if the chlorine taste gets to me.

Emergency stuff....I have a head-mounted lamp, extra batteries, and a bivvy sac. I should probably get a whistle but I have not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:
OP
Kong Soo Do

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I appreciate everyone's thoughts and advice, very much appreciated. And Carol, thank you for the link to the sporks, never seen those before but very cool.

I have a 5-in-1 Trame Pannier bag coming from ebay. Small enough for a waist pack or to carry over-shoulder. I figure I'd use a larger pack to backpack to the camp site, then use this for day hikes while camping. Also doubles as a good EDC pack. I got a good deal on ebay for 6 emergency space blankets for under 9 bucks so I toss one or two in the EDC along with the usual magnesium bar, extra firesteel, first aid kit, cotton balls & chapstick, flashlights, a knife or two, rain poncho etc.

A whistle is a fantastic ideal! I pick them up at Harbor Freight for 99 cents. This is where I get the mag bars as well for $1.99 and I've used them, work great.

And James is right, a good compass is a must. I really need to pick one up. I hear good things about Silva?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Silva's one of the best companies for compasses -- but truthfully, you don't need to spend a lot of money on one. Any decent, liquid filled compass will do the job, and it's not even essential that it be liquid filled. (Liquid filled are a little steadier). Don't jump out and by a lensatic compass unless you know how to use it, either. Any on this page are more than satisfactory.

I've done bare-minimum backpacking for a couple days with a daypack, rain fly, and hammock. That pretty much meant eating everything cold, and sleeping in clothes if it got cold. Better in warmer weather. For packs -- I'd go to an REI or similar good camping supply place, and examine what they've got. Find what you like the design and fit of, because there are differences in how they're set up, and the folks at the better shops know how to help you get what you want. If you want to shop for the same thing cheaper, then, it's up to you. (Personally, I generally give a place that helps me my business... especially if I know they're on commission and they were honestly helpful, not steering me towards the most expensive stuff.)

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
I haven't said much but I do follow this thread because it highly interests me. I haven't yet purchased any of the 20 year shelf life food yet. I am planning on purchasing a a pack with a good variety hopefully all of the meals and I plan on eating them right away so I know what I like and don't like.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Quite frankly I wouldn't worry about playing the ultralight backpacking game. Adding ten pounds of weight can provide a lot of luxury on the trail. Tent instead of a tarp, filtered water instead of purification tablets, propane/white gas stoves instead of sterno/esbit tablets. My not ultralight 3 day pack load out was more in the 45 pound range, which is pretty comfortable for about 7-10 miles a day, though I did go 14 one time.

My cousin is trying to recruit me to do the Pacific Crest Trail with him, and if we do that, it will be an ultralight affair as we are going to shoot for 20 miles/day.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I haven't said much but I do follow this thread because it highly interests me. I haven't yet purchased any of the 20 year shelf life food yet. I am planning on purchasing a a pack with a good variety hopefully all of the meals and I plan on eating them right away so I know what I like and don't like.

You should also look at long term storage of basics beyond the freeze dried stuff. Wheat, corn, pasta, rice, barley etc. The grains will pretty much keep forever if kept in a cool storage location. My dad and I opened up some of the sealed wheat cans that he packed when I was born (1972), and the grain was perfectly good and ready to be milled. It is an investment that can literally be handed down to your kids and it is far cheaper than freeze dried foodstuffs. If you are looking at long-term stores you pretty much have to go that route, the freeze dried stuff is just too expensive. We went with a mix of those basics and freeze dried.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Quite frankly I wouldn't worry about playing the ultralight backpacking game. Adding ten pounds of weight can provide a lot of luxury on the trail. Tent instead of a tarp, filtered water instead of purification tablets, propane/white gas stoves instead of sterno/esbit tablets. My not ultralight 3 day pack load out was more in the 45 pound range, which is pretty comfortable for about 7-10 miles a day, though I did go 14 one time.

My cousin is trying to recruit me to do the Pacific Crest Trail with him, and if we do that, it will be an ultralight affair as we are going to shoot for 20 miles/day.

Absolutely! I did the ultra bare bones stuff to prove I could... It's been a while, but if I were to go backpacking today -- I'd get a nice pack, definitely carry a stove. Tents... Depends on where you're hiking. In the Shenandoah National Park, I've actually found that a hammock is a better option. It can be a real challenge finding a place to camp, and the hammock/tarp combo magnifies options greatly. You're not stuck finding 12 to 18 sq ft of level ground, just two trees the right distance apart, and enough of a level spot for your stove.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
You should also look at long term storage of basics beyond the freeze dried stuff. Wheat, corn, pasta, rice, barley etc. The grains will pretty much keep forever if kept in a cool storage location. My dad and I opened up some of the sealed wheat cans that he packed when I was born (1972), and the grain was perfectly good and ready to be milled. It is an investment that can literally be handed down to your kids and it is far cheaper than freeze dried foodstuffs. If you are looking at long-term stores you pretty much have to go that route, the freeze dried stuff is just too expensive. We went with a mix of those basics and freeze dried.

I'm definately going to look more into this.

OP
Kong Soo Do

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Silva's one of the best companies for compasses -- but truthfully, you don't need to spend a lot of money on one. Any decent, liquid filled compass will do the job, and it's not even essential that it be liquid filled. (Liquid filled are a little steadier). Don't jump out and by a lensatic compass unless you know how to use it, either. Any on this page are more than satisfactory.

Appreciate the links. I'm planning on looking for a good compass and/or multitool today and whatever other 'goodies' that pop up.

jks9199 said:
I've done bare-minimum backpacking for a couple days with a daypack, rain fly, and hammock. That pretty much meant eating everything cold, and sleeping in clothes if it got cold. Better in warmer weather. For packs -- I'd go to an REI or similar good camping supply place, and examine what they've got. Find what you like the design and fit of, because there are differences in how they're set up, and the folks at the better shops know how to help you get what you want. If you want to shop for the same thing cheaper, then, it's up to you. (Personally, I generally give a place that helps me my business... especially if I know they're on commission and they were honestly helpful, not steering me towards the most expensive stuff.)

Blindside said:

jks9199 said:
Absolutely! I did the ultra bare bones stuff to prove I could... It's been a while, but if I were to go backpacking today -- I'd get a nice pack, definitely carry a stove. Tents... Depends on where you're hiking. In the Shenandoah National Park, I've actually found that a hammock is a better option. It can be a real challenge finding a place to camp, and the hammock/tarp combo magnifies options greatly. You're not stuck finding 12 to 18 sq ft of level ground, just two trees the right distance apart, and enough of a level spot for your stove.

I like the idea of a hammock. Very comfortable. I have several tents w/carrying case already that are pretty small (for the 1 and 2 man type). Something to check into. Looking at going out to Montana next year with my son and my nephew and his son for a backpacking/camping trip (perhaps around a week). I would definitely take the esbit stove. I don't yet know the terrain so hammock/tent is still up in the air. I'll take the Sawyer bottle with me, along with my small iodine bottle. I'll need to get all the stuff I think I'll need together and see what the weight is. Go from there.

OP
Kong Soo Do

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Blindside said:

Echoing on Blindside's comments, most of the freeze-dried offerings are extremely high in sodium. Anywhere from 700m-3000mg per serving. And adult man only needs around 2000mg per day. That amount of sodium, over an extended period can effect your health. Mountain House does have several low-sodium offerings, but as Blindside mentions, it isn't cheap.

We store a lot of pasta, lentils (which we eat a LOT of), canned goods (tuna for example) etc. This is stuff we enjoy (which is important) and eat regularly. And it stores well for extended periods of time. I've thought of ordering one of those 'buckets' of food just as a back-up to what I already have. But wouldn't have it as my main go-to source of food. Just in my stored goods I've probably got a good 4-6 weeks of food by just buying a little bit at a time when I shop. Extra few cans of tuna, couple of bags of lentils. And if I catch something on sale I stock up since it will last. For example, I like oatmeal. I have probably 8 containers of just oatmeal. Good carbs, easy to make, fills you up and can be 'spiced up' though I like it plain. I mark everything with a date and then rotate as I use them.

Plus my wife and her girlfriend are into gardening so we have a good part of the backyard going right now. Broccoli, tomatoes, kale, onions, lettuce etc along with several types of fruit trees.

Also, consider your water options. If something was to happen to the infrastructure i.e. water/electricity/services etc what would you do for water? Hurricane Sandy is a good example of people being both unprepared and infrastructure/grid going off-line. We have several rain barrels in the backyard that catch rain water from the roof. Primarily for the garden, but in a pinch can be used for drinking water as well as bathing etc. Know how to get water and just as important, how to purify/disinfect it. Iodine, bleach, purification tablets, SODIS, boiling, distilling etc are all options people should be familiar with.

And of course, know and have multiple ways of starting a fire. Again, looking at Sandy, in some areas the news reported a box of matches going for $10! You can buy a magnesium bar at Harbor Freight (or whatever is in your area) for as low as $1.99. And one mag-bar will start hundreds if not thousands of fires (to cook food, purify water, provide warmth, provide protection etc). Same with firesteel and something as simple as a cotton ball with some vasaline or chapstick smeared on it (both are petroleum based and will allow the cotton ball to burn for several minutes to start a fire), or dryer lint from towels, or alcohol wipes in a first aid kit etc.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I like the idea of a hammock. Very comfortable. I have several tents w/carrying case already that are pretty small (for the 1 and 2 man type). Something to check into. Looking at going out to Montana next year with my son and my nephew and his son for a backpacking/camping trip (perhaps around a week). I would definitely take the esbit stove. I don't yet know the terrain so hammock/tent is still up in the air. I'll take the Sawyer bottle with me, along with my small iodine bottle. I'll need to get all the stuff I think I'll need together and see what the weight is. Go from there.

You can find very compact hammocks (mine used to pack down to smaller than soup can), so take both. It's comfy for something to sit or rest in, even if you don't spend the night in it.

OP
Kong Soo Do

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can find very compact hammocks (mine used to pack down to smaller than soup can), so take both. It's comfy for something to sit or rest in, even if you don't spend the night in it.

Have you found the need for any type of fly or mosquito netting with the hammock?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you found the need for any type of fly or mosquito netting with the hammock?

Depends on the hammock design, what you're doing with it, and where you are. I never used mosquito netting. If I was just using the hammock as a comfy chair, and sleeping in a tent, then I didn't bother with a fly for the hammock unless it was raining. If I was sleeping in the hammock, unless 100% certain of no rain -- a fly is a must. There are lots of ways to rig a fly, and one of the first lengthy trips we did with hammocks actually turned out to be rather wet -- but we didn't have a problem. Some of the hammocks I've seen on the market today integrate rain covers or mosquito netting, or at least look like they do online. That's getting into the spendy range though...

By the way -- some of the options out there now are a lot more durable than the ones I and my buddies were using... More expensive -- but at least you don't have the special experience of laying back, starting to get comfy, and plummeting through to the ground. :uhoh::jaw-dropping::rofl:

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I also carry some cash, a credit card, and a photocopy of my DL and health insurance card. Because you never know when you're out in the back country and need to find an ATM. :lol2:

In all seriousness, I did this after I was in a bike accident riding through farm country in Massachusetts. I was taken to a city hospital 30 miles away from where I was. CT scan was negative, I was given a tetanus booster and after a few hours I was feeling a lot more like myself, and released. No shoes, no ID, no cash, no credit card...all I had was my cell phone and my car keys. By that time it had gotten late in the night and I was in a not-so-nice part of a not-so-nice city. I ended up calling several cabs, trying to bribe the cabbies with a $20 tip (on top of a flat rate $40 fare) to take me to my car and follow me to an ATM where I'd pay him. Finally found one that agreed.

The irony isn't lost on me that I got stranded....not in the back country, but 20 miles from home in one of the largest cities in Mass, within a mile or so of my university. I don't want to be in that scenario again.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I also carry some cash, a credit card, and a photocopy of my DL and health insurance card. Because you never know when you're out in the back country and need to find an ATM. :lol2:

In all seriousness, I did this after I was in a bike accident riding through farm country in Massachusetts. I was taken to a city hospital 30 miles away from where I was. CT scan was negative, I was given a tetanus booster and after a few hours I was feeling a lot more like myself, and released. No shoes, no ID, no cash, no credit card...all I had was my cell phone and my car keys. By that time it had gotten late in the night and I was in a not-so-nice part of a not-so-nice city. I ended up calling several cabs, trying to bribe the cabbies with a $20 tip (on top of a flat rate $40 fare) to take me to my car and follow me to an ATM where I'd pay him. Finally found one that agreed.

The irony isn't lost on me that I got stranded....not in the back country, but 20 miles from home in one of the largest cities in Mass, within a mile or so of my university. I don't want to be in that scenario again.

Excellent advice -- especially carrying identification. Several years ago, an off-duty officer in a nearby jurisdiction was riding her road bike and was struck by a car. She had no ID on her -- and the only thing that made the responding officers start checking cops for ID was a cuff key. That was all that kept her from being a Jane Doe until she recovered consciousness -- and could have been prevented simply by carrying her O/L or even just a copy of it.

Latest Discussions