Elbows vs. palm strike.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, What comes..comes...never unestimate a palm strike can do! ...I remember a story about a police officer who never punch any of his people who resisted arrest....but give them a big slap..which usually ended in his flavor......and he retired in good health!

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
AdrenalineJunky said:
Elbows end a fight, for sure. Palm thrusts: I'd take a solid punching game over palm thrusts any day.

Just me, though.
Elbows aren't that hard to defend. In fact the range of motion of an elbow is easier to "predict" than an "in ya face direct" strike.

A solid punching game.Yes, but thats not enough either. Palms "lead" to not only other strikes but your hand is already in postion to flow into Ju Jitsu or other grappling techniques.

Don't look to end the fight. Fight smart and the end will come.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Indeed. There can be much value to the palm strike. It's tough to suggest one over the other without being there, you know? The palm strike affords range and grabbing/monitoring/sticking, but a good elbow to just about anywhere on the head damages. It just totally depends on what presents itself.

Anyway, I don't choose, it happens.

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
cfr said:
I practice elbows pretty regularly on a heavy bag and have always held them in very high regards. Recently though my instructor pointed out the values of palm strikes. To be specific, using a palm strike to the face with my elbow almost parelell to my palm, and my fingers pointed back to me. The logic being less chance of injuring myself by using elbows. I was wondering if anyone has attempted to compare the two in terms of speed, power, etc. and what the overall thoughts were on using one in place of the other?
They both have there place, its up to you to know when.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've used the palm strike to check the hips and reposition opponents for throws. If a person comes in and tries to throw you, often you can use a palm strike to completely stop the action and bring the pain. All of this occurs close quarters, within the typical elbow range.

Latest Discussions