Elbow strikes

bujuts

Green Belt
Reaction score
The idea is to strike using the tip of the elbow and/or the last two inches (or so) of the forearm using the ulna as the striking surface. To expose the ulna, the palm must simply orthogonal to the path of action.

Cheers,

Steven Brown
UKF

kenposikh

Blue Belt
Reaction score
bujuts said:
The idea is to strike using the tip of the elbow and/or the last two inches (or so) of the forearm using the ulna as the striking surface. To expose the ulna, the palm must simply orthogonal to the path of action.

Cheers,

Steven Brown
UKF

Say what sorry Steve but your statement just doesn't seem to make sense to me here. The Ulna is the bone of the elbow/forearm which with the palm face up is on the opposite side to the thumb (so I believe). For the palm to be orthagonal (at right angles) to the path of action doesn't make sense either. For example take a right back elbow from a horse stance, would you agree the path of action is from 12 to 6 if so then for the palm to be at right angles it can be facing upwards, to the left or downwards.

Please do not take this the wrong way but I do hate the use of pseudo scientific terminology within kenpo a lot of people use it to say a lot but actually say nothing.

thoughts

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
bujuts said:

Cheers,

Steven Brown
UKF
That would be incorrect sir. The hand relative to the unlna depends upon application, and your example is incorrect.

bujuts

Green Belt
Reaction score
kenposikh said:
For the palm to be orthagonal (at right angles) to the path of action doesn't make sense either.

All I'm saying is that when I throw a vertical rising elbow, my palm is facing inward. I will keep the same relative orientation of the palm and the forearm. When striking with a horizontal inward elbow, my palm will be down.

Thanks for the dialogue, all. I enjoy this forum, I usually don't get a whole lot of technical input from the kenponet, so appreciate the opportunity you all offer.

Cheers,

Steven Brown
UKF

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
bujuts said:
All I'm saying is that when I throw a vertical rising elbow, my palm is facing inward. I will keep the same relative orientation of the palm and the forearm. When striking with a horizontal inward elbow, my palm will be down.
Steven Brown
UKF
Yeah you'll be tested over here. The guys are really smart and you must come with your "A" game. On the vertical rising elbow we agree, however without accessing the autonomic nervous system utilizing a PNF mechanism, it too will be weaker than it could be if done correctly. Stay here. Don't go back to Kenponet.

Latest Discussions