Strike to the head-Palms only?

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, We did a demo yesterday and my part was to break 5 bricks 2 x 4 x 12 inches. The break went very well except I end up hitting the bricks with the last three knuckes. Now my palm near the baby finger is swollen. Yep I hit it wrong.....my fault

I have heard some styles use Palm strikes only to the head. What are your thoughts on this...being so many people end up hurting their hands/joints from hitting the head with their fist?

We do have palm strikes follow by the elbows (Left/Right sides) and also coming up to the chin from below. But our prime strikes are with the fist.

Started to think hitting more with the palm to the face instead of the fist?.....What are your advice?................Aloha

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a boxers fracture, palms and hammerfists are better alternatives.

Lamont

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
Blindside said:
Sounds like a boxers fracture, palms and hammerfists are better alternatives.
Lamont
That's pretty much my take on the issue. Use hard weapons to soft targets and soft(er) weapons to hard targets.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
still learning said:
Hello, We did a demo yesterday and my part was to break 5 bricks 2 x 4 x 12 inches. The break went very well except I end up hitting the bricks with the last three knuckes. Now my palm near the baby finger is swollen. Yep I hit it wrong.....my fault

I have heard some styles use Palm strikes only to the head. What are your thoughts on this...being so many people end up hurting their hands/joints from hitting the head with their fist?

We do have palm strikes follow by the elbows (Left/Right sides) and also coming up to the chin from below. But our prime strikes are with the fist.

Started to think hitting more with the palm to the face instead of the fist?.....What are your advice?................Aloha

I prefer using an open handed strike or an elbow for the reasons that you mention. People would be surprised at the damage that can be done with a palm heel.

Mike

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Sean Kelley a Kenpo stylist from Florida says, Slap the head, punch the body, Kick the legs. In general a good policy.

Jeff

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
kenpotex said:
That's pretty much my take on the issue. Use hard weapons to soft targets and soft(er) weapons to hard targets.

I'm a slow learner, I had to break my right hand to figure that little rule out.... :idunno:

Lamont

M

MisterMike

still learning said:

People who train to condition their fists will hit more safely with their fists.

If you should miss with the front two knuckles, well you miss. Accidents happen. But a conditioned karateka will have no quams punching someone in the head.

Of course, "head" is not a specific target. There is chin, nose, cheekbone, temple, base (rear), crown, eyes/orbitals, etc. that can be selected as targets and are good targets for the fist.

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
MisterMike said:
People who train to condition their fists will hit more safely with their fists.

If you should miss with the front two knuckles, well you miss. Accidents happen. But a conditioned karateka will have no quams punching someone in the head.

Of course, "head" is not a specific target. There is chin, nose, cheekbone, temple, base (rear), crown, eyes/orbitals, etc. that can be selected as targets and are good targets for the fist.
True, but for those of us without the time for that training or those not willing to risk long term crippling arthritis in their hands the head is a risky target for a fist.

Boxers spend hours training and striking, they wear padded gloves and wrap their hands and yet they still frequently fracture their 5th metacarpal.

Respectfully submitted,

Jeff

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I teach the use of the palm strike to the body in a similar manor as the ridgehand. It is a bit safer than using the ridgehand in that it does not apply lateral stress to the wrist.

As for using the palm only to the head I give my students some simple advice.
Hit soft targets with a hard weapon and hit hard targets with soft weapons. This helps prevent hard on hard contact which saves a lot of casts and time in the E.R.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
still learning said:

You have a boxers fracture. I'd get that checked out. My boyfriend did the same break (with boards) and his hand swelled instantly. He didn't go to the ER thinking it would go down. But I talked him into going, and it turned out that he had a boxers fracture (I saw the x-ray, it was cool to see the break ... not cool for him, though LOL).

As for your question, we are taught to hit the underside of the nose with palm strikes, as well as fists. We are not taught to hit the hard part of the head with fists. We also aim to hit the lower jaw area or the neck with hand techs.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
B, but... The MMA types on rec.martial-arts say that punches work and open handed strikes don't really accomplish much.

K

kenpochad

Keith Hackney knocked Yarbarough (a 68, over 650 lbs., sumo fighter)
down with a palm in UFC 3

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
MisterMike said:
This is very true. The bones of the face are quite fragile, and easily broken with the concentrated energy of a fist,where the force of the blow is generally focused in the area of a couple of knuckles.... However, I prefer a palm-heel strike when targeting the chin, mouth or the side of the head to better protect my knuckles and fingers.

In general, I have a preference for palm-heel strikes. I think they are more efficient at transferring the energy from your arm to the target with less probability of mis-alignment and injury than with a fist. The biggest negative in my mind with the palm-heel is that you give up a couple of inches in reach, but in reality, if reach is an issue in a given situation, I'd rather be kicking anyway.

As for strikes to the head in general, I think philosophically they are overrated. Most fighters put the highest priority on protecting their face & head, leaving very fragile nearby targets wide open. Example, I would much rather target your collarbone or A-C junction with a knife-hand or a fist. Very few people think about protecting this area, and a well placed strike there of even medium force will effectively turn your opponent into a "one-armed man". Amazing how hard it is to protect your face after someone has broken your collarbone or separated your shoulder with one punch while you were worried about your face.....

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Palm shots to the head are good for protecting the hand and good for preventing cutting whoever is receiving the hit. However with respect to blunt force in some cases a heel palm can be worse. Without the small bones of the hand to absorb some of the energy of impact the target takes more of the transfered force. Just a thought. Use the palm because of the "softer" surface but also lessen the force of the blow in training to reduce blunt force.

Latest Discussions