Sparring with braces

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
Our instructor recently made everyone get mouthpieces. A friend of mine has braces, and can't use his. Has anyone encountered this problem before? Are there special mouthpieces for braces? If one doesn't exist, how do people with braces overcome the risk of damage to the teeth/jaw while sparring?

samurai69

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Never come across the problem, but i would have thought the custom made mouth guards would work

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm sure your friends orthodontist can help him out with that. A lot of people with braces play sports that require mouthpieces, so they should be able to get him set up with what he needs. :)

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yup, my daughter had one made for her braces. He wanted her to have a good mouth piece to protect her teeth and avoid any damage to the braces from sparring. Get your friend to see his orthodontist. :)

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have braces (yeah, I know...I'm old)

Your friend's orthodontist will likely include at least one mouth guard at no additional charge as part of his treatment. He just needs to ask his ortho for it.

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
lady_kaur said:
I have braces (yeah, I know...I'm old)

Your friend's orthodontist will likely include at least one mouth guard at no additional charge as part of his treatment. He just needs to ask his ortho for it.

If you are lucky, your orthodontist will make sure at all phases of treatment appropriate mouthguards are provided. My daughter has had two already with her orthodontist as her teeth are shuffled around and extractions done. He hasn't charged us anything extra.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Loki said:
Our instructor recently made everyone get mouthpieces. A friend of mine has braces, and can't use his. Has anyone encountered this problem before? Are there special mouthpieces for braces? If one doesn't exist, how do people with braces overcome the risk of damage to the teeth/jaw while sparring?

There is a thread on Mouthguards here. Some good suggestions and information regarding mouthguards including stuff about kids with braces. Check it out. Hope it helps. :)

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey, we all threw all out mouthpieces away-good riddance! We spar with headgear with simple bar cages and it works great. We got them from Century @ http://www.centuryma.com/

Braces no problem with them! TW

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As others have said - have the student speak to his/her orthodontist - they can make or provide (I've seen both) mouthguards intended for braces. It happens all the time - in fact, my dentist (who has the same instructor I do) offered to adjust mine for me if I needed it done - and I don't have braces.

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
The kind of facemask tiger woman is talking about... you can really mess up your feet on those

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sam said:
use the boil-and-bite kind.

I see we have a bit of a mean streak in us, don't we? :p

I tried that with my son when he first got his braces. Kinda forgot metal is a great conductor of heat....

After I peeled him of the ceiling, we went to his orthodontist and had a custom one made. Silly dad.:rolleyes:

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sam said:
The kind of facemask tiger woman is talking about... you can really mess up your feet on those

We've been using them for two years, the whole school and no one has gotten hurt. Its not enough to hook your feet into. It seems to jar the person with the headgear more. TW

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have braces (at 28...lol) and I figure if im paying $6,000 for straight teeth I aint letting anyone hit me in the mouth.

I have sparred a lot in the past and possibly will in the future but as long as I have braces, no head shots allowed, my teeth are more important than sparring.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sam said:
I have braces, it was okay...

odd.

Maybe it's the type of braces then, or I got the mouthpiece too hot. Regardless, he feels it was a negative experience. Who knew...Do you have the clear ones or the full blown metal ones?

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
the pain in the *** metal ones.

BUT!

I have an appointment on friday and the suckers are comin off soon...
heh
heh
heh...

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Loki said:
I guess he just cant get hit in the mouth. Make sure the people he is sparring with have control.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I remember when I was about 13, and had braces. I wasn't involved in any MA then, but I played saxophone in the marching band. I was told to buy wax to place over the metal. You can get this at the local pharmacy- they're just little sticks, and are called denta wax. It'll protect the inside of your mouth, but isn't a replacement for a mouth gaurd.

Latest Discussions