Effectiveness VS. Safety

MrE2Me2

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello Danjo,

You posted, “Well, you're saying the same thing I am except you're adding the slow start aspect to it.”

Yes, I am, IÂ’d even go so far to say that you said it better than I.

You also posted, “It's hard to get around the idea that you need contact and a bit of rough and tumble to create an effective fighter.”

UhÂ…I apologize for not being clearer.

Needing a bit of contact is a personal choice.
ItÂ’s just something IÂ’ve come to desire in my own development.

But when I teach, itÂ’s a different thing.
I have found I can help others to become effective without resorting to rough and tumble until later in their development.

You posted earlier, “I agree that one should train to get hit per se, but you have to admit that if you aren't getting hit once in a while, you're not training very hard.”

I agree, although I have seen incidents where too much rough can have a negative effect.
ItÂ’s usually easier to start fresh than to have to go back and correct a traumatized viewpoint.
For me, balance is the key (as it seems to be for you too).

Regards, MrE2Me2

Without prejudice
E&OE

OP
Danjo

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello Danjo,

You posted, “Well, you're saying the same thing I am except you're adding the slow start aspect to it.”

Yes, I am, IÂ’d even go so far to say that you said it better than I.

You also posted, “It's hard to get around the idea that you need contact and a bit of rough and tumble to create an effective fighter.”

UhÂ…I apologize for not being clearer.

Needing a bit of contact is a personal choice.
ItÂ’s just something IÂ’ve come to desire in my own development.

But when I teach, itÂ’s a different thing.
I have found I can help others to become effective without resorting to rough and tumble until later in their development.

You posted earlier, “I agree that one should train to get hit per se, but you have to admit that if you aren't getting hit once in a while, you're not training very hard.”

I agree, although I have seen incidents where too much rough can have a negative effect.
ItÂ’s usually easier to start fresh than to have to go back and correct a traumatized viewpoint.
For me, balance is the key (as it seems to be for you too).

Regards, MrE2Me2

Without prejudice
E&OE

Actually, maybe I was unclear. I wasn't disagreeing with you on this.

MrE2Me2

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello Danjo,

You posted, “Actually, maybe I was unclear. I wasn't disagreeing with you on this.”

Wups! My badÂ…I misread you response.

Regards, MrE2Me2

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've been to a few studios while learning MA.

Studio #1:
We never sparred.
We never did resistance training.
We never did any conditioning (push ups, sit ups, stretches).
We never hit a bag, focus mitts, or each other.
I never had a bruise.

I asked the head instructor why this was so. He replied that the art was so devastating that we only play act the actions. I left after three months.

Studio #2:
We spar.
We resist to see if the techniques work.
We do tons of conditioning where we are breathing hard and sweating buckets then are required to perform the technique against a bag and sometimes each other.
We hit the chest and arms pretty hard, but gentle soft hits for the face.
We ALL have bruises somewhere every now and then.

The instructor said better to cry in the studio so you can laugh in the streets (I paraphrased).

I'm still training in Studio #2.

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've been to a few studios while learning MA.

Studio #1:
We never sparred.
We never did resistance training.
We never did any conditioning (push ups, sit ups, stretches).
We never hit a bag, focus mitts, or each other.
I never had a bruise.

I asked the head instructor why this was so. He replied that the art was so devastating that we only play act the actions. I left after three months.

Studio #2:
We spar.
We resist to see if the techniques work.
We do tons of conditioning where we are breathing hard and sweating buckets then are required to perform the technique against a bag and sometimes each other.
We hit the chest and arms pretty hard, but gentle soft hits for the face.
We ALL have bruises somewhere every now and then.

The instructor said better to cry in the studio so you can laugh in the streets (I paraphrased).

I'm still training in Studio #2.

Well, "studio 1" would be fine, if you were learning tai chi.

Sounds like a smart move going with "Studio 2".

eyebeams

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I don't think regular, hard head contact is advisable for a non-professional fighter. Too many boxing studies have shown that brain damage is what happens when you get hit in the head a whole bunch over time, even if you aren't suffering full-on concussions.

If you take the associated risks, you'll be better than someone who hasn't. But for most people, the potential trade off isn't worth it.

Latest Discussions