Ed Parker movement VS his senior 1st generation students

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Harley Quinn said:
OK, here is the deal, I have given SGMEP much praise and respect. My simple question is not being answered because, no he did not. He was kind of above it at that point he did bring forth several systems and much controversy.
He taught one thing for a while and then changed and taught it different and by doing so angerd his first generation and second generation. They ended up not continuing in his steps but stopped at a crossroad.

There is no reason to attack me and reverse the hold you can't. One of the reasons Larry Tatum's name comes up and should is because he took the time to lay down everything in video tape so it would be there for all to see. Something SGMEP did not do. He was going to do it but did not and then when it was being done he was on the wrong train and to old to compete with the new guys. Pretty simple. Huk Planas was another. Who did he replace?

When it come's to discussion, stay with the point I was making and don't attack me. I know he created a good system, but others came up and replaced him. Which is exactly what he wanted by the way.

He tried, like all martial artists to stay one step a head of his students, he did this by changing things and finally he came up with the Infinite Insight
volume and barely was able to do that. He referenced books that he was writing and never finished, for he died prior to doing that.

His Encyclopedia of Kenpo which was finished by his son and his (EP) wife. It was in full swing or else I don't believe Edmund would have been able to complete it. Other books that SGMEP talked about writing have never hit the shelf. He had not started on them other than at the moment of the creation in his mind while writing the one he was in.

In my opinion 'Have a great Kenpo day' said it right out of the get go. Brother John you agreed with him and now you are trying to make me the goat. Don't go there.
Trophies and ribbons are only shallow and false to those who don't posses them. IMHO. Or maybe George C. Scott was right?

Harley

I have NO idea where you get your ideas.

• I never said you did’nt praise or respect Mr. Parker. I never said you disrespected him or put him down either. You are drawing things out of what I said that I Did NOT say.
  • How close to Mr. Parker were you? Your reply here made it sound like you had an inside track on his plans, motivations and intentions. The vast majority of his first generation students don’t even come close to claiming that much.
  • Attack you? “Reverse the hold”?? Take yourself pretty seriously huh? I wasn’t being snide before…NOW I am. Can you tell the difference??
  • I don’t claim to know Mr. Tatum. From everything I know all I can tell you is that he’s a fine martial artist, had a wonderful instructor and is at least decent at marketing. But I will say this: I’d HIGHLY doubt that any success or achievment he’s had as a martial artist or Kenpo instructor comes to him as a Result of his Kenpo video series. They are a tool that some use as a reference and something the LTKKA has used to promote their association and make some money. (they are well made after all)
  • I DID stay to the point, you asked if he had lots of trophies to show he had excellent motion….I said I felt that was superficial and HIGHLY irrelevent and that there are better criteria.Don’t like the point?? Deal with it, it’s simple fact. Refute my claims with facts, don't try to paint me some other way.
  • I’ll “GO” where I please. I didn’t try to make you the “Goat” in any way.
  • Trophies and ribbons ARE shallow. They, at best, are reminders of good times and memory pegs for particular days when you were better than those who showed up. I’ve known LOTS of martial artists with rooms full of’m, but they weren’t “Great” martial artists by any stretch. Some actually weren’t that good at martial arts at all. They prove/show nothing more than the athletic endevours a person has taken up. Gichen Funakoshi, any “trophies”? Chojun Miyagi, trophies? Kenwa Mabuni, trophies? Mr. Chow? The Emprados? ….come on. You really don’t think that “trophies and ribbons” are THE halmark of greatness do you?

Show me where I attacked you in my original response?? Show me where I tried to make you into a ‘goat’…really, I dare ya.
Got a ribbon for you if you can.

Yer bro.
John
PS: Feel free to quote Mr. Scott.
I love good quotes, but they don't stand as evidence of truth... just pithy sayings.

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Mr. Parker didn't make official tapes at the end of his career but there are lots of videos showing him in action. Those tapes show power, speed, accuracy and control. When he hit he didn't just use his arms but struck using his whole body as a unit with sinuous whiplike motion accentuating the speed.
Did anyone mention that Ed Parker received any trophies for his movement or is this just 'hero' worship gone awry? Is there any proof to all this?
It is a question.
Harley
As to hero worship gone awry, I believe that there are a remarkable number of extremely skilled students of Mr. Parker's who still marvel at his mechanics. I believe that this coupled with the video i've seen far outweigh any trinkets earned competitively. Further, I believe that Mr. Parker along with a handful of others created the competitions and the trinkets handed out.

As to students of Mr. Parker's moving like him, I see a part of him in each of the student's I've met. Oddly enough the person I've met who moves the most like the Mr. Parker I've seen in videos from the '70's and '80's is Al McLuckie a Fillipino/Systema stylist.

Respectfully,

Jeff

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Brother John said:
I said I felt that was superficial and HIGHLY irrelevent and that there are better criteria.

I have a box full of medals that I won at tournaments over the years. I keep the box in the BACK of the closet. What does the medal mean? At best, it means I had a fun afternoon, and met up with some old friends who I only see once a year or so. Once the tournament is over and we all walk out the door, the medals mean NOTHING. There are far far better ways to judge a martial artist.

Bill Lear

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:
I have a box full of medals that I won at tournaments over the years. I keep the box in the BACK of the closet. What does the medal mean? At best, it means I had a fun afternoon, and met up with some old friends who I only see once a year or so. Once the tournament is over and we all walk out the door, the medals mean NOTHING. There are far far better ways to judge a martial artist.
Sounds like you should throw them away. The space in your closet could be used for something else.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Bill Lear said:
Sounds like you should throw them away. The space in your closet could be used for something else.

Eventually, when I have enough, I am going to make a suit of armor out of them.
icon10.gif

OP
A

Atlanta-Kenpo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
WOW!,

I never really considered Al McLuckie simply because he studies and teaches Kali/Systema. Now, that being said I have had the pleasure to take quite a few seminars from Al and have been hit by him and it was like nothing I have ever felt. In my opinion he is the most amazing martial artist that I have ever personaly seen. Not only is he explosive like no one that I have ever seen, he has a sort of snake like movement anlog with the agility of a cat. Other then that he is simply a really nice and cool guy to have a beer with.

Who here has seen Al and what r ur thought on what he has done for Kenpo? I ask that because I beleave that he mainly does seminars ti kenpo schools.

hongkongfooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
Beats me. I've never had the pleasure of witnessing how Mr. Parker moved.

HKF

kenpotroop

Green Belt
Reaction score
I personally train with Jim Mitchells son Jerald Mitchell and have for 9 years. From all the videos I've seen of Mr. Parker I would have to say Jerald Mitchell moves real similar to Mr. Parker and he just continues to get better. Anyone that has seen him in tournments could see the similarity. I'm very happy to be learning kenpo and plan on keeping at it until I can't walk anymore.

Latest Discussions