Which Of the 1st generation seniors do you think is the best mover

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't aspire to move like any of the Kenpo Seniors as my recent training has taken me in an entirely different direction.

I would like to be able to grow a mullet like Larry Tatum though.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Old Fat Kenpoka said:
I don't aspire to move like any of the Kenpo Seniors as my recent training has taken me in an entirely different direction.

I would like to be able to grow a mullet like Larry Tatum though.
:roflmao:

TChase

Green Belt
Reaction score
Goldendragon7 said:
Having worked out with most of them..... they all are talented. As far as rough and tough go ......... I don't like being in the receiving end of ...Steve LaBounty, Tom Kelly, Bob Liles, Bob White, Mike Pick, Dave Hebler,Frank Trejo, Al Tracy, Chuck Sullivan or Ron Chapel. This is not to say that others don't hit hard either Paul Mills & Bryan Hawkins sure does pack a wallop also! As far as "Kenpo movement" goes Larry Tatum, Huk Planas, Joe Palanzo, Lee Wedlake, Skip Hancock, and a host of others move incredibally well!

Very hard question......... lots of talent here in many areas.

:asian:
I actually like being a target for Mr. Pick. Not that it feels very good but I sure do learn a lot. They say growth hurts!:uhyeah:

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have been on the recieving end of many 1st Generation BLack Belts. I must say they all have their own attributes making them unique. This is a very hard question to answer, most answers will be opinion from personal experience....

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
"Can't you just let a bad thread die?"

I recieved this as a bad ding on reputation. I actually don't believe this is a bad thread. Perhaps politically incorrect but not bad. This is the perfect opportunity to discuss movement in Kenpo. All of the seniors that I've had the honor to witness move well. there is a certain similarity between them which I choose to see as the center. There are differences however, perhaps an honest discussion of these differences would help others know who they might want to travel and see. When I started my instructor mentioned many sources in Kenpo. The names he mentioned most frequently were Mr. Wedlake, Mr. Planas, Mr. Trejo and Mr. Dye. No disrespect to others, in fact he always made it clear that Kenpo had many other fine instructors to see and learn from. I therefore made it my business to meet the instructors who had most inspired my instructor. I responded to the question and tried to give reasons for my opinion. It is the reasons for the answer which give this thread its potential.

One of the benefits of going to a seminar is seeing other people move. You are fooling yourself if you think that the brief technique taught will make you a better martial artist. Sometimes it's just a new way of looking at all of your techniques and sometimes its just a new way to visualize movement. Several years ago my then 13 year old son and I had the good fortune to take a mini seminar with Mr. Trejo at Mike Cappi's Fall Fling. It changed the way my son moved. I think he began to visualize movement differently.

It is too bad that people are afraid to discuss movement for fear of hurting feelings. Who would beat who in a fight would be a dumb thread. Who moves well and what do they do to make you believe they move well is potentially enlightening.

respectfully submitted,

Jeff

OP
A

Atlanta-Kenpo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
When I started this thread I was unsure of how it would go. My intention was to see what everyone thought about movement/motion as it pertains to their lineage. I have not seen all the seniors move and I wish that was not the case. It would be great if we had all of them on video so that everyone could see just how different kenpo can look by different people performing it correctly.

I think that they all have there stregnths

tatum + mills = speed/power
wedlake = fluid, balenced and deceptively powerful
planas= incredible timing + accuracy
steve white = fast + fluid

I have not seen anyone else besides the above mentioned %-}

O

onyx192

So far from what i've seen, I'd have to say Larry Tatums is probably the fastest as far as handspeed. You guys ever see his TOW's on his website.. He beats the crap outta his students.

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'll try a longer list and include some next generation guys.

Wedlake: Fluid, balanced and deceptively powerful
Planas: Incredible timing and accuracy, Mr. Planas never looks like he's hurrying and yet he's always moving faster than his opponent. On the recieving end my body feels disoriented and once he engages me he is in controll. Oddly it feels like central nervous system disorientation but is not pain mediated.
Trejo: Fluid and powerful, playful with a sense of humor. He's a big man who moves like a much smaller person.
LaBounty: Quick, powerful and intense.
Speakman: Big, powerful, cocky with flash.
Dye: Powerful, accurate like a brick with arms.
S. Kelley: Agile and fluid demonstrates how to use short stature to his advantage.
Chavis: Fast and accurate.
Schulte: Quick and intense with power and humor.
Whitson: Accurate with power.
Wheeler: (Now does systema) Maniacal intensity, addicting teacher.
White: Serious with a smile, explosive movement.
Tanaka: Fluid, Graceful
McVicar: Small with a quick accurate and remarkably powerful delivery. Size matters but she definately demonstrates how Kenpo can be used by a small person.
Liles: Power
Urquidez: Energetic infectious enthusiasm, remarkably fast with accuracy and power. My two boys found him mesmerizing and still speak 3 years later with pleasure about that seminar.
Cogliandro: Fluid Power
McLuckie: Not a kenpo man but extensive experiense in the Kenpo community. Fluid wave like power. Like a quick aggressive Granite boulder.
Hatfield: My instructor, Fluid and balanced like a mixture of Mr. Wedlake and Mr. Planas, 7 years of instruction and every lesson remains enlightening.

This is only a small list of available instructors and no disrespect to the others meant, I just have not met them. The advantage of meeting these people is that you can find ways to do Kenpo which fit your own body, ability and inclination. I'd love to move like Wedlake, Chavis or Trejo, their movement is poetry. It's just not likely to happen. Mr. Planas has been fabulous at demonstrating to me how I can move as best I can with my own limited abilities and aging body.

I never met Mr. Parker but I remain impressed the the sheer number of excellent instructiors he inspired and provided for us.

Jeff

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OK but how many of these are:

1) First Generation
2) Kenpo Senior (a 7th at the time of Mr. Parker's death)

I think that was the original topic, and we expanded the definition of "Senior" or I would have added a list like above.

-Michael

Brian Jones

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Now it looks like this thread is headed in the rigth direction, or at least where I think the original poster was headed. Not so much who moves the best, but what impresses you about how they move.

Brian Jones

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Atlanta-Kenpo said:
Of All the 1st generation seniors (Wedlake, Planas, Tatum, Doc ect) who do you think moves the best???
I still stumble around pretty good for an old fat man, so screw it. I vote for me. Sorry no one ever sees me.

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Doc said:
I still stumble around pretty good for an old fat man, so screw it. I vote for me. Sorry no one ever sees me.
Personally I like self confidence. We need to get you out here.

Jeff :ultracool

Latest Discussions