Which Of the 1st generation seniors do you think is the best mover

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I haven't met all of the first generation students. Given my limited set of choices I would choose Mr. Wedlake. He's fluid, relaxed and never looks like he's working hard. Trying to follow Mr. Wedlake doing a form is an interesting exercise. He never looks like he's rushing or working hard and I still have difficulty keeping up. It's a humbling experience.

Jeff

OP
A

Atlanta-Kenpo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I would agree with you as well. But then I am under Mr Wedlake so I may be a bit bias. I would say that Tatum is extremely fast + explosive.

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Atlanta-Kenpo said:
I would agree with you as well. But then I am under Mr Wedlake so I may be a bit bias. I would say that Tatum is extremely fast + explosive.
I've never met Mr. Tatum so I can't directly comment on that but he moves well in the video's I've seen. Mr. Planas moves in a very efficient and economical manner with power that is never obvious till he hits you. Mr. Trejo also moves very well. They all move better than me.

Jeff

Rick Wade

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My personal Vote goes to Mr. Pick.

Wow Wow
:bow:
I'm not worthy I'm not worthy

M

MisterMike

I'd have to say Elvis. Good hip movement and timing and the deepest horse stance I've seen.

*chuckles*

TChase

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have seen many of the 1st generation seniors in action and in my opinion Mr. Pick is without question the most effective Kenpoist there is. This past weekend was a good reminder of that.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have only been in a class situation with Mr. Conatser, Wedlake, & Planas. Each in their own right have many attributes that I like. As for who moves the best :idunno: I can tell you that Mr. Conatser hits the hardest while Mr. Wedlake and Mr. Planas are so very closely equal it's hard to say. Mr. Wedlake is more personable so where does this leave me :idunno: . No real particular answer. :asian: We can't compare everybody when everyone on the board has not worked with "every" 1st generation student.

We might as well revive the who would you like to train with threads again. :asian:

Big Pat

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The IKCA guys move very well. Mr. Sullivan even at his age still has ASP. Mr. LeRoux moves exceptionally well. In many ways he reminds me of Mr. Tatum. My first instructor Mr. Jeff English was very fast, he never even let me get close to hitting him.

EKP RIP

Big Pat
:asian:

XtremeJ_AKKI

Green Belt
Reaction score
Dark Kenpo Lord said:
Paul Mills is not a first generation.

DarK LorD

Trained directly under Mr. Parker.

Don't start. There's no need for this thread to turn into a mess simply to satisfy your need to be right.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Having worked out with most of them..... they all are talented. As far as rough and tough go ......... I don't like being in the receiving end of ...Steve LaBounty, Tom Kelly, Bob Liles, Bob White, Mike Pick, Dave Hebler,Frank Trejo, Al Tracy, Chuck Sullivan or Ron Chapel. This is not to say that others don't hit hard either Paul Mills & Bryan Hawkins sure does pack a wallop also! As far as "Kenpo movement" goes Larry Tatum, Huk Planas, Joe Palanzo, Lee Wedlake, Skip Hancock, and a host of others move incredibally well!

Very hard question......... lots of talent here in many areas.

:asian:

parkerkarate

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I totally agree with Mr. Conaster, there just is not one black belt that moves the best, there are many.

I have not seen Mr. Kelly do anything as of late, but in his prime he was excellent. Even though Mr. Palanzo has had his hip replaced he still moves very well.

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
In my very humble opinion, having only had the honour of working out with two first generation students,

Mr Tatum moves very fast and stylistically beautiful
Mr Planas hits deceptively hard for a guy of his stature
(I have served as a dummy for both of them in seminars, and all I can say is ouch!)
(Then again I think everybody likes to pick on the big guy at a seminar...)
However, being as the organisation I train under is Parker/Planas lineage I would have to Mr Planas of course...
By the way, altough he may not be strictly first gen, I recently had the pleasure of attending a seminar given by Mr Eddy Downey from Ireland who did train personally with the late great Mr Parker Sr and I can say with the conviction of one who has been on the recieving end, that he is definately no slouch...

Brian Jones

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have been in many seminars with the Kenpo seniors, or viewed them via tape and DVD. Its hard any time you use a qualifier like "best" becuase best could mean so many things. It could mean beautiful movement, or the fastest, hardest hitting, or just better than you.
While any of the seniors I have seen could fit in this category, with little arguemnt, I have to put Paul Mills at the top. Not just becuase of his speed and power, for which he gets much credit. But the way he moves his forms is also very impressive.

Brian Jones

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Mr. Conaster is right. All of the first generation BB's who have ascended to 7th or higher move well. If they didn't, they wouldn't have gotten promoted and they wouldn't still be active--or you wouldn't be discussing them.

This thread is as pointless as a Bruce Lee vs. Rickson Gracie thread.

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Old Fat Kenpoka said:
Mr. Conaster is right. All of the first generation BB's who have ascended to 7th or higher move well. If they didn't, they wouldn't have gotten promoted and they wouldn't still be active--or you wouldn't be discussing them.

This thread is as pointless as a Bruce Lee vs. Rickson Gracie thread.
They all move well and for the reason you make I almost didn't answer this thread. However the question was very specific "who moves best?" I have felt very fortunate to meet the seniors with whom I've been able to take a seminar. They all move well and everyone has had something to offer. None that I have met have any reason to be anything but proud of their Kenpo. they all move differently from each other (a strength of Kenpo) and those differences have been quite enlightening for me. I have heard it said that "nobody moves like the Old Man."

This thread could easily have become a shouting match but fortunately has just been a forum for people to express their opinion. So the question remains OFK of the seniors you've met, who would you most like to move like.

Respectfully,

Jeff

As to Rickson and Bruce, Rickson would have whupped Bruce but I would have liked the opportunity to have trained with either.

Latest Discussions