Ed Parker movement VS his senior 1st generation students

Atlanta-Kenpo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Which of the senior 1st generation top students (Tatum, Planas, Trejo, Wedlake, Doc, Sullivan, Kelly and several others.); do you think moves the most like Ed Parker and why?

Dark Kenpo Lord

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Atlanta-Kenpo said:
Which of the senior 1st generation top students (Tatum, Planas, Trejo, Wedlake, Doc, Sullivan, Kelly and several others.); do you think moves the most like Ed Parker and why?

None of them, they don't have the same physical attributes. All these guys have their own signatures, just as I have my own separate signature unique to me, and I move nothing like my instructor. Think like him, yes, move like him, absolutely not.

DarK LorD

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Gonna have to agree with Clyde on this one!!!
Doesn't seem to me that Mr. Parker wanted to have "Cookie-cutter" students and generate little "Parkers"....
but to create artists that were their own people, and could stand on their own two feet....
not on his.

Your Brother
John

V

VoodooChild

I think Doc Chapel is the only one that comes close. Just look at his record, Ed Parker Jr recieved his black belt from him. No other student has done that. Just contact Parker Jr.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Brother John said:
Gonna have to agree with Clyde on this one!!!
Doesn't seem to me that Mr. Parker wanted to have "Cookie-cutter" students and generate little "Parkers"....
but to create artists that were their own people, and could stand on their own two feet....
not on his.

Your Brother
John
Guess I misread the question. My Bad.
Sean

parkerkarate

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Atlanta-Kenpo said:

I would say Mr. Tatum.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
VoodooChild said:
I think Doc Chapel is the only one that comes close. Just look at his record, Ed Parker Jr recieved his black belt from him. No other student has done that. Just contact Parker Jr.
I appreciate the vote, :) but my promoting Edmund and how I move are mutually exclusive of each other. Additionally a couple of years after I promoted Edmund others like Huk Planas, and Frank Trejo also acknowledged and promoted Edmund as well. Once again, I do appreciate the rare vote for the "old man" who I think still moves pretty well like the real Old Man. :)

OP
A

Atlanta-Kenpo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Personaly, I always thought that Larry Tatum moves alot like Mr Parker with the exception of there size difference they seem to move a-like. In fact I beleave that I read in an Black Belt mag article that even Ed Parker himself stated that Larry Tatum moved like himself.

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
Okay, now let me ask the question that everyone has so wanted to ask for so long, but couldn't get themselves to type.

Do you think there is someone today that moves as good as Mr. Parker did?

Jamie Seabrook
www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
That's going to be a can of worms discussion. Without offending anyone there's going to be nitpicking of details to pin that one down. From what I've seen and granted, I'm new to Kenpo (bout a year) I'd have to say Dr. Chapel, and then Master Tatum.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
As for the oiginal question: I'm with Clyde and Bro John. We are all built differently so we're all going to move differently with our own unique way about it. I would have to say though that anyone that has spent alot of time with Mr. Parker would probably resemble him the most.

As for Jamies question: I'd have to go with Mr. Tatum

Mike

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Atlanta-Kenpo said:
Personaly, I always thought that Larry Tatum moves alot like Mr Parker with the exception of there size difference they seem to move a-like. In fact I beleave that I read in an Black Belt mag article that even Ed Parker himself stated that Larry Tatum moved like himself.
Here's a good question; Moves like Mr. Parker when? He wasn't born moving a certain way, and he evolved over his lifetime and his methods of execution changed as he became more knowledgeable of body mechanics. Another thread made the observation that Mr. Parker changed significantly. Then the other point is; How do you compare when you don't necessarily know what you're looking at? In general, all kenpoist move somewhat alike, howeer I see things that others may not. The more knowledge you have the more you can see an analyze what you are observing. I was watching a well known kenpoist doing Form 5 with another very well known kenpoist. He was impressed with the performance, I thought the body mecahnics were awful as I analized his movement as Mr. Parker had taught me. Consider yourself judging a gymnastics routine, that you thought was really well done, but the knowledgeable judges give it a low score because "they know what they're looking at." Observing motion is different from analyzing mechanics. My point is simple. These kind of questions will always be limited to the limited parameters of the observer and therefore are a moot point outside of his own subjective opinion. Me, I think I move like Barry Allen. :)

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I was thinking of more like Refridgerator Perry crossed with Emmett (sp) Smith. You're deceptively quick for a gentleman of your culinary prowess. ;-)

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
IWishToLearn said:
I was thinking of more like Refridgerator Perry crossed with Emmett (sp) Smith. You're deceptively quick for a gentleman of your culinary prowess. ;-)
Hey dude, don't blow my cover. That "fat old guy thing" works and I catch them off guard.

OP
A

Atlanta-Kenpo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Doc,

I know your use to hearin this but your right again! When I travel down to Ft Myers to see Mr Wedlake he points out the most suttle things about body allignmnet, posture and mechanics that I would have never noticed. So, what some of us thinks looks good someone such as yourself would think is not so good.

Who do you think are the best movers in Kenpo today (Besides yourself of course.)?

Talk about putting you on the hot seat!

Latest Discussions