Ed Parker Jr. names his father's successor: GM Michael Pick !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesB

Green Belt
Reaction score
For my 2 cents, a successor that doesn't teach the original version doesn't seem to be a successor. Like TOD pointed out many of those close to Mr. Parker Sr. have focused their version of Kenpo on the many different aspects one can separate from the orignial. I think it would be very difficult to use the "S" word it a strict sense.

In my opinion a successor to Mr Parker would be somebody who continued to evolve his kenpo rather than cling to what they perceive as 'the original'

respectfully,

jazkiljok

Brown Belt
Reaction score
That's not the case, I said "formal training" with it, i.e. when its what you're s'posed to be working on. You will get alot of exposure through the years.

And such is the case with all military operatives who've been introduced to his knife stuff. The introductory stuff works extremely well.

Hope that clarifies. Cheers,

Steven Brown
UKF

yes, it does. thank you.

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Edmund did make the correction. I don't think it's fair to say that the miscommunication was from someone with a personal agenda.

Is there no room in your philosophy for someone to make an honest mistake? Assuming that others had an agenda speaks more to your own motivations than to those in question here.

I was there; I heard what was said.

The word successor wasn't used, but I could see how some people could've interpreted the situation that way. So, 'honest mistake' is certainly something that should be considered.

Back to the point of successors in general -- it's a little late. lol.

--Amy

I hate to be blunt but an agenda could easily have been seen (It was my first thought when I read the KN post). The "Mike Pick is Mr. Parker's successor" train has been running for a long time and most recently by the person (ESPECIALLY on KN in seemingly every other post he mentions Mr. Pick when it's not even relevant to the thread topic) who made the "honest" mistake. Personal opinion...in this sense "successor" isn't a word you "accidently" add to what was actually said. But it's not terribly relevant. Like you said it's a little late and I'll add a little pointless.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate to be blunt but an agenda could easily have been seen (It was my first thought when I read the KN post). The "Mike Pick is Mr. Parker's successor" train has been running for a long time and most recently by the person (ESPECIALLY on KN in seemingly every other post he mentions Mr. Pick when it's not even relevant to the thread topic) who made the "honest" mistake. Personal opinion...in this sense "successor" isn't a word you "accidently" add to what was actually said. But it's not terribly relevant. Like you said it's a little late and I'll add a little pointless.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed that. No disrespect intended for that person, but it seemed to me that when Mr. Parker Jr. posted, he was quite disturbed, to put it mildly. I'd think that if someone was going to make a statement such as the one made, more caution would be put into the wording.

Mike

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have to imagine Mr. Parker hopes to continue to do business with all Kenpo Practitioners. He does, after all, market products to all of us.

If someone, impolitically, makes a statement that offends a group, or groups of practitioners, it may have a direct impact on Mr. Parker and his business.

It's one thing to think MY lineage is the TRUE lineage ... but, if my business is to market to ALL Kenpo players, the post certainly was a bad thing.

KenpoGunz

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
After thinking about it for a few days and considering all the input available. It does sound like a rather hard mistake to make.

Than again, why would anyone with an agenda make a huge public statement like that if they knew it could easily be refuted.

It does'nt really matter anyway but I've decided to reserve judgement. I simply do not know enough about the situation to have an informed opinion or judge anyones character.

I do know that I have a decent left jab and I have been itching to spar all day. Tomorrow can't come fast enough.
icon10.gif

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have to imagine Mr. Parker hopes to continue to do business with all Kenpo Practitioners. He does, after all, market products to all of us.

If someone, impolitically, makes a statement that offends a group, or groups of practitioners, it may have a direct impact on Mr. Parker and his business.

It's one thing to think MY lineage is the TRUE lineage ... but, if my business is to market to ALL Kenpo players, the post certainly was a bad thing.

There's a business end to this stuff? who knew? :)

Bode

Green Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone have a copy of the Mike Pick "Successor" poster? I have wanted to see it for a long time, but it seems no one kept a copy.

Either way, I'm with most of you. It wouldn't mean much. I'd just keep on training. No doubt all involved have some Kenpo experience, but it won't make me change lineage.

jazkiljok

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I hate to be blunt but an agenda could easily have been seen (It was my first thought when I read the KN post). The "Mike Pick is Mr. Parker's successor" train has been running for a long time and most recently by the person (ESPECIALLY on KN in seemingly every other post he mentions Mr. Pick when it's not even relevant to the thread topic) who made the "honest" mistake.

hmmmm, if this is the same guy they're referring to who got his 7th-- then it seems like all the name dropping paid off ...:D

hongkongfooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
I too have noticed all of the name dropping done by this certain poster on KN. He kind of reminds me of Brainy Smurf....Papa Smurf always says.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Before the posts in question were removed, I saw that it was said that Mr. Pick had spent more time with Mr. Parker than anyone else. Interestingly enough, I hear people say that Mr. Tatum spent quite a bit of time with Parker. So..go figure. IMHO, I think that other things should be taken into consideration, not just length of time spent with training with someone.

Brian Jones

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Even if Edmound Parker Jr. named a successor to his father, so what? I mean if you think his opinion has validity, then fine. If you don't, then why worry about it? We still have freedom of speech. People can say what htey want, its up to us to decide if it matters to us. In theend its not going to make anyone switch from who they train with now. I know I'm not. So why even worry about it?

Brian Jones

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There was mention in an earlier post about Mr. Picks style of Kenpo. Would someone be able to provide a more detailed description as to what his version of the art is like?
I had 1 seminar with the man. His style is save your butt in your face kenpo. He is a true kenpo master in my opinion.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I had 1 seminar with the man. His style is save your butt in your face kenpo. He is a true kenpo master in my opinion.

I guess what I'm looking for is a more detailed description. What makes his version different from Tatum, Palanzo, Chapel, or Paul Mills? This isn't intended to bash the man, but I've never met or worked with him, so I'm just trying to get a better understanding.

Thanks! :)

Mike

bujuts

Green Belt
Reaction score
I guess what I'm looking for is a more detailed description. What makes his version different from Tatum, Palanzo, Chapel, or Paul Mills? This isn't intended to bash the man, but I've never met or worked with him, so I'm just trying to get a better understanding.

Thanks! :)

Mike

Greetings, I'd like to offer something here, but its a rather daunting task to "describe one's kenpo", as I'm sure you can imagine. I actually started to, made it through two paragraphs, then realized I'd be glued to the chair for a while. So I looked at it, scratched my head, winced, then erased it all.

But a few topics that seem stand out to others are as follows, in no particular order.

1) The use of 12 Points of Consideration.
2) The system is Set-based, not technique-based.
3) The emphasis on mass enagement
4) Its use of the knife.
5) The systematic development of sponteneity.
6) Its emphasis on multiple assailants.
7) Its application in the military.
8) Its departure from some of Ed Parker's terminology.
9) Its tremendously handsome blue belts

Ok, so maybe #9 doesn't stand out, LOL, but nevertheless the rest of the topics are some of the things that others have noticed, asked about, and of which there have been subsequent discussions on this and other forums through the years. I'm more inclined to do a search for you rather than try to regurgitate (sp) some of it, depending on what you're curious about. But in the end, I can only get across so much given the written word.

Cheers,

Steven Brown
Universal Kenpo Federation

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Greetings, I'd like to offer something here, but its a rather daunting task to "describe one's kenpo", as I'm sure you can imagine. I actually started to, made it through two paragraphs, then realized I'd be glued to the chair for a while. So I looked at it, scratched my head, winced, then erased it all.

But a few topics that seem stand out to others are as follows, in no particular order.

1) The use of 12 Points of Consideration.
2) The system is Set-based, not technique-based.
3) The emphasis on mass enagement
4) Its use of the knife.
5) The systematic development of sponteneity.
6) Its emphasis on multiple assailants.
7) Its application in the military.
8) Its departure from some of Ed Parker's terminology.
9) Its tremendously handsome blue belts

Ok, so maybe #9 doesn't stand out, LOL, but nevertheless the rest of the topics are some of the things that others have noticed, asked about, and of which there have been subsequent discussions on this and other forums through the years. I'm more inclined to do a search for you rather than try to regurgitate (sp) some of it, depending on what you're curious about. But in the end, I can only get across so much given the written word.

Cheers,

Steven Brown
Universal Kenpo Federation
I don't know much about Mr. Picks version but I have heard #9 mentioned often.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not a Kenpo guy, but I lurk around the Kenpo universe on a continuous basis(hey, there's only so much that you can find out about Shotokan!), so you Kenpo addicts/practitioners(seems to be a mutual thing) take this as you will...

DOC FOR PREZ!
You made my day sir. :)

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't know much about Mr. Picks version but I have heard #9 mentioned often.

Handsome Blue Belts, eh? Well, if there are any out there that aren't spoken for, you can send 'em my way. :rofl:

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Edmund did make the correction. I don't think it's fair to say that the miscommunication was from someone with a personal agenda.

Is there no room in your philosophy for someone to make an honest mistake? Assuming that others had an agenda speaks more to your own motivations than to those in question here.

I was there; I heard what was said.

The word successor wasn't used, but I could see how some people could've interpreted the situation that way. So, 'honest mistake' is certainly something that should be considered.

Back to the point of successors in general -- it's a little late. lol.

--Amy
Honest mistakes? Of course. But the parties in question have a "history" of such mistakes. In fact Mike has been promoting himself as "Ed Parker's successor, and 2nd Senior Grandmaster of American Kenpo" for almost a decade. I'm not exposing any secrets here. Those are his words, (not my interpretation) actually sent around on a full color poster inviting everyone to the ceremony, as well as posted on his site.

There are other serious "issues" as well surrounding rank, longevity, and even his status with Mr. Parker at the time of his death, that most seniors are silent about but are COMMON knowledge among us. So these "honest mistakes" come on the heels of some signifcant baggage in many oldsters eyes. I have no problem with Mike Pick personally. He does his thing as do I, but the ressurrection of this successor thing is a huge leap back into the negative limelight, and I might add not by him.

I spoke with Edmund. He chose his words very carefully because he is a very intelligent man who understands the implications of such a statement. He said in no uncertain terms he never used the word successor. He was simply paying compliments to those in attendance during his speech, and said similar things about others as well. The word he used was "bull." Indicating Mike Pick has always been a "bull" in pursuit of Kenpo and was a longtime student of his father. Clearly a description that could fit a lot of us. Edmund knew exactly was he was saying, and not saying. So that is a dead issue. Mike's accomplishments stand alone and do not have to be hyped by an overzealous newly promoted student perhaps with his own agenda who "honestly mistook" the word "Bull for "successor."

Mike Pick has found his path in Kenpo and is exemplary at it, and served his country well as a United States Marine during the Viet Nam era. I for one thank him his for his service and what he has done for all of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions