Easy to Carry, Easy to Use Self Defense Weapons

tim po

Green Belt
Reaction score
This is demonstrably not true.
How many of these have square handles or jimping on the spine?

Heck, just ask Chefs who say that thumb on the spine is "not common" and "the least popular"

I have. And I think you're over-estimating your abilities.
i'm sorry, when did you draw a knife on me??

children, please! you might recall the original thread was a person asking about easy to use weapons, for a female friend who has no traing. that is who i am responding to, anything i put forth on this thread is in respponse to that exact criteria. i wasn't talking to you guys, you go ahead and do whatever you want. but i still will go on telling untrained people( by that i mean cluelessly untrained people, ok that better? you self-trained prodigy types are a different story) that there are better options for self defense carry. i didn't realize i was on a middle-school forum, y'all have fun. try not to cut yourselves.

Last edited:

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
i'm sorry, when did you draw a knife on me??
You very specifically wrote, "if someone drew a knife on me, even from 3' away, who failed to recognize the (tied for ) first rules mentioned above, that knife would be in my hands before they could blink. think about it." So, at your request, I thought about it. Then I wrote the conclusion I came to after thinking about it (per your specific request).

children, please! i didn't realize i was on a middle-school forum, y'all have fun. try not to cut yourselves.
Your problem started when you made claims that were demonstrably untrue. If you wish to try to make yourself feel better by claiming other people are being immature by presenting actual proof contradicting your (now demonstrated) false position, well, that's your issue.

tim po

Green Belt
Reaction score
This is intended as satire, right?
Statistics exist to support incomplete pictures with impressive sounding figures. no number is relevant except in relativity to all other numbers that complete the whole picture. statistics allow you to quote just the number that supports your argument, and nothing more. you don't have the other numbers. if anyone does, it wasn't considered relevant.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Statistics exist to support incomplete pictures with impressive sounding figures. no number is relevant except in relativity to all other numbers that complete the whole picture. statistics allow you to quote just the number that supports your argument, and nothing more. you don't have the other numbers. if anyone does, it wasn't considered relevant.
So we can add "statistics" to the list of things you don't really understand. Thanks.

tim po

Green Belt
Reaction score
So we can add "statistics" to the list of things you don't really understand. Thanks.
one of us don't. you have only demonstrated pettiness and an extreme need to be right. and the other dude sounds like a crackhead,idk. i think i'm done 'sharing' with you.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
one of us don't. you have only demonstrated pettiness and an extreme need to be right. and the other dude sounds like a crackhead,idk. i think i'm done 'sharing' with you.
Look, when you say things that are so obviously and easily proven wrong you are going to get called on it. Your better bet is to accept that you said something that was wrong and just move on instead of doubling down and then making silly claims about other people's supposed drug use.

Honestly, just say, "oops. I guess I was wrong" and it will be OK

tim po

Green Belt
Reaction score
Look, when you say things that are so obviously and easily proven wrong you are going to get called on it. Your better bet is to accept that you said something that was wrong and just move on instead of doubling down and then making silly claims about other people's supposed drug use.

Honestly, just say, "oops. I guess I was wrong" and it will be OK
i'm not wrong.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Oh yeah I've bookmarked that site thank you. Possibly after the holidays I'll be able to get one of those and try it out.
The guy is very nice, you can ask him to pick the weight and the diameter( hard to get both right though). Just remember, my rule of thumb is weight is about 2inches for every oz. The cane is about 37 to 38" long, if you want it to be 32", you need to cut off say 6", that is 3oz. So, it you want 13oz, you ask for a 16oz stick. That's getting quite heavy. Mine cut to 31", with the rubber foot, it's 13oz.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
i'm not wrong.
Is that like you weren't wrong about using keys for self defense, or not knowing the actual purpose of a fuller ( not a blood groove)? Hey speaking of which, you never did explain how a blood groove( excuse me, a fuller) aids in penetration.

For someone who's not wrong , your batting average aint so great.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Is that like you weren't wrong about using keys for self defense, or not knowing the actual purpose of a fuller ( not a blood groove)? Hey speaking of which, you never did explain how a blood groove( excuse me, a fuller) aids in penetration.

Well, considering that he doesn't understand statistics, the idea that his average isn't good probably doesn't trouble him at all. ;)

next time you have a martial arts argument online.jpg

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Attachments

• next time you have a martial arts argument online.jpg
    next time you have a martial arts argument online.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 77

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
googling statistics to support your argument is weak. stop that.

when you cut veggies, you put your thumb on the spine of the knife, yes? most people will always hold every knife they hold that way, because thats the only way they have ever held a knife.
Hey, I don't care one way or the other on this argument, but anyone who has ever been taught proper knife skills for a kitchen does NOT hold the knife this way. In fact, I've never even heard of someone putting their thumb on the spine of a chef's knife and honestly can't visualize what that would even look like.

I have seen some folks who don't know better put their index finger on the spine as shown in the second frame of the image below. If that's what you mean, that's a very bad habit.

The proper way to hold a chef's knife is in the third window. If you hold it this way, you have a lot of control over the knife, know exactly where the cutting edge is, and can chop your veggies and meat like a pro.

main-qimg-e6c99d2d35fb02ae3db5a813dfd59d83.jpg

So, I guess, on the one hand, we can say that some untrained people don't know how to properly hold a chef's knife. But then, that would suggest that a person who has good knife skills in a kitchen isn't entirely untrained....

jstacy1228

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The guy is very nice, you can ask him to pick the weight and the diameter( hard to get both right though). Just remember, my rule of thumb is weight is about 2inches for every oz. The cane is about 37 to 38" long, if you want it to be 32", you need to cut off say 6", that is 3oz. So, it you want 13oz, you ask for a 16oz stick. That's getting quite heavy. Mine cut to 31", with the rubber foot, it's 13oz.

Thanks, it is good to know that and it's very helpful. I always have to learn quite a lot about particular sticks before I buy since I use them to walk. It's fun to just try out a lot of different ones, but sadly I don't have money to do that as much as I'd like!

jstacy1228

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hey, I don't care one way or the other on this argument, but anyone who has ever been taught proper knife skills for a kitchen does NOT hold the knife this way. In fact, I've never even heard of someone putting their thumb on the spine of a chef's knife and honestly can't visualize what that would even look like.

I have seen some folks who don't know better put their index finger on the spine as shown in the second frame of the image below. If that's what you mean, that's a very bad habit.

The proper way to hold a chef's knife is in the third window. If you hold it this way, you have a lot of control over the knife, know exactly where the cutting edge is, and can chop your veggies and meat like a pro.

View attachment 27760

So, I guess, on the one hand, we can say that some untrained people don't know how to properly hold a chef's knife. But then, that would suggest that a person who has good knife skills in a kitchen isn't entirely untrained....

I am embarrassed to admit that my grip does tend to go between picture 1 and picture 3, although my picture one grip usually chokes up on the handle a bit more. I do find myself going for the number 3 grip naturally quite a bit, though. I can't say I always hold it properly, I must admit.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thanks, it is good to know that and it's very helpful. I always have to learn quite a lot about particular sticks before I buy since I use them to walk. It's fun to just try out a lot of different ones, but sadly I don't have money to do that as much as I'd like!
One thing, if you want to use it for self defense, you should hang a heavy bag and strike it. It's very different swinging in air than to actually hitting something. This is exactly like punching and kicking, you need to practice both air and heavy bag.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I am embarrassed to admit that my grip does tend to go between picture 1 and picture 3, although my picture one grip usually chokes up on the handle a bit more. I do find myself going for the number 3 grip naturally quite a bit, though. I can't say I always hold it properly, I must admit.
the biggest problem with Picture 1 is that the person is gripping it so far back he/she doesn't have good control over the blade. if you're gripping up at the front part of the handle, close to the blade, and it's comfortable for you, you're probably fine. That said, if you commit to using the proper grip for a short time, it will very quickly feel natural, and you'll definitely notice your speed and control improve.

jstacy1228

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
the biggest problem with Picture 1 is that the person is gripping it so far back he/she doesn't have good control over the blade. if you're gripping up at the front part of the handle, close to the blade, and it's comfortable for you, you're probably fine. That said, if you commit to using the proper grip for a short time, it will very quickly feel natural, and you'll definitely notice your speed and control improve.

I definitely choke up on mine more than that in the photo. I feel like I wouldn't have as good control over the knife if I tried it that way in picture 1.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Guys, it is NOT that critical how to hold the kitchen knife for cutting in the kitchen!! I am speaking as an experienced cook(not professional) that cook to entertain at get together every week for years before. I did a lot of chopping, cutting and all for prep. I am not the typical stereo type man that the wife cook. As long as you have knowledge not to cut yourself, nothing is that critical. Like if you keep cutting with position 1, you will learn very fast it is not stable and you will move you hand closer to position 3. Nothing is that life or death!!!

Last edited:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's off-topic, but... I'm going to ask anyway. Why?

View attachment 27760
I am by no means a chef - I think if I take it out of the package before microwaving it, that counts as cooking from scratch. But blademaking is a hobby I've enjoyed for a lot of years.
While I don't know about the grip, I'd consider that a poor example of a chefs knife, mostly due to one thing. The bolster. Over time, with repeated sharpening, the blade will become narrower. At which point the bolster will contact the cutting surface but the edge will not. Rendering it impossible to perform the classic cut, where the blade rocks on the belly of the knife.

As far as easy to carry, easy to use self-defense weapons, you can't beat a handgun. I favor the Glock-19 myself, but my wife prefers the smaller Glock-26.

tim po

Green Belt
Reaction score

View attachment 27760

the first picture on the left (marked as incorrect for kitchen use) shows the correct way to hold a knife for killing a man. the one on the far right ( the correct way to hold a kitchen knife) shows exactly the way not to hold a knife for fighting, or you willlose it. this is exactly what i described, thank you steve for providing this pictoral aid.

Last edited:

tim po

Green Belt
Reaction score

i happily admitted i was wrong about the fuller, check the thread.
i stand by the use of keys as i described it. everyone who put me down can't think past punching someone with keys, or being unable to grab them in time, both things covered in my analysis. you guys are just dicks.

and citing stats does not prove anything, unless you cite the numbers those percentages were drawn from.

Last edited: