Forgotten throws of TaeKwon-do?

KickFest

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Although TKD is primarily a striking art, at my dojang we do learn SD wrist/joint locks which I love, as I'm much more focused on learning TKD as a martial art than a sport. Last week we got out the mats, did break falls, and chucked each other around in painful locks. Even though I'm somewhat battered (my wrist was very sore for a couple of days!) I have to say I enjoyed it :)

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone could recommend any good material that would be able to broaden my range of up-close techniques, but complement the TKD style. If the techniques originally come from TKD or HKD then all the better :supcool:

I've spotted this book by Iain Abernethy which seems quite interesting. Although his style is primarily Karate, the book does specifically mention TKD:
http://www.iainabernethy.com/books/chapter_throws_and_strikes.asp
If anyone has any of Iain's publications I'd love to hear what you thought of it.

I'm not looking for full-on grappling training; for that I would do a separate art. But I keep hearing that TKD originally had these close-range moves, and I would love to learn them and pass them on!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is a great book and he is a great person, I would diferently recogmend his books.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you're interested in improving your throws...go to the guys who specialize. I'd say Judo and Aikido (Hapkido being a close cousin to Aikido) would be where to go. Lot's of good books about both arts, better yet, do some cross training with a good intructor.

Peace,
Erik

OP
KickFest

KickFest

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys. Of course if I wanted to learn throws properly cross-training, as you suggest, would be the best way to go. I was just wondering if there were any good moves that I might be able to tack onto our SD stuff if I happened to come across them. I don't quite have the time or funds to do two separate arts at the moment. At the very least I want to be good at one first :)

StuartA

Black Belt
Reaction score
Most judo books have decent throws as part of them.

Any of Iain Abernethys books are a great buy btw!

Finally, throws are part of TKD and havnt been forgotten by all (ie. we stil do them regularly)

Stuart

OP
KickFest

KickFest

Orange Belt
Reaction score
throws are part of TKD and havnt been forgotten by all (ie. we stil do them regularly)

Just saw the video on the Rayners Lane tkd site and all I can say is wow! Your club looks amazing :erg: It's such a shame, too as I was going to start training at your club (having started out with ITF) but I can't make it back from work in time for your classes :vu:

It looks like Iain's books and Judo will be a good place to start. Ta :)

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yea it is a shame you cannot train with Stuart, but we must all do what is best for us.

StuartA

Black Belt
Reaction score
Just saw the video on the Rayners Lane tkd site and all I can say is wow! Your club looks amazing :erg:
Thnaks for the compliment.

It's such a shame, too as I was going to start training at your club (having started out with ITF) but I can't make it back from work in time for your classes :vu:
What times do you train now then?

It looks like Iain's books and Judo will be a good place to start. Ta :)
I know of another good book :ultracool

Stuart

vankuen

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I seem to recall learning a couple of joint locks and throws while training in Chung do kwan TKD. What have you learned thus far in your TKD studies as far as joint locks, throws, and self defense is concerned?

OP
KickFest

KickFest

Orange Belt
Reaction score
What times do you train now then?

At the moment I'm doing 7:45pm for weekday classes. The bonus is that my club is about 10 minutes walk from where I live, and about 5 minutes walk from the tube station so it works out well for me. I usually arrive just on time if I leave work on time (6pm at the earliest).
I trained for a month or so at the Docklands club, but it was about 11pm before I got home which meant I was knackered the next day.

Having seen what you do though, I think I will make some kind of arrangement to come and visit :asian:

Perhaps you can change jobs?

Hehe, it sounds so simple when you put it like that :) Unfortunately, I quite like my job at the moment. Maybe if I concentrate really hard on making my job crappy I can quit and move closer to the club :wink1:

What have you learned thus far in your TKD studies as far as joint locks, throws, and self defense is concerned?

Mostly stuff where someone grabs your dobok / arms / puts you in a headlock and you have to escape from the hold and apply some kind of joint / wrist lock on them. This has been standard practise for any dojang I have trained in, although the club I train at now is the first one I have been learning how to fall correctly and take people to the ground, then apply knees to the elbows, etc. Bear in mind I'm not an expert so apologies if this sounds a bit vague!

Zendokan

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
To the OP,
There exists an old book of the begin days of Taekwondo, there in are the locks and throws that were included original in Taekwondo. Later these sd-techniques were transferred to Hosinsul. It wil take me some days (max. a week) to find the title of the book and then you can start searching for a copy of it on ebay, because it isn't printed anymore, what's really a shame.

Greetz,

Zendokan

OP
KickFest

KickFest

Orange Belt
Reaction score
To the OP,
There exists an old book of the begin days of Taekwondo, there in are the locks and throws that were included original in Taekwondo.

If you could let me know the title when you find it that would rock :headbangin:

Zendokan

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
To the OP,
There exists an old book of the begin days of Taekwondo, there in are the locks and throws that were included original in Taekwondo. Later these sd-techniques were transferred to Hosinsul. It wil take me some days (max. a week) to find the title of the book and then you can start searching for a copy of it on ebay, because it isn't printed anymore, what's really a shame.

Greetz,

Zendokan

Richard Chun's 1976 book "Tae Kwon Do--The Korean Martial Art" (ISBN#0-06-010779-0)

it includes:
Scissor-sweep takedown (p.245)

Tomoe-nage (pp.236, 306)

Kosotogari (p.225)

Iriminage (p.234)

Scoop (p.235)

Single-leg takedown (p.263)

Shihonage (p.279)

Nikajo-osae (p.283)

Kote-gaeshi (p.286)

Figure-4 armbars (pp.290-293)

Breakfalls and rolls (pp.294-300)

Osoto-gari (p.302)

Ogoshi (p.304)

Seoinage (p.305)

Butterfly guard (p.307)

Closed guard (p.308)

Some 101-level armbars from bottom (pp.309, 311-12)

Hope you can find a copy of it.
An "old school" Taekwondoka (like me) of Bu**shido.com (*=L) told me about this book.

greetz

zendokan

OP
KickFest

KickFest

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, Zendokan.

But when you say 'An "old school" Taekwondoka (like me) of *********.com told me about this book.' are you saying the techniques in the book are rubbish? I'm only vaguely aware of the term ********* so sorry if I've missed your point.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zendokan

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
No, *********.com is another website for MAs, it started as a site to expose frauds and moneygrabbers in the TMA, MA and MMA communities.
It's a good site but for now there are a little too much MMA, BJJ, MT and Judo nutriders on it so TMAers and MAers are getting some hardtimes. But this is just a normal cycle. When the UFC competition will loose some of it's popularity ( and that will happen) the nutriders will leave and BS.com will become again a place to fight the fake masters, beltfactories, etc...

By saying "old school" Taekwondo, I mean a style of knockdown-knockout TKD that looks more like TKD + Muay Thai + Hosinsul and not the olympic sport that it has become today. Don't forget that TKD was designed after WWII and the Civil War by the militairy and those guys didn't train for an olympic sport

Greetz,

zendokan

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
KickFest

KickFest

Orange Belt
Reaction score
No, *********.com is another website for MAs, it started as a site to expose frauds and moneygrabbers in the TMA

Ah, thanks for setting me straight. Looking up the term on wikipedia, and the way it got filtered gave me the impression it was a derogatory term.

On amazon UK I notice I can get the book second hand, but there is also a version from 2007 by the same author. Will do some checking to see if they have the same content.