During pandemic lockdown have you found any new hobbies or things that you really enjoy doing?

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You know it's funny. Our dad was a carpenter/general contractor and my two brothers are as well. Growing up it was just part of your summer days working with dad. I can do general carpentry OK but am by no means a finish man and certainly not a furniture builder. I just never had the bone for it. Put a wrench or a wire or a computer in front of me and I do okay. I can swing a hammer and frame and it will be square and plumb but it will not be as 'pretty' as some.
Maybe I should define furniture...
End tables, console tables, night stands, stuff like that. Bed frame too, although it won’t be weight bearing as my current bed frame (adjustable bed) has legs and is fully supported; the one I’ll make will simply go around it for aesthetics. No couches, chairs, etc. Especially no dresser. I am looking forward to trying to make some outdoor chairs/couches for next summer though. That stuff is so expensive, so I’ll try my hand at it.

I’m good at stuff like that. Needing to cut and fasten every joint perfectly fits into my OCD. It takes me far longer than most others to build stuff like that. Not because I don’t know what I’m doing; it’s because I get way too OCD about it.

I’ll take pics of projects.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ooooh, new thing that I've enjoyed during lockdown: seeing how long it takes for my neighbours to take their bins back in after collection.

That and sitting in my backyard listening to and watching all the birdies that come play in our trees :)

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Maybe I should define furniture...
End tables, console tables, night stands, stuff like that. Bed frame too, although it won’t be weight bearing as my current bed frame (adjustable bed) has legs and is fully supported; the one I’ll make will simply go around it for aesthetics. No couches, chairs, etc. Especially no dresser. I am looking forward to trying to make some outdoor chairs/couches for next summer though. That stuff is so expensive, so I’ll try my hand at it.

I’m good at stuff like that. Needing to cut and fasten every joint perfectly fits into my OCD. It takes me far longer than most others to build stuff like that. Not because I don’t know what I’m doing; it’s because I get way too OCD about it.

I’ll take pics of projects.
I look forward to seeing them.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Ooooh, new thing that I've enjoyed during lockdown: seeing how long it takes for my neighbours to take their bins back in after collection.

That and sitting in my backyard listening to and watching all the birdies that come play in our trees :)
Make a squirrel obstacle course!

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
@Flying Crane you'd be proud!

Firstly, I was never really a weapons guy, haven't done any training with them, but always preferred empty hand stuff.

Come 2020! A few weeks ago as a part of one online class I frequently do, Sensei said we would do a session utilising the jo, but mainly to enhance our body connection, flow and learning fluid action from our body's centre. To enhance and deepen our understanding of karate principles. So, not having a jo, I went for a rummage outside the backyard, finding a broken off smooth wooden broom handle. Perfect! I taped over any sharp bits, and it worked beautifully!

The Goju ryu online sessions I've been doing, the also practice with Filipino sticks. So today they said we'd be using these on Wednesday, and said to chop a broom handle in half, the length for each stick being about from your armpit to your wrist joint.

Hmmm, really didn't want to cut up my professional grade jo... so outside I went. Round the side of our house there's lots of, shall we say... crap, so thought there's gotta be something (seriously, there's a bath tub, TWO boats, chairs, a lovely table which we resurrected, bike with no wheels etc... we do not however live in a dilapidated part of town! XD).

Was looking there for a bit, not finding anything, until I noticed some very tall thin trees. *lightbulb bing moment!!!* I grabbed a rusty old saw that we had (yes... another thing just layin' around...), and chopped it up!

Thought I did a pretty decent job, perfect length, it's a little wet inside the branch on any exposed areas (unsure of the type of tree..), so I'm letting them dry out a bit and they shall do nicely! They're not rounded at the ends so not sure what to do about that... but I'll mainly be holding them just before the end I'd assume (unlike the jo, which apparently you can hold cupping the end slightly). Might still tape over any rough bits unless anyone has any other suggestions..

'Tis fun these little adventures and thinking outside the box :)

Pictures:
- jo
- 2x "Filipino sticks"
e088eefeda0bdf7be5d91a7bfd0dd6fa.jpg
0d469c0eee84ad3ffa946550d32f6112.jpg

Latest Discussions