some things in my mind/rant/ I have no idea *** this is

Josh

Blue Belt
Reaction score
So, I'm new here. I really like this forum. I've been stuck home all day with the flu and this forum has given me something to do. It just dawned on me while writing a term paper.... I'm 20 years old. I'm not a teenager anymore..........

... in 10 years... I will be 30. Now, I don't mean to offend anyone that is over 30 years old (30 is not old)

It's just that I dont FEEL 20 years old. I have my life in order for the most part. I work, I'm in school. I know what I want to do with the rest of my life more or less. That is just the thing. Everything seems so... hmm.. set in stone. I think i'm going to go for a roadtrip with some friends this summer just to shake it up. I'm only 20 years old and I feel like i'm going through mid life crisis... damn.

I'm sitting here typing on a forum my thoughts about growing up when I should be typing a term paper for psychology. I want to get my PH.D someday, yet.. I don't want to be an "adult". The idea of fully growing up scares me to no end. I have friends that are getting married. Married... at 20... what the ****? GAHHHH. haha. This whole suit and tie growing up thing will never work for me. ever. I don't consider myself a rebel, or out of the norm. I'm actually quite average. I have my hobbies, (Martial arts being my fav) Ideas, beliefs like everyone else. Sometimes I just feel out of place. So many people are okay with the idea of losing all childish ideals. I'm not. I like being carefree. I like being somewhat of a dreamer.

I just thought i'd share that with you. Now, back to my term paper.
wow.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don't worry, your in school. Pretty early after High school as well. Give it time, the effects will wear off ;)

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi! :wavey:

Just wanted to say, my life is pretty much in order and has been for years but I still hold childish ideals and don't ever want to fully grow up. I will be 42 very shortly.

Welcome to the club! Don't sweat things, they won't happen if you don't want them to!

Lisa

OP
Josh

Josh

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thanks. I didn't think this would even get read, let alone replied to.
someone even gave me some good rep and told me to take take deep breaths.. haha

I hope to the be same person overall at 40 that I am now insofar as being carefree. I don't even know why I posted that, I guess I just needed to write it down.

thanks for the replies:)

OP
Josh

Josh

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It's good to be around like minded people haha.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wow. I didn't grow up until I had kids. Actually, I still haven't grown up.

I know what you mean. My wife keeps asking me if I ever plan on growing up. The answer is still no. By the way, she usually asks after I do something stupid and is laughing about it. I didn't get married until 33, and now at 43 I still have a hard time envisioning myself a day past 20. Sure I have stopped taking the absolutely stupid risks now that I have kids, but it doesn't mean I still don't WANT to sometimes. Thinking about the first post here I initially thought "Oh to be 20 again", but really looking at it, I wouldn't change places for any money in the world. I like being in my 40's; more respect, less BS if I happen to go out, People actually listen now when I have something to say, and the kicker- I still feel 20. :)

Joshua, enjoy it! I thought my life was set at your age as well, man was I wrong!

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Man, it is all good. You will have "Revelations" all throughout life. It is good though that you have a decent head on your shoulders where you see what it is what you want.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There is a saying that goes "Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional". Now growing old may not be mandatory, but the alternative really sucks, and at 53 I choose not to grow up.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Life is only set if you want it to be so. Go out and "shake things up." That's a good way to experience things...and in the end, that is all we'll ever have.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Life is only set if you want it to be so. Go out and "shake things up." That's a good way to experience things...and in the end, that is all we'll ever have.

Well said. :)

I will be 43 in two weeks and I don't feel my age all. I mean sheesh, to my ears it sounds old for me to be. But I FEEL 25! lol! I think *mid-life crisis's* are cyclical too. I remember feeling like I was going through a mid-life crisis when I was 30. Ha! Now I know better. I feel like I'm going though a mid-life crisis now! I really don't plan on ever "feeling my age". My mom is in her mid 60's and she says the same thing. "It sounds so old but I don't feel like I'm 66." Life is full of ups and down and there are seasons of life we all go through. Do the best you can with where you are and never give up hope for the future. :asian:

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know what you mean. My wife keeps asking me if I ever plan on growing up. The answer is still no.

Yours too Scott??? Most guys my age would rather sit in front of a TV for hours and take it easy..Me I'm happiest when I'm training..Like Pete Pan said "I'm Never gonna grow up."

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yours too Scott??? Most guys my age would rather sit in front of a TV for hours and take it easy..Me I'm happiest when I'm training..Like Pete Pan said "I'm Never gonna grow up."

I still watch cartoons. :D

Ok...so it's the adult swim variety...but STILL! :p

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
I still watch cartoons. :D

Ok...so it's the adult swim variety...but STILL! :p

43 last September, just ask me a question about "Cars" or "Ice Age" or... Oh who am I trying to kid, I have 4 boys 9 and under and think I like some of their cartoons better than they do. I like to refer to them as either "Cinimatic Animation" or "Anamated Shorts" Sounds better than Cartoon movies and Bugs Bunny cartoons.

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Everyone knows that if you haven't grown up by the time you are 35 you dont have to.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
refer to them as either "Cinimatic Animation" or "Anamated Shorts" Sounds better than Cartoon movies and Bugs Bunny cartoons.

Philistine!!! They were called cartoons when I was a kid, and they are still called cartoons now that I'm a big kid...

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well said. :)

I will be 43 in two weeks and I don't feel my age all. I mean sheesh, to my ears it sounds old for me to be. But I FEEL 25! lol! I think *mid-life crisis's* are cyclical too. I remember feeling like I was going through a mid-life crisis when I was 30. Ha! Now I know better. I feel like I'm going though a mid-life crisis now! I really don't plan on ever "feeling my age". My mom is in her mid 60's and she says the same thing. "It sounds so old but I don't feel like I'm 66." Life is full of ups and down and there are seasons of life we all go through. Do the best you can with where you are and never give up hope for the future. :asian:

Wise mom, Pam! I know exactly what she's talking about. I have yet to meet anyone my age (cusp of 60) who I've talked about this with who doesn't say the same thing—no one feels `older', much less `old'.

I've wondered about why this is.... have some ideas but no way to tell if they really hold water. But definitely this is a common feeling that people have about themselves.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
43 last September, just ask me a question about "Cars" or "Ice Age" or... Oh who am I trying to kid, I have 4 boys 9 and under and think I like some of their cartoons better than they do. I like to refer to them as either "Cinimatic Animation" or "Anamated Shorts" Sounds better than Cartoon movies and Bugs Bunny cartoons.
Hey, 43 is the new 23...

Latest Discussions