Do you love music?

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
The other day I was talking to my wife about a conversation she had with her little sister about music. When asked if she had a favorite band or song, my sister in law didn’t really have an answer. When asked if she has ever heard a song that was so good that it gave her the shivers, she said “huh?”
Today I had a panic attack. After taking some medication that is prescribed to me for this “affliction”, I calmed down and got lost in my work. But, as I was working, I found myself quietly singing the words to “Comfortably Numb” to myself.
The question I pose to my fellow martial talkers today is: Do you love music? Is there a band or bands that are hands down your favorites? As mentioned above, have you ever heard a song that was so good that it gave you the shivers? Are there songs that, either lyrically or musically, really resonate within you?
At the risk of sounding like an elitist, I think that if you can answer yes to all of the questions above, you appreciate music on whole different level than other people. Do you agree/disagree?

bookworm_cn317

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

The question I pose to my fellow martial talkers today is:
Do you love music?

Yes, I do.
Is there a band or bands that are hands down your favorites?

Yup, KISS is among them.
As mentioned above, have you ever heard a song that was so good that it gave you the shivers?

Yep, God Gave Rock N'Roll to You, Part II.
Are there songs that, either lyrically or musically, really resonate within you?

Yup.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I reckon my answer to the question "Do you love music?" is an unequivocal YES! :D

It's a subject guaranteed to evoke passionate debate in my book - that's one of it's reasons for existing after all. It's fuel and surrease for the soul.

As to ones that provoke very strong emotional reactions ... these are legion :).

For today tho', the one worthy of mention has to be "Turn of the Century" by Yes - that one nearly moved me to tears with it's tale of a man losing his love and turning his energies to a lasting memorial for her. I believe that it's loosely based on the myth of Pygmalian but that may just be apocryphal mutterings :D

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, to all questions.

As mentioned above, have you ever heard a song that was so good that it gave you the shivers?

"Here Comes A Regular" by The Replacements. That song saved my life.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, I absolutely loooooooooove music, I can't live without it. I have too many favs to name though. It all depends on what kind of mood I'm in. For the past few years the lyrics to Matchbox 20 songs have been particularly pertaining to my life. And of course, you can't get much more contemplative than Pink Floyd. I find the song "Time" especially profound.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
JBrainard said:
Do you love music?
Without question. Since I can remember being a small child I've always loved the sound of music in (almost) whatever form.

JBrainard said:
Oooh tough question and even tougher answers because like Pam there are too many favorites. I've over 1500 songs on my computer right now and the variety is broad enough to suit whatever moods/tastes I'm into at the moment. I often find myself listening to artful bands like Genesis, Supertramp, Yes, Alan Parsons Project, Pink Floyd and so on. But I've got hard to metal rock and then I got motown and country as well. Then the pop stars like Diamond, Denver, Striesand, Flack, Crow, to name a few.

JBrainard said:
Shivers? eehhh made me cry and continue to do so to this day? Yeah.

JBrainard said:
Are there songs that, either lyrically or musically, really resonate within you?
Now and Forever; by Carole King, Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow; by Roberta Flack, No Son Of Mine; by Genesis, Please Don't Ask; by Genesis, I-Robot; by Alan Parson's Project, Shine On You Crazy Diamond (parts 1-9) ; by Pink Floyd, Wish You Were Here; by Pink Floyd, Been Searching So Long; by Chicago, Tubular Bells; By Mike Oldfield, Take A Pebble; by Emerson Lake and Palmer, In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida; by Iron Butterfly, L.A. Woman; by the Doors, Brown Eyed Girl; by Van Morrison, Green-Eyed Lady; by Sugarloaf, and like Pam ... Time; by Pink Floyd... hits closer to home every year.

The list is endless.

by the way try this lyrics site sing365.com for a good source of lyrics to a lot of music. :wink1:

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
:D

Caver? Are you me? :lol:
Well I believe that we all have our counterparts (coun·ter·part –noun 1. a person or thing closely resembling another) somewhere in this world and sometimes... more than one.

Either that or we'd just get along famously if we were ever to meet in person. :idunno: Great minds think alike mate! :D

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The other day I was talking to my wife about a conversation she had with her little sister about music. When asked if she had a favorite band or song, my sister in law didn’t really have an answer. When asked if she has ever heard a song that was so good that it gave her the shivers, she said “huh?”

I could never associate with such a person on a more than casual level. It would be too weird, being a musician.

Today I had a panic attack. After taking some medication that is prescribed to me for this “affliction”, I calmed down and got lost in my work. But, as I was working, I found myself quietly singing the words to “Comfortably Numb” to myself.

My theme song is "Young Lust", while we're talking about Floyd.

Do you love music?

Yup. I have an honours degree in music (Jazz) performance, so that should say it all. But I'll continue anyway. :)

Yup. I'm a big fan of Yes, Rush, Led Zeppelin, The Who and Billy Talent and Alison Krauss. From a jazz perspective, I never get tired of John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Mike Murley, Michael Brecker, Pat Martino, John Patittucci, Jaco Pastorius, and Jimmy Raney. I'm also a fan of modern classical like Takemitsu, Reich, Ligeti, Messaien, Stravinsky, etc.

As mentioned above, have you ever heard a song that was so good that it gave you the shivers? Are there songs that, either lyrically or musically, really resonate within you?

Yup, and Yup. "The Pass" by Rush is a great tune lyrically. And their new album is a tour de force of superlative lyrics. Also, I got chills the first time I heard the Return to Forever album "Romantic Warrior". And "Bass on Top" by Paul Chambers... some of the greatest jazz bass ever recorded. And then there's Edgar Meyer... best arco bass work ever done, period.

So yeah, I like music. And I'm not a bad musician myself, methinks, but you should ask those that played with me, when I'm not around to hear. ;)

Best regards,

-Mark