Double Promoting

OP
N

nipper219

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Punishments tend to be things people don't want. If you don't want extra promotions, then more promotions would be a punishment.
True, however that is not at all how the martial arts ranking works.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
True, however that is not at all how the martial arts ranking works.
Martial arts ranking works how your organization says it works. Any discretion leftover is up to the person giving ranks. So yes, that could be exactly how it works.

MadMartigan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Screenshot_20230322_114920_Chrome.jpg

OP
N

nipper219

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Five ranks.

Just keep talking buddy.
Just because you have five ranks, doesn't give you any kind of power. You may think that you are 'all that', but you're not. You've just developed yourself an ego. Which is not cool or appreciated. So, I will keep talking. Out of the apparently more knowledge I have in martial arts than you do.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just because you have five ranks, doesn't give you any kind of power. You may think that you are 'all that', but you're not. You've just developed yourself an ego. Which is not cool or appreciated. So, I will keep talking. Out of the apparently more knowledge I have in martial arts than you do.
He was saying you've received 5 ranks as a punishment.

You may want to make sure you get the joke before you start touting your knowledge of it.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chill. People got jokes. You obviously didn't get them, but I think the vast majority of the world understands that the idea of a penalty promotion is just silliness.

OP
N

nipper219

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Chill. People got jokes. You obviously didn't get them, but I think the vast majority of the world understands that the idea of a penalty promotion is just silliness.
That clearly wasn't a joke. Also, promoting 5 ranks up can't be used a a punishment; that's not how martial arts work. Especially not the kind of martial arts I do. And, I am chill. Very chill.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
That clearly wasn't a joke.
It clearly was.
Also, promoting 5 ranks up can't be used a a punishment;
Of course not. Because it was a joke.

I think I will create a new rank, just for you, and promote you to it. You are now a level 14 High Imperial Chocolate Chip Camo Belt (that's a real camo pattern, by the way). That's a promotion of at least 20 ranks above whatever rank you held before. Congratulations. Wear it proudly, or I shall have no choice but to promote you to level 32 Gold belt with Pink and Green Fringe and a flashing LED strip down the center.
that's not how martial arts work.
But it is how jokes work. At least certain jokes.
Especially not the kind of martial arts I do.
You're what, a green belt? So your training experience is likely measurable in months. Please do tell me how martial arts work. I've only got 50-some years in so far. I'm sure it'll be informative. The other people you're kidsplaining things to? All have far more training and experience than you.
And, I am chill. Very chill.
1000_F_199895119_Kc7rykEK5VFvC2UB9Ea3SKFgXfUObhwl.jpg

You're a funny person.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
He clearly wasn't joking, so don't even suggest that.
I was joking. He was adding to that joke.
That clearly wasn't a joke. Also, promoting 5 ranks up can't be used a a punishment; that's not how martial arts work.
I've only been doing martial arts half my life. I've seen enough to know they work in a lot of different ways.
And, I am chill. Very chill.
It would not appear so.

Latest Discussions