Double Promoting

OP
N

nipper219

Orange Belt
Reaction score
It clearly was.

Of course not. Because it was a joke.

I think I will create a new rank, just for you, and promote you to it. You are now a level 14 High Imperial Chocolate Chip Camo Belt (that's a real camo pattern, by the way). That's a promotion of at least 20 ranks above whatever rank you held before. Congratulations. Wear it proudly, or I shall have no choice but to promote you to level 32 Gold belt with Pink and Green Fringe and a flashing LED strip down the center.

But it is how jokes work. At least certain jokes.

You're what, a green belt? So your training experience is likely measurable in months. Please do tell me how martial arts work. I've only got 50-some years in so far. I'm sure it'll be informative. The other people you're kidsplaining things to? All have far more training and experience than you.

1000_F_199895119_Kc7rykEK5VFvC2UB9Ea3SKFgXfUObhwl.jpg

You're a funny person.
Wow, so sarcasm follows you, congratulations. I've been training my whole life so careful with those assumptions buddy. Kidsplaining. Hmm, yeah, I don't do that crap. Plus I'm not a kid, so, I believe you're wrong. So, I would back off the sass level a couple notches. And, yes, I know, I am funny. :)

OP
N

nipper219

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Well, I still can't tell if you're being serious or doubling down on your sarcasm, so yes you are. And if you are being sarcastic, then this comment is pointless.
It's not pointless to me. And I was being serious.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So curious. Did you turn down your double promotion or did you just roll with it?

OP
N

nipper219

Orange Belt
Reaction score
So curious. Did you turn down your double promotion or did you just roll with it?

I just rolled with it. I figured that there wasn't much reason to turn it down. I was gonna get to green one way or another so I just went with it. I thought that I'd learn more skills since I went from white to green, but honestly haven't learned much more. But, anyways, I just rolled with it; I figured that my grandmaster wouldn't give me a rank that I couldn't handle.

OP
N

nipper219

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Ah. Then if you were being serious, I recommend you read it again with the idea that skribs, tony and drop bear were all making/continuing a joke.
Probably true. I just don't take jokes very well, or don't always get what they mean necessarily. Like, I seriously didn't see how that was a joke. Maybe making fun, but not a joke. In my eyes anyways.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wow, so sarcasm follows you, congratulations. I've been training my whole life so careful with those assumptions buddy. Kidsplaining. Hmm, yeah, I don't do that crap. Plus I'm not a kid, so, I believe you're wrong. So, I would back off the sass level a couple notches. And, yes, I know, I am funny. :)
Probably true. I just don't take jokes very well, or don't always get what they mean necessarily. Like, I seriously didn't see how that was a joke. Maybe making fun, but not a joke. In my eyes anyways.

HI,

You first post quoted above has a threat in it the way I read it.
Threats are against the rules here. I am being totally serious. No sarcasm. No Joke.
I could with a reading isolated from the other posts that it was just setting a boundary.
Yet taken as a whole ... , Just my opinion, which means next to nothing, maybe even less.
You stated above that it was not a joke and yet you being sarcastic and yet it might be a joke and you don't take them well, yet you are funny.
You didn't get it. I don't get the show jack-***. Yet, I get others do get it and enjoy it.
Just a thought, maybe read things with the intent of not being personal. And if you think it is just ignore the post.
I am not dictating, just commenting .
I hope you see the intent of this post. Because if I didn't care about the posters I would just not comment and let people get into trouble.
Yet I commented, because I saw in the end you last post quoted above.
Good Luck and best wishes (* Seriously and not sarcastically *)

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Explaining a joke sort of kills it, but since you didn’t seem to be getting it I’ll attempt to break it down.

This sort of humor is known as absurd comedy. Monty Python represents a classic example of the genre. The idea of giving you rank promotion as a punishment is silly. The idea that random people on the internet could hand out that punishment promotion makes it sillier. The suggestion of increasing the promotion to absurdly high ranks, as a punishment, by random people who don’t even know you, just escalates the silliness into surrealism. The humor comes from the dichotomy between the idea of a threat (of “punishment“) and the nature of the ”penalty” being suggested (promotion to grandmaster rank.) It’s like Monty Python’s Spanish Inquisition sketch where the inquisitors attempt to torture their victim with a comfy chair.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Explaining a joke sort of kills it, but since you didn’t seem to be getting it I’ll attempt to break it down.

This sort of humor is known as absurd comedy. Monty Python represents a classic example of the genre. The idea of giving you rank promotion as a punishment is silly. The idea that random people on the internet could hand out that punishment promotion makes it sillier. The suggestion of increasing the promotion to absurdly high ranks, as a punishment, by random people who don’t even know you, just escalates the silliness into surrealism. The humor comes from the dichotomy between the idea of a threat (of “punishment“) and the nature of the ”penalty” being suggested (promotion to grandmaster rank.) It’s like Monty Python’s Spanish Inquisition sketch where the inquisitors attempt to torture their victim with a comfy chair.
There's a sketch comedy group I really like called Studio C (although, like SNL, the cast has been replaced and it's just not the same anymore). I was watching a podcast of theirs, and they were talking about how a sketch sort of goes through stages. You basically keep repeating the same joke throughout the sketch, and it goes from:
  1. Kinda funny.
  2. Pretty funny.
  3. Really funny.
  4. Getting old.
  5. Stupid.
  6. Annoying.
  7. Absolutely hilarious.

OP
N

nipper219

Orange Belt
Reaction score
HI,

You first post quoted above has a threat in it the way I read it.
Threats are against the rules here. I am being totally serious. No sarcasm. No Joke.
I could with a reading isolated from the other posts that it was just setting a boundary.
Yet taken as a whole ... , Just my opinion, which means next to nothing, maybe even less.
You stated above that it was not a joke and yet you being sarcastic and yet it might be a joke and you don't take them well, yet you are funny.
You didn't get it. I don't get the show jack-***. Yet, I get others do get it and enjoy it.
Just a thought, maybe read things with the intent of not being personal. And if you think it is just ignore the post.
I am not dictating, just commenting .
I hope you see the intent of this post. Because if I didn't care about the posters I would just not comment and let people get into trouble.
Yet I commented, because I saw in the end you last post quoted above.
Good Luck and best wishes (* Seriously and not sarcastically *)
Well, thank you for your concern. Except, I took most of those comments personally because they were clearly aimed at me. Its whatever though, I don't really give a care to what they think.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow, so sarcasm follows you, congratulations. I've been training my whole life so careful with those assumptions buddy.
Really? Then why did you say, in your second post,
No, never done martial arts before this.

So unless you're the worlds most literate toddler, it looks like you've been caught in a blatant lie. Already. Whooops.

You are hereby promoted to level 32 Gold belt with Pink and Green Fringe and a flashing LED strip down the center.

OP
N

nipper219

Orange Belt
Reaction score

Sure, it kinda does kill it; but the whole joke was pointless. I don't even know how you'd come up with a joke like that. Besides the fact that promoting up to a grandmaster can't even become a punishment. But, hey, you said it was a joke, so.

OP
N

nipper219

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Really? Then why did you say, in your second post,

So unless you're the worlds most literate toddler, it looks like you've been caught in a blatant lie. Already. Whooops.

You are hereby promoted to level 32 Gold belt with Pink and Green Fringe and a flashing LED strip down the center.
Actually, you'd be wrong. That wasn't a blatant lie. Not that you knew this, but, I actually have been training my whole life. My dad is a blackbelt, and he has been teaching me my whole life and it wasn't up until now that I decided to actually attend a school. But, it still counts as training. So, yes, I have been training my whole life. You should first ask things instead of jumping to large conclusions. Why don't you focus on your life instead of trying to understand and pick apart mine.

Hanshi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Double promotions are generally given to a student for actually exhibiting that level of knowledge/ability and dedication. Think of it as a school "grade skipping". Not ubiquitous but it definitely happens. I have been the recipient of more than one "double promotion". In one instance I was promoted to a third dan in one art I had never specifically studied. My instructor asked me to do "a, b, c........". Well I had studied several arts and could - as my sensei put it - perform at 3rd dan level in that art! No, I did not feel I was qualified for that rank but my sensei insisted I was.

I've heard a number of times that "a kick is a kick, etc" Learn a specific kick in one art and you'll find it's pretty much the same in another art you end up practicing. Trust your sensei's judgement, be humble and accept the rank skip.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Actually, you'd be wrong. That wasn't a blatant lie. Not that you knew this, but, I actually have been training my whole life. My dad is a blackbelt, and he has been teaching me my whole life and it wasn't up until now that I decided to actually attend a school. But, it still counts as training. So, yes, I have been training my whole life. You should first ask things instead of jumping to large conclusions. Why don't you focus on your life instead of trying to understand and pick apart mine.
So, this actually changes my response to your original question. I had asked if you've done martial arts before, and assumed when you said you haven't done martial arts that means you haven't trained martial arts (I'm not actually sure how that is a distinction if you were taught by someone else who's a MA practitioner).

Now that I know you have trained before (and based on the forms you study, I assume your dad taught you TKD, and not that you've started studying all of those in the last few months), my answer changes. Especially if the forms were the same-my response changes from thinking that double promoting you is disingenuous, to not double promoting you would be disingenuous.

Personally, I would take a look at what you know, and how well you've learned it, and provide you with the accurate rank based on that (I also wouldn't refer to it as a promotion, it would be placing you at the proper rank within my style).

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sure, it kinda does kill it; but the whole joke was pointless. I don't even know how you'd come up with a joke like that. Besides the fact that promoting up to a grandmaster can't even become a punishment. But, hey, you said it was a joke, so.
Lots of people got the joke. The fact it flew over your head is not the joke's fault.
No, never done martial arts before this. Its Taekwondo. It goes White, Yellow, then Green. So it skips one belt. The belt is just a sign of ability, the information learned is for any rank.
In which post were you lying? The one where you said you've never done them before, or where you say you've done them your whole life?

Even if your Dad is a black belt...that can mean a number of things. It can mean he went to a mcdojo for a year. Or it can mean he trained in an old-school dojo for over a decade. It can mean he's a 1st degree black belt who is basically a beginner, or it can mean he's a 7th degree grandmaster.

"Training your whole life" could mean you trained every day for 3 hours...or it can mean you practiced with him once every other month for about five minutes while he taught you one move, and then you got bored and played video games. Or a lot of things in-between.

Even if you are telling the truth in this post, and your Dad is a legitimate trainer, and you actually spent a reasonable amount of time training, you have not been a part of the culture of a dojang. To tell people who have been a part of that culture for a long time that you know the culture better than they do is just silly.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You have stated that you never trained before this and that you have trained your whole life. Those two statements are mutually incompatible. One of them is undeniably a lie, no matter how you squirm and backpedal.

Wait... is your real name George Santos?

OP
N

nipper219

Orange Belt
Reaction score
You have stated that you never trained before this and that you have trained your whole life. Those two statements are mutually incompatible. One of them is undeniably a lie, no matter how you squirm and backpedal.

Wait... is your real name George Santos?
I don't have to squirm or backpedal, I simply worded it strangely. Neither is a lie. My dad has trained me most of my life outside a classroom (still counts as training though) and it wasn't until a while ago that I joined an actual dojang. I said I had no prior martial arts experience because I had no classroom martial arts experience; but still some experience as far as being taught by my dad who is a black belt. So, neither is a lie. So squirming or backpedaling here.

Latest Discussions