Double Promotions

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hmm well I dont know if I am good or bad for having skipped ranks twice while doing TKD... White to Orange skipping yellow, Orange to blue skipping green... I always thought I was kinda cheating the system, but I guess maybe I can take the egocentric way out and just admit I wasnt too bad. Regardless, It still feels weird...

OP
bignick

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Indeed it does, although that's how it just goes sometimes. Last december I was promoted from a 5th kyu in jujutsu directly to a 1st kyu. This one didn't feel so bad however, since I'd been training for 3 years without a promotion.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm in a situation where I will possibly double-promote at the BB level, according to an organization. I tested for my WTF 1st dan in 1985. I switched schools & tested for 2nd dan in an ITF-style org in 1988. (No kids, those dates aren't typo's) I'm now back in the WTF where I accepted as a 2nd dan. When I test for 3rd, it will be a technical double promtion as far as the WTF is concerned. It will be odd in some respects, but not totally. Its been a long time in process.

OP
bignick

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
and deserved, I'm sure...avatar is still frickin' sweet by the way...

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, As far as Joe Lewis getting his Black Belt? He earn it! The Sensi saw how Joe was beating all his Black Belts. There requirments was not about time...but about your skills....Joe has practice other forms of fighting too.

People who get double promotions is because of there hard work and skills in the art they are taking.

No one should believe you should be promoted because you train a long time? Promotions are about skills. There are many fast learners, and people who loves the training and gives it a 150% or more to there training.....Off course they may get promote faster!

"Congratutions on you double promotion"....Your Teacher know you deserved it.

This happens in alot of schools/systems. Even in your working jobs job...work extra hard...expect promotions...............Aloha

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
bignick said:
and deserved, I'm sure...avatar is still frickin' sweet by the way...

Thanks, Nick. Elvis is the man! Chuck Norris has nothing on him:)

OP
bignick

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
IcemanSK said:
Thanks, Nick. Elvis is the man! Chuck Norris has nothing on him:)

That's what you think...Elvis said that once too...I think we all know how that turned out...Elvis died of complications and such from "drug abuse" and when I say drugs, I mean a Chuck Norris roundhouse kick and when I say abuse, I mean to the face...

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As the giver and recipient of double promotions in the past, I can say that I am not opposed to such practices, provided that:

1) The student has honestly demonstrated a remarkable, consistent ability throughout the time period between the previous test and the current one. This is a much better measure of worthiness, in my opinion.

2) The student has demonstrated a good, consistent work ethic throughout that same time period.

3) The instructor evaluates things in an unbiased manner.

There are other times where I'd say "go ahead":

Sometimes a student has learned everything needed for that next rank a good bit early, and is taught the following rank's requirements as well. If he can do both with high proficiency in addition to the above, then I see no reason to hold him back. I would actually have him test twice in the same day.

Sometimes a student comes in with a lot of previous experience, and started at a much lower rank. These types of students can, and often times do, pick up everything they need to know for their next rank well before the next testing period.

In a nutshell, double promotions (or possibly even more) aren't necessarily out of the ordinary. Keep in mind, that there are many styles of Karate that would use only white, green, brown, and black belts, and that the extra colored belts were thrown in there to help people advance in a more conservative manner. Still, there were many folks who did just fine with that system.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
bignick said:
That's what you think...Elvis said that once too...I think we all know how that turned out...Elvis died of complications and such from "drug abuse" and when I say drugs, I mean a Chuck Norris roundhouse kick and when I say abuse, I mean to the face...

While Chuck did bring the gift of "beard" to the baby Jesus, Elvis' oft forgotten gift of "Mutton-chop side burns" was quite special, too.:)

Life is short. Laugh a lot:partyon:

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
Grenadier said:
In a nutshell, double promotions (or possibly even more) aren't necessarily out of the ordinary. Keep in mind, that there are many styles of Karate that would use only white, green, brown, and black belts, and that the extra colored belts were thrown in there to help people advance in a more conservative manner. Still, there were many folks who did just fine with that system.

Exactly. I don't have a set schedule for testing and if a student sticks around long enough they likely will go straight to 5th Kyu. If I was teaching kids then the lower kyus are needed but in general theres no emphasis on testing or getting ready for a test. they need to be always ready and I'll know that.

I generally use 5th kyu and 3rd kyu (because of the lenth of time between gradings and they also don't know when I'm going to promote them either). From there they may go to 2nd kyu but I've had a few go from 3rd kyu to 1st kyu. (In the same breath) I promoted a 3rd kyu to Shodan after being a 3rd kyu for 3 years.

So it really matters on the school and how it is run and the attendace of the student and how they progress.

SAVAGE

Blue Belt
Reaction score
bignick said:
I was wondering what peoples feelings were on double promoting in martial arts...The reason I bring this up is that I was recently double promoted to 1st gup(1st kyu) in taekwondo, and it made me a little uncomfortable...to set some things straight my gym is not a belt factory and double promotions are extremely rare(i only know of one other person from my club to recieve one)....i felt it was quite a vote of confidence from the head instructor...but i feel that there should be time spent improving in rank...i took the double promotion so the incident in question is done with...but i would like to hear other peoples feelings on this subject...

Congrats...I myself got a three rank jump from Goju Ryu Karate...it did make me feel unconfortable...but I am the only person to have ever jumped!

My dojo isnt a belt factory either...I took it up with sensei and he just smiled...I took it as a vote of confidence that he had in my ability and it only made me work harder to live up to senseis expectations!

BTW I worked my *** off before that grading so that I would be prepared..I learnt more Kata than I had to..I sparred with 220% and just went balls to the walls! Like I am sure you did as well!

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
My first instructor rarely gave double promotions but both of my brothers received one. I never got one but 30 years later I outrank them! :)

In the last 10 yrs of teaching, I have double-promoted 1 student who had not tested during the normal testing cycle but continued to practice diligently.

Miles

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
if your instructor double promoted you and you trust your instructor's skill and intent, than accept the promotion.

congratulations, by the way! your instructor must think a lot of you and have great respect for your dedication and skill.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I experienced a similar thing. I was promoted from 5th kyu, a white belt in the style I study, to 1st kyu. Now before any naysayers start in, that was after four years of four classes a week. My instuctor never just got around to testing anybody for a long while. There were a few other white belts there, and none tested as high as i did, but they weren't there nearly as long as I was. Now, after about three more years, i'm testing for my shodan in a couple of months. I hope, but know it won't be, easier than my brown testing.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
I remember a school whose instructor's daughter was a second dgree brown belt on a monday, and was a 3rd Black by Friday! Apparently this rank would look better for teaching at the school. A lot of McDojos have done this, so, unfortunately, it's not uncommon.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Personally I think double gradings should be exceptions. If double and triple gradings are common you either have too many kyu or too infrequent grading camps.
Or someone likes money a bit too much. :flame:

Latest Discussions