Double Promoting

OP
N

nipper219

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Lots of people got the joke. The fact it flew over your head is not the joke's fault.

In which post were you lying? The one where you said you've never done them before, or where you say you've done them your whole life?

Even if your Dad is a black belt...that can mean a number of things. It can mean he went to a mcdojo for a year. Or it can mean he trained in an old-school dojo for over a decade. It can mean he's a 1st degree black belt who is basically a beginner, or it can mean he's a 7th degree grandmaster.

"Training your whole life" could mean you trained every day for 3 hours...or it can mean you practiced with him once every other month for about five minutes while he taught you one move, and then you got bored and played video games. Or a lot of things in-between.

Even if you are telling the truth in this post, and your Dad is a legitimate trainer, and you actually spent a reasonable amount of time training, you have not been a part of the culture of a dojang. To tell people who have been a part of that culture for a long time that you know the culture better than they do is just silly.
I wasn't lying in either post, like I stated and explained in another post. Well, in the number of things you mentioned, my dad trained hard for over a decade in an old DOJANG. Also, I trained hard everyday to learn the moves properly, unlike others I don't just get bored and play video games. I actually was involved in it. Also, I never actually said or directly stated that I think I know the culture better than they do. I know that I don't know the culture better than they do. I'm still young, I'm still learning about the culture. So, I wouldn't say that. And if I did say that, then I was clearly out of line when I said that.

OP
N

nipper219

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Lots of people got the joke. The fact it flew over your head is not the joke's fault.
I know that 😅 Honestly most jokes fly over my head; but that's just because I take everything seriously. I don't joke around much and I don't get most jokes when I hear them. So, I know it's not the joke's fault. 😂

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I wasn't lying in either post, like I stated and explained in another post. Well, in the number of things you mentioned, my dad trained hard for over a decade in an old DOJANG. Also, I trained hard everyday to learn the moves properly, unlike others I don't just get bored and play video games. I actually was involved in it. Also, I never actually said or directly stated that I think I know the culture better than they do. I know that I don't know the culture better than they do. I'm still young, I'm still learning about the culture. So, I wouldn't say that. And if I did say that, then I was clearly out of line when I said that.
There's a term in writing called "retroactive continuity" and this sounds a lot like that.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't have to squirm or backpedal, I simply worded it strangely. Neither is a lie. My dad has trained me most of my life outside a classroom (still counts as training though) and it wasn't until a while ago that I joined an actual dojang. I said I had no prior martial arts experience because I had no classroom martial arts experience; but still some experience as far as being taught by my dad who is a black belt. So, neither is a lie. So squirming or backpedaling here.
I’d say not a lie, just a confusing choice of wording - and it’s not the readers’ fault they thought you meant what you actually wrote.

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
My Grandmaster wants to double promote me from White belt to Green belt and I was wondering thoughts on that? I want to take things slowly instead of doubling my way through martial arts. Thoughts on this?
Hmm, have you been at white belt for a long time, enough to learn most of the yellow belt curriculum? This could be one reason. Another common reason is to build up a better nexus for the whole class. If you are a 'great student', the kind others enjoy working out with, there is a 'business sense value' in getting you to a higher belt. This assumes you have a good handle on the curriculum.
Sometimes it is just better not to look a gift horse in the mouth. I fully get the 'don't want to be in a hurry' and it is definitely something you want to monitor and keep a handle on.
Green belt is one of the most fun levels in the color belt spectrum. Enjoy the ride and work hard.

J. Pickard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
My Grandmaster wants to double promote me from White belt to Green belt and I was wondering thoughts on that? I want to take things slowly instead of doubling my way through martial arts. Thoughts on this?
I have done this on one occasion. We had a student who had been doing kickboxing for years when they joined our program. The guy caught on super quick and made it through beginner ranks fast and skipped from white to green (skipped yellow). If promotion is being done based on ability and knowledge I see nothing wrong with this because eventually your growth will slow a bit and you will have more time between rank anyway. Some naturally athletic people catch on really quickly as well so if you are naturally athletic you may have just caught on quicker than others and your grandmaster noticed.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have done this on one occasion. We had a student who had been doing kickboxing for years when they joined our program. The guy caught on super quick and made it through beginner ranks fast and skipped from white to green (skipped yellow). If promotion is being done based on ability and knowledge I see nothing wrong with this because eventually your growth will slow a bit and you will have more time between rank anyway. Some naturally athletic people catch on really quickly as well so if you are naturally athletic you may have just caught on quicker than others and your grandmaster noticed.

I *kind of* had this done for me. I had done Taekwondo for 4 years as a kid. I started over at white belt as an adult. Most folks were going 2 days a week. I was going 3 to regular class, and I was the first adult in the sparring class. I also practiced multiple hours per day at home. I tested for yellow belt 3 weeks in, normally you need a minimum of 2 months.

My Master wanted me to start teaching as an intern at blue belt, 1 year in as an adult. I think it was a combination of how I worked with beginners, my previous experience, how much I practiced, and a general lack of availability from everyone higher rank than me. I would show up 10-15 minutes before my class, and often come in and help some of the beginners while the Master and other instructors were helping others. My school had such a robust curriculum that we were allowed to "brain dump" between tests (something I think is done around 25% of the schools based on polls I've done), and I was the only one who bothered to retain everything.

When I started teaching, I was getting 20+ mat hours per week, either as a student or an instructor. Most as an instructor. I never skipped any ranks. But I was allowed to do private tests whenever I felt I was ready, instead of on our regular testing schedule. I did blue belt in 4 months (normally 6) and red belt in 8 months (normally 12-14). I got my black belt in 23 months at this school, normally it would take minimum of 30-35, depending on how lucky you were with which month you started.

Latest Discussions