Dont know what to do

phobia08

White Belt
Reaction score
First of all Hello to everyone.

Ok where to start..... well Martial Arts is something I have always wanted to do and I have given Kung Fu and had a go at Bushido in the past (that was a few years ago)

I am 31 now and have 2 children a boy age 6 and a girl at 4.. so last week my son came to me and asked if he could learn Karate and since he dosnt know the difference between the arts we went to have a look at Takwondo and found this to be very interesting and as he dosnt want to do it alone we found the club did mixed age sessions so we could be there together.

Tonight we went to see about starting and found we need insurence first and funding is a little tight so we are going to have to hang on a week or two.

The other thing was that in the room i felt so out of place and as everyone was younger than me and seemed to be looking at me like i was some sort of freak maybe its just me but is it normal to feel like that and if so should i find a place for me and hope my son will go it alone ?

1 other thing im in the uk and what do you guys think is a reasonable fee to pay for training each month?

Sorry for the long post im just a little confused as i dont want to let my son down and throw away money for nothing.

Thanks in advance

Ian

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome aboard Ian. Your Son is young enough where your being there, may be a good support for him. There will be a point in time, where you may want to give him some space, but enjoy it while you can.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Phobia, I commend you on wanting to share this experience with your son. It shows you care about him and want only the very best for him.

That said, the awkwardness from you participating in a class full of children is the nature of the beast. An experienced instructor can help minimize the embarrassment by using the adults in the class appropriately as a kicking target holder or by segregating the children at regular intervals (kids to the left and start going through the obstacle course! Adults, you're with me for forms practice...). I would talk to your instructor about this and see if he can't modify his approach to still be fun and family-oriented but to still give you a bit of a charge and make you feel like you're stretching yourself too.

C

CA-Steel

Hello Phobia,

I too am new to this forum but not to the martial arts.

I am 40+ let’s say and my kids are 2, 9, and 10. My 9 and 10 year old started when they were each 4. I did not start at the time that they started but I did attend each and every class as a spectator. Just by watching I picked up a lot and even learned their forms (patterns) and helped them with it as it was easy for me to see it and then do it with them at home. I may not have been doing the move correctly but I could help them with things like "turn to the left and block down...and so on.)

By the time my kids were blue belts (4th kup) I joined. I did not feel out of place as I already had gotten to know most of the people and they seemed happy to see me out on the mat with them. I also was not in the same classes as my kids but could have been if I wanted to. I started in what is called in our Dojang (Adults only class).

You may want to consider a similar approach but I can tell you this. No one is looking at you funny or strangely. We get many new students all the time and they all feel this way but the people out there training are glad to see new members. You will create new bonds and understand and be in something only known by those that do the martial arts.

So with all that said you and your son just need to get out there and have some fun.

Oh by the way I will be testing for my 2nd Dan this May. I have been doing this now for 4+ years.

My 10 year old is a 2nd Poom (kids cannot have the rank of Dan). My 9 year old will be getting his 2nd Poom in May with me.

Here is my 9 year old at last years Jr. Olympics held in Detroit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEH3XHHeQhY

Happy Kicking.

Taekwon!

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
GO FOR IT!!!

I was 34 when I started, my friend 62. You will see were age limits you a bit compared to the younger crowd, but you make up for it in experience, both real life and MA.

We have a few parents who took up TKD with their kids (mostly teens tho, the kids are in a different class) or started up after the kids did.

it's a blast and even more fun when you can share it with your kid!

just remember you are not in competition when you work out, only with yourself to do it better than the class before!

Aefibird

Green Belt
Reaction score
Great advice given already, I'd say to give it a go and see what you think.

I'd also suggest that you have a look around for other martial arts schools in your area - there's hundreds to choose from in Notts, so there's no need to stick with one that you feel uncomfortable training in. If you have a look around then you will probably find some classes have more adults or a better mix of adults/children that may suit you & your son more.

Also, some schools may offer you a lesson or two free of charge or at a reduced rate (something always handy if money is tight). I've found as well that because I need to make my £££ stretch as far as it with go, I'm better off at a club where I can pay for each training session as I go along, rather than joining one with a set monthly fee.

As for monthly fees, it really does depend on the school and how much training time you get out of it. Club A may charge £25 a month but only let you train upto twice a week, whereas Club B may charge £35 but allow you to take as many classes as you want in a week.

Also, you need to find out if any monthly fee includes or doesn't include membership (some clubs have separate membership, insurance & monthly charges), insurance, gradings, etc. It's all very well signing up for Joe's TKD Club at £20 a month if you then discover that Joe is then going to charge you extra for a special uniform, for grading, for pre-grading examination and for any other sort of costs and hidden charges that may not be apparant.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One of my best students started when he was 39 and his daughter was 10 - he's now 44 and she's 15, and they tested for their black belts together last October. They chose my class because it allowed them to be in the same class together, which is what they were looking for. When they started, he was the oldest student by 15 years or more. I would say don't let it bother you; instead, go for it - and enjoy!

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you don't start training now... when will you?

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is never to late to start training. Yo may feel awkward at first and maybe a little out of place but that happens to many of us. With a little time in class yo will fall into place and feel that you have always belonged there.
If the price is to high in that school look at other arts/schools in your area. You never know what is out there until you look.

OP
phobia08

phobia08

White Belt
Reaction score
Never before have I had such a fast and supportive response on any forum, Thank you all for the great advice and comments

The main issue with me is a lack of confidence and not wanting to let my boy down but the comments you guys have posted have helped me lots :)

So on to the question of the licence/insurence i was told this is to me to be licenced with the ITF I think or was it WTf i cant remember but am i tied to the 1 club with this or can i take it with me to another place it it dosnt work out in the first?

The reason i ask is i dont want to pay for a licence for both of us just to find we dont like it there

Thanks again

Ian

Last edited:

Claire

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi, Are you sure you need a licence right now while you are still getting a feel of the club and making your mind up? At my club you don't need a licence until you are ready for your first grading. I don't think you can transfer the licence between clubs but I'm unsure. Mines costs £25 per year but I pay for it over the year. (Club training fees are £27 per month but I pay £29 which includes the licence) If I were to pay per class the training fees would be £4.50 for an adult and £3 per child.

As for your age, I started when I was 30. I was at home with 2 very young children and really needed something for myself. It was daunting going along to TKD for the first time as I'd done nothing like it before but I love it! Two years on I'm a blue belt and plan to take my two daughters along when they're old enough. Adults and kids train together at my training and we just match up like for like when paired up.

Claire

OP
phobia08

phobia08

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi Claire and thank you for the post

The instructor said that its for insurance and license and so on as we cant train with out insurance im not sure as to why maybe its because its done in a school hall or something ?

im very confused about the license thing.

Cheers

Ian

Claire

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi Ian,
Normally if you hire a school hall the hirer must fill out a "letting form" for the council and their insurance for you being in their hall and that's the same if the hire is for Taekwondo or a kids party.

A Taekwondo licence and insurance however are to give you a licence to practice the art of Taekwondo. You can't spar or grade without a licence but normally you can train for the first while without a licence. This is certainly how it works at my club but you may find with much of Taekwondo that there are differences between clubs/organisations.

I do think it is very unfair though to ask for money for a licence to be paid upfront and think this would put a lot of people off.

Claire

OP
phobia08

phobia08

White Belt
Reaction score
A Taekwondo licence and insurance however are to give you a licence to practice the art of Taekwondo. You can't spar or grade without a licence but normally you can train for the first while without a licence. This is certainly how it works at my club but you may find with much of Taekwondo that there are differences between clubs/organisations.

So would the Taekwondo license cover you for pad work because they do some kick pad stuff early on and sparing takes place too but does pad work come under the category of sparing ?

Also what is it covering you for injury to yourself others or both ?

Thanks again you are helping me heaps here

Last edited:

Claire

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
No pad work isn't classsed under sparring. Sparring is fighting, actual contact (often light contact) to the body of your partner. There are lots of things our beginners do before they need a licence. For example; warm up, stretching, learning stances, blocks and punches, practising kicking techniques, pad work, learning the white belt equivalent poomse/pattern, one to one kicking etc.

As for what the licence covers you for I really don't know so perhaps someone else can answer that and help us both out. Here is what my Taekwondo licence says; "The holder of this licence is indemnified against accident and third party liability risks until the expiry date whilst practising Taekwondo in an organisation in membership of the British Taekwondo council"

I remember our Grandmaster once saying about the importance of a good mouth shield coming up to a competition because "we don't insure your teeth". Other than that I'm afraid I can't help but I'd be interested to know.

Latest Discussions