Doesn't it annoy you when people say 'I missed' when you dodged?

MattofSilat

Orange Belt
Reaction score
One of my friends, using the term lightly to be fair, has slight anger issues. That's an understatement. Basically, me and my friend were in an argument with him about 'Whether a laptop is a computer or not'. Yeah, guess what side he was on. So, I'll explain the escalation.

The argument was kind-of over. Then me and my friend started disussing it further at our seats. He then says agressively "Don't talk behind my back!". In rather comedical fashion, my friend then goes up behind his back as he sits and says bluntly "You're wrong.". Then he starts elbowing my friend backwards then starts punching him. (My friend, as we got changed for P.E, had no bruises, not even from the elbow. Come on, I've never seen somebody get hit with a full on elbow and not get a bruise. Says alot about that rage guy.)

I stepped in, and he tried to punch me. He goes for my face as opposed to my friends arm. I lean back, dodging the punch, then parry it to one side. I don't suppose it can be called a parry since I already dodged it, but it caused him to be knocked off balance. I'm not so much of an ******* as to hit him back in front of everyone, even if it's exactly what's needed. After I've walked back to my seat, he says "You're lucky I missed". That pissed me off more than the main event, because it just says so much about the guy in question. Who the hell goes to punch somebody in the face after a petty argument.

One more thing. The rage guy in questions keeps on trying to prove his superiority to me, because we're both short. He is 10x more confident than me, so although he's more popular than me with some naive people, he's often a bit of a ****. I mean, who makes a comeback to a petty joke made by a girl (And trust me, it was so petty that there's no way he could have been offended.) with "Shut up Robin you fat ugly whore.", and he wasn't angry at the time. He still tries to prove his superiority over me. Me and him both used to sit on our asses inside all day, every day, but not together. Over the past two months, I have been to the Gym 3 times a week at least, gone running atleast 3 times a week and, more recently, taken up JJJ. Yet he still plays video games all day, and still thinks he should be stronger, better at fighting, etc, etc than me. It really pisses me off. I'm not trying to toot my own horn, but I'm doing everything I can to get stronger, whereas he just sits on his *** and proclaims his power over me.

What do you think in response to my question in the title, and what is your response to my statement in the above paragraph?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So he can't hit with a punch and you are not using that to demean him every chance you get.

You even smack talk bro?

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
just put him on his butt in front of everyone and never take any ^&^& from anyone - you do it once then that's it for life he won't bother with you and his petty tirades will stop --- believe me.

just have the bottle to crack him once and once only just make sure it's damn good ;)

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ignore him. It sounds as of your still in school any attempt to fight it hit him.back will probably lead to your suspension and isn't worth it. 20 years from now when he's working for you you can have the last laugh

OP
M

MattofSilat

Orange Belt
Reaction score
So he can't hit with a punch and you are not using that to demean him every chance you get.

You even smack talk bro?

Sadly, unless you're prepared to make him look stupid infront of everyone, you can't really do anything. If I smack talk at all, he gets more mad, and then comes to hit me again. It's hard to dodge a barrage of punches without running away (Definitely not) or being able to retaliate at all. Especially considering I've been doing Martial Arts for a grand total of 2 hours...

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'd listen to Ballen above,and take a big step back. What you are talking about is going to end up in tears.
:asian:

OP
M

MattofSilat

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I wasn't talking about me beating him, I specifically said that I wasn't going to. I was just seeing what you guys thought of my situation with him.

@Brain R. VanCise . I don't really hang out with him, he hangs out with me. I don't want to be a dick with him, so while I try to sit by other friends, I am kind of forced sometimes. He's not THAT bad all the time, but he's just not worth the trouble overall.

Thank you for the advice.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sadly, unless you're prepared to make him look stupid infront of everyone, you can't really do anything. If I smack talk at all, he gets more mad, and then comes to hit me again. It's hard to dodge a barrage of punches without running away (Definitely not) or being able to retaliate at all. Especially considering I've been doing Martial Arts for a grand total of 2 hours...

So exactly why can he be punching you and you can't retaliate?

colemcm

Orange Belt
Reaction score
If it soothes his fragile little ego and ends the fight, why bother with it?

If he honestly thinks it was something he did that caused him not to hit you and it leads him to underestimate your ability, then good. That's your edge if he decides to push things with you in the future.

Don't be overly concerned with what other people think of you. In the long run, they don't really matter all that much. You know the difference and that's all that matters.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One of my friends, using the term lightly to be fair, has slight anger issues. That's an understatement. Basically, me and my friend were in an argument with him about 'Whether a laptop is a computer or not'. Yeah, guess what side he was on. So, I'll explain the escalation.

The argument was kind-of over. Then me and my friend started disussing it further at our seats. He then says agressively "Don't talk behind my back!". In rather comedical fashion, my friend then goes up behind his back as he sits and says bluntly "You're wrong.". Then he starts elbowing my friend backwards then starts punching him. (My friend, as we got changed for P.E, had no bruises, not even from the elbow. Come on, I've never seen somebody get hit with a full on elbow and not get a bruise. Says alot about that rage guy.)

I stepped in, and he tried to punch me. He goes for my face as opposed to my friends arm. I lean back, dodging the punch, then parry it to one side. I don't suppose it can be called a parry since I already dodged it, but it caused him to be knocked off balance. I'm not so much of an ******* as to hit him back in front of everyone, even if it's exactly what's needed. After I've walked back to my seat, he says "You're lucky I missed". That pissed me off more than the main event, because it just says so much about the guy in question. Who the hell goes to punch somebody in the face after a petty argument.

One more thing. The rage guy in questions keeps on trying to prove his superiority to me, because we're both short. He is 10x more confident than me, so although he's more popular than me with some naive people, he's often a bit of a ****. I mean, who makes a comeback to a petty joke made by a girl (And trust me, it was so petty that there's no way he could have been offended.) with "Shut up Robin you fat ugly whore.", and he wasn't angry at the time. He still tries to prove his superiority over me. Me and him both used to sit on our asses inside all day, every day, but not together. Over the past two months, I have been to the Gym 3 times a week at least, gone running atleast 3 times a week and, more recently, taken up JJJ. Yet he still plays video games all day, and still thinks he should be stronger, better at fighting, etc, etc than me. It really pisses me off. I'm not trying to toot my own horn, but I'm doing everything I can to get stronger, whereas he just sits on his *** and proclaims his power over me.

What do you think in response to my question in the title, and what is your response to my statement in the above paragraph?

I don't miss high school, or the Army for that matter. Thank you for snuffing any nostalgia I may have had. :)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
But seriously, if you think you are good enough, and you will find out if you are not, challenge him to a slap boxing match and win the sucker. I am usually the one that gets challenged, now that I think of it, but once you win, they lose interest in the endeavor. :)

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wasn't talking about me beating him, I specifically said that I wasn't going to. I was just seeing what you guys thought of my situation with him.

@Brain R. VanCise . I don't really hang out with him, he hangs out with me. I don't want to be a dick with him, so while I try to sit by other friends, I am kind of forced sometimes. He's not THAT bad all the time, but he's just not worth the trouble overall.

Thank you for the advice.

Don't let losers hang out with you.

"Show me who you walk with, and I'll tell you who you are."

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don't let losers hang out with you.

"Show me who you walk with, and I'll tell you who you are."
I was just talking with my girlfriend about this thread, is that until he is out of high school he will have to see these people every day, no matter what the outcome. I'm not sure your advice is going to help much in that environment. :)

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
A - your friend seems like a real douchebag.
B - Why do you care what he says? Let him salve his fragile ego however he needs to. It's not hurting you any.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Don`t hang out with idiots.
Don`t care too much about what idiots say.
Don`t be an idiot yourself and don`t get an inflated ego because you barely started training.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Doesn't it annoy you when people say 'I missed' when you dodged?

Nope.

1) If he's occupied with trash-talking instead of hitting, then it means the fight is over with no one getting hurt. That's a good outcome.
2) It's not even effective trash-talking. It makes him sound stupid and ineffective. If he wants to make himself look bad, then let him.

...what is your response to my statement in the above paragraph?

1) Get better "friends" and don't hang out with rage-filled jerks.
2) You say elsewhere "I don't hang out with him, he hangs out with me." - If you're hanging out together, that's a mutual decision. Take responsibility for your decisions.
3) Don't concern yourself with the blathering of someone you don't like or respect. If he's that intent on proclaiming his superiority, it most likely reflects his own insecurities. His problem, not yours.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Just ignore and avoid this guy. Cut him out of your life. You know what he's like, so don't even get into arguments with him. If he says something stupid or insulting, just be like, "whatever, man" and walk away. You know if you engage him, it's going to escalate into violence, so just don't go there.

There's a (somewhat corny) martial arts saying: "There are three kinds of martial artist. A bad martial artist gets into a fight and loses. An average martial artist gets into a fight and wins. A good martial artist doesn't get into a fight." You want to be that third kind.

OP
M

MattofSilat

Orange Belt
Reaction score
On a similar note.

One of the tougher guys in my year, one of my good friends, and I were doing Tennis today for P.E. He is bitching about him disliking all sports but Rugby, which he is actually very good at. So I say: "What about Judo? Surely you'd like Judo!".

He responds with "Oh, That? That's just throwing and rolling, I already know how to do that. It's useless".

I didn't even bother.