Does your art have a red/purple belt?

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
At my dojang, our Sabumnim uses both purple and red belts. Purple is worn by those at the 8th gup rank, and red is worn by those at 1st gup rank. Above red belt we also have a red stripe belt (a red belt with a white horizontal stripe in the middle) that signifies the wearer is a 1st black dan bo, otherwise known as a high red belt. I've noticed that almost every dojang uses their own unique color belt system. Among the TKD schools I have visited there is quite a bit of variance...

dmdfromhamilton

Orange Belt
Reaction score
school which i'm leaving has purple between orange and green and 2 reds between brown and black

most schools in the association that we just left and this will be the system that will be at the new school i'm going to has no purple but 3 res before black

3rd gup red
2nd gup red with black stripe
1st gup half red half black

a third of the belts in the system under black are red lol

O

OrangeLeopard

our system has a purple belt, it is the third belt you test for after orange. We also have a red belt but its only used for people who are in our Master's instructor college, so only assistant instructors or instructors who are not yet black belts wear them.

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
I study Tracy's kenpo, we have a purple belt, and no red. Purple is your second earned belt - it goes white, orange, purple, blue, green, brown (x3) and black (x10). Most Kenpo - most Tracy kenpo for that fact, has yellow as the first earned belt, not orange.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
THe flavor of Shaoln Kempo I study has

white
yellow
orange
purple
blue <- I am here, testing in June.
green
brown
brown
brown
black

You might see a red stripe on any of these belts, but that only indicates the wearer is PREGNANT!

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
really? pregnant?

how did that tradition come to be?

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
Gin, I've never even heard of your art. *goes to look it up*

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Samantha said:
really? pregnant?

how did that tradition come to be?
I really don't know. Maybe something from our founder's early USSD experience?

So far I've only seen it worn twice, but by the same woman :) She tends to hit a lot harder while pregnant, so it's a good warning in a lot of ways.

Without it I think she might be reluctant to train... all of us males get real protective and careful. To the point where she has to say "you know it is OK for you to actually hit my arm" for example...

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
DavidCC said:
I really don't know. Maybe something from our founder's early USSD experience?

So far I've only seen it worn twice, but by the same woman :) She tends to hit a lot harder while pregnant, so it's a good warning in a lot of ways.

Without it I think she might be reluctant to train... all of us males get real protective and careful. To the point where she has to say "you know it is OK for you to actually hit my arm" for example...
haha, cute.
At our studio, everyone knows if someone's pregnant... the woman will be like 3 weeks pregnant and she'll tell her instructor who'll tell the other 11 instructors who will tell their students..... everyone knows within a week, lol.

Raewyn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We have red belt which is just before black. It goes, Red belt, then red belt black tip, then black belt.

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I study Shaolin Kempo Karate and we do have a Purple belt which is between Orange and Blue. I'm with ussd and in ussd none black belt instructors wear red belts.

mijemi

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
We have red and purple but strangely, it goes white then red. I'm only a beginner and have a red belt. It's quite embarrassing when someone new comes to class and assumes that red is a high ranking belt and then sees me in action. They soon realise things are a little different here!

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Our wado school uses both. Red is 9th kyu, between white and yellow, and purple is 4th kyu, between blue and brown.

In Ju Jutsu I think a 9th or 10th dan may wear a red belt. Red belts (and blue) are also worn during competition to tell the participants apart.

Other uses I have seen for red belts are probationary black belt and children`s black belt.

Keikai

Rest In Peace
Reaction score
Yes to both in Tsutsumi Hozan Ryu ju jutsu.

Red at 7th kyu and 9th & 10th Dan. We also use black with a white stripe instead of brown for 1st kyu.

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
White
Yellow
Orange
Purple
Blue
Green
Brown
Black
2nd Black - 10th Black
Senior Grand Master's belt rank is Red w/ black bars.

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
In SKK it goes
White
Yellow
Orange
Purple
Blue
Blue/green stripe
Green
Green/brown stripe
Brown 3rd
Brown 2nd
Brown 1st
1st dan-black

JasonASmith

Black Belt
Reaction score
Nope..
Plain White-White with 1,2, and 3 Green Stripes
Plain Green-Green with 1, and 2 Brown Stripes
Plain Brown-Brown with 1 Black Stripe
Plain Black...
After that, I think that you get lettering on the Black belt until you
reach Renshi level(which there's only 3 of in the dojo)

Latest Discussions