Does your art have a red/purple belt?

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
Though not all martial arts use the color rank system, most do, with black and white being the two colors that appear in almost all styles. True, most also have yellow, blue and so on, but I'm curious about the colors that are least common: red and purple.

So intro aside, does your art have a purple belt? And is red prior to black, or a very high dan?

~ Loki

K

Kempogeek

Yes at our school of Kosho Ryu Kempo we have purple. It's after the orange belt which Im at now. I have a friend in England who's in TKD and she's a red belt now. She will be testing for the red w/black stripe in May. After that possibly after a year then it's black. Im not sure if that's the same ranking system in every TKD club there or just in hers. Best regards, Steve

Digger70chall

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
we have both red and purple...although i doubt that you can find a color in a catalog we don't use, way too many belts to work thru...guess it gives somebody short term goals, i am always looking forward to the next belt.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Purple but not red. Always wanted a red one to add to the collection. Seems to be the only colored belt missing.

M

MartialMom

Our adult kyu's have Purple between Orange and Blue, three kyu from brown 3.

The kids kyu's have added Red between Green and Brown 3, they have also added striped colored belts between solid belt colors, short term goals and such.

Happiness
Sheri

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Red is considered high before black. We have red, black striped in the middle red which is called high red, then Recommended Black Belt, one who has passed the first black belt test but is provisional. That belt is half black and half red. TW

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We have a purple rank, a red rank and half-black rank. Purple is after green and before blue, red is after brown and before half-black, half-black is before black.

SenseiBear

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In our school (and not all schools in our style use the same belt ranking system below black belt) we have a purple, after green and before brown. (no blue or orange) In our style the Red belt is for the Grandmaster(s) only.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
Red is considered high before black. We have red, black striped in the middle red which is called high red, then Recommended Black Belt, one who has passed the first black belt test but is provisional. That belt is half black and half red. TW

Red belt is generally used instead of brown belt in Korean systems. Purple belt is not used very often in Taekwondo.

The half-red, half-black belt is called a Poom belt. This is generally for kids under age 15 who have passed the physical test for black belts. They don't get a black belt til they are 15 under Kukkiwon rules. I have seen many schools use it as a provisional belt as TW states.

Miles

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In Tae Kwon Do, we use red belt for the rank just below black. We do not use stripes or anything like that. Red until black, per Kukkiwon regulations. In Aikido Yoshokai, we use purple for several kyu ranks after green belt.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We have both. Like MichiganTKD said, red is just before black (actually we have red and high red .... same belt just an added black stripe).

We have purple between green and blue. We also have a prov. BB. It's a solid BB with nothing on it. The real BB's have writing on their belts.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hmmm, I'm studying three belted arts. My JKD instructor uses belts within the school and he has both colors, with red fairly high prior to black. (That's what rank I have now, in fact--red belt.) In BJJ of course there is a purple belt. My arnis instructor uses purple but not red per se, though there's some red in the traditional black belts (at all levels) in Modern Arnis.

R

rainbows

In ITF TKD, red is just before black (right now I've a red belt with a black stripe, good ol'electrical tape) and there's no purple belt.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My instructor put in a purple belt between green and brown many years ago

Aqua4ever

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In our club (tkd) no purple, but Red and then Red with a black stripe (comes before black)

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In BJJ, yes, there is a purple belt. it is Blue,purple,brown, black. There is also a red belt, for those who reach 10th degree black belt (doesnt happen very often).
In Aiki, no. only white, white with Hakama, and black with Hakama.
BBT, no. white green, black.

Hollywood1340

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yup :) (Well in CHKD anyway)
Yellow, Orange, Green, Purple, Blue Brown, Red, Red/Black, Black/White, Black

TKD
Yellow, Green, Blue, Red, Black With Half belts (yellow/green etc.)

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
In Kajukenbo and American Kenpo there are Purple Belts. There is no Red Belt. I guess our Brown Belts take the Red Belt's place in those systems.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In one style i had learned had both.

In another, purple, but no red.

And yet another, red, but no purple.

Current one-neither-no colors.

Latest Discussions