Does this actaully work for Self Defense

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In contrast Kajukenbo was designed as a self defense system to be used against street attacks. In the time of it's creation and for the most part today, most street criminals did not have any formal martial arts training. The ones that were skilled were either the guys from the poor neighborhoods who boxed as kids and teens, or guys who were just plain mean and vicious.
Besides being martial artists, the Kajukenbo founders (at least 4 of the 5) were also boxers, who knew that the majority of real fights weren't going to be won with one punch.
They also knew they were not going to have a street fighter attack them with a step in lunge punch to the solar plexus. When you get in a fight, someone's going to try to punch you in the face, break your nose, break your jaw, knock you out.
With this in mind they designed the Kajukenbo punching defenses (Punch Counters) and break holds (Grab Arts) to be done against a variety of punching attacks that are targeted to the face. Punch Counters are done against a right cross, left jab/right cross combination, right cross/left hook combination, etc, etc.
Many of the Grab Arts are done against someone who grabs your shirt and hook punches, grabs your shoulder from behind and turns you for a right cross to the face, etc, etc.
Somewhere down the line from Gascon, Pesare, Cerio, and Villari, things changed. Sometimes change is good, and sometimes it's good to re-examine what was changed.
Not all kenpo schools teach the art against static attacks either.
Sean

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not all kenpo schools teach the art against static attacks either.
Sean

That's good to hear. Sometimes when people are in a franchise situation there's a lot of pressure to stick to the "gamebook", without diviation. I know a lot of kempo/kenpo people who have broken away from the pack have been getting into more live and realistic type training.

shaolin ninja 4

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hopfully this will anser your ???

Who did you train under steve?

I trained under master James Wright. He was a really nice person and finally went on his own and opened up some schools out of state.

What didn't you like about shaolin kempo/what did you like?
At that time I loved it all. Forms I would say where the best for me to do. I went in on days off and let the upper ranks use me as a uke.

Why did you leave villaris/ussd?
It was a villaris school. It finally closed. this was in the early 80's when it opened . before Mr. Villari upset his upper teachers. all where still with him.
I worked on my own after it closed. and then some time went by and a person named jean arseanualt came to town and he opened a local dojo a few towns away from me and it was shaolin kempo, but with a twist. he also tought BJJ. so I started training with him for some years until I tracked down Shihan Tom Ingargiola out of NY and Master John Evans out of NH. and I would do video training with Shihan I and physical training with master Evans. master Evans took me to a seminar with Hanshi Juchnik and thats when I started to add Kosho to my shaolin kempo. and I still take and teach BJJ. I like the mix of the 3 systems.
I also have gone to seminares with prof kimo. and a large list of others.

What was fred villari like? What were his master instructors like? In and out of the dojo?
I trained only a few times with Some of the other master all seemed nice. There was a couple Names I will not go into that where a** ****
but I think you would get that from any system or what not.
If the school never closed I would still be in it proberly working for fred v some where. But i liked how it all played out for me.
I now am working on my 4th degree in SKK under Tom I and Master Evans.
and My Kosho info Comes under master Evans and Hanshi Juchnik. when he is out on the east coast. witch is a lot. I also travel to seminars all over the U.S.A. in Kosho. I have Pat kelly flying in from Calf: in march he will be doing a 10 hr work shop seminar on kosho. he has been with hanshi
juchnik for about 30 years.

Hope this ans. some of what you where looking for.
best to you steve

Cool thanks a lot!
Did you ever meet GM Fred Villari?

I came from ussd so the few people from ussd that did know the real history about Villaris/Ussd said bad things about him but I don't believe everything they told me cause none of them were there.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Does this actually work for self defense?

Would this type of training allow me to confidently, defend against an intimidating, larger, criminal that wants to hurt me when I am paralized with fear?

Here is a video of the advanced class training to protect against against aggressive violence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMZCDn9lnTI&mode=related&search=

It's interesting how that second video looks exactly like one of the basic Shotokan kata, but with different hand techniques instead of punches.

Last edited by a moderator:

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Does this actually work for self defense?

Would this type of training allow me to confidently, defend against an intimidating, larger, criminal that wants to hurt me when I am paralized with fear?

Here is a video of the advanced class training to protect against against aggressive violence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMZCDn9lnTI&mode=related&search=

You know if that is what they do for the bulk of their training, then I'd suggest another school. But doing forms in moderation is a good training tool, that is used by most martial art systems.
Looking at the second video it appears that someone has taken the common Japanese Heien 1 or the Okinawan Pinan 2, and just changed the punches to tiger claw strikes. I hope this wasn't a feeble attempt to say they have "kung fu" in their system.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
You know if that is what they do for the bulk of their training, then I'd suggest another school. But doing forms in moderation is a good training tool, that is used by most martial art systems.
Looking at the second video it appears that someone has taken the common Japanese Heien 1 or the Okinawan Pinan 2, and just changed the punches to tiger claw strikes. I hope this wasn't a feeble attempt to say they have "kung fu" in their system.

Sigh. It probably was.

Latest Discussions