Does the Bible teach life begins at birth?

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well, thanks for your input, always good to read different interpretations.

The thing is, It's text written in my language, by and for my people. More likely than not, Jewish interpretation of those text is correct.

All too often, Xtian interpretation is politically driven and out of context.

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hebrew, Aramaic and koine Greek eh? Well, I can read it in the English...you've got me linguistically out gunned to be sure. Its too bad you can't seem to counter any of my points at all in English. Have a good night.

Joab, reading a text in it's original language gives you insights that reading a translation cannot.

I regularly study Torah using an English text because it appeals to a greater audience. We do have to refer to the Hebrew text to ascertain meaning. Most often it's because similar Hebrew words can translate to a single word in English, but convey a slightly different meaning.

OP
J

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The thing is, It's text written in my language, by and for my people. More likely than not, Jewish interpretation of those text is correct.

All too often, Xtian interpretation is politically driven and out of context.
So, are you contending that all Jews interpret the text the same way you do? "Xtian" is a rather offensive term, we are not followers of "x" Thanks for your input, shalom.

OP
J

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Joab, reading a text in it's original language gives you insights that reading a translation cannot.

I regularly study Torah using an English text because it appeals to a greater audience. We do have to refer to the Hebrew text to ascertain meaning. Most often it's because similar Hebrew words can translate to a single word in English, but convey a slightly different meaning.

Did you really think I didn't know that? I was merely acknowledging elder999 was farther advanced than I am regarding original languages. I'm getting a bit tired of your condescending attitude. Do you think that nobody who knows the original languages agrees with my interpretation?

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So, are you contending that all Jews interpret the text the same way you do? "Xtian" is a rather offensive term, we are not followers of "x" Thanks for your input, shalom.

None interpret it the way you do because you read it completely out of context.

You may want to reseach why I spell it that way.

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Did you really think I didn't know that? I was merely acknowledging elder999 was farther advanced than I am regarding original languages. I'm getting a bit tired of your condescending attitude. Do you think that nobody who knows the original languages agrees with my interpretation?

No Jews will agree with your interpretation. Xtians do, but they are merely following their agenda.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You might want to wait a bit before explaining that there are more than 10 mitzvahs....er...I mean...commandments. ;)

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Steady gentlemen. The discussion is always better served if the contributors can steer away from roughly addressing each other. When posters know each other well, it is sometimes not so bad to have a small personal 'dig' here and there, if done with a sense of humour.

But generally it is recommended that people refrain from directly criticising an individual if at all possible. It helps keep the number of RTM's down and means that the staff can get on with enjoying the forum rather than debating 'administrative' matters.

OP
J

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
None interpret it the way you do because you read it completely out of context.

Joab: So, no Jew interprets it "my way" because I take it out of context. So you are asserting you know every last Jew's interpretation of these verses, you must be close to G-d to know that...

You may want to reseach why I spell it that way.

I don't want to research it, I want you to stop typing it, it is offensive.

OP
J

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Steady gentlemen. The discussion is always better served if the contributors can steer away from roughly addressing each other. When posters know each other well, it is sometimes not so bad to have a small personal 'dig' here and there, if done with a sense of humour.

But generally it is recommended that people refrain from directly criticising an individual if at all possible. It helps keep the number of RTM's down and means that the staff can get on with enjoying the forum rather than debating 'administrative' matters.

Thanks, I was getting tired of Canuck's patronizing attitude. I freely admit that I don't know the original languages, their are those who do that agree with "my interpretation". I have enlisted the help of a former professor who taught the Koine Greek and has a Phd, presumably some Hebrew as well, he has not arrived yet, waiting for the calvary to arrive...you can agree to disagree agreeably without resorting to patronizing words. And the use of the term "xtian" is offensive to me, please quit writing it.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
I don't want to research it, I want you to stop typing it, it is offensive.

Yeah, I think South Park is offensive, but damned if they don't keep showing it on television....

What he's telling you is that it's not offensive, if you understood its origins.

Greeks used X as the symbol for Chi, Christo or Xristo. X is the Greek symbol for Christ. In early Christian times, X was used as the symbol for Christ himself.

OP
J

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, I think South Park is offensive, but damned if they don't keep showing it on television....

What he's telling you is that it's not offensive, if you understood its origins.

Greeks used X as the symbol for Chi, Christo or Xristo. X is the Greek symbol for Christ. In early Christian times, X was used as the symbol for Christ himself.

I don't care, I don't like it, quit writing it. Sort of like "xmas" instead of Christmas.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
I don't care, I don't like it, quit writing it. Sort of like "xmas" instead of Christmas.

Actually, it's exactly the same.Writing "Xmas" is a long, longstanding Christian tradition. Commercial enterprises may think that they're taking the "Christ" out of "Christmas" by writing it "Xmas," but they're actually the same thing.......

......and you need to get some of Dr. Jedediah Blacklove's Skin Thickening Cream, and get over it. He's not going to quit writing it, because he's an Orthodox Jew, for the same reasons that he writes "God", "G-d." Think of it as his way of respecting his religion, and yours.

"I don't care. I don't like it." Want some cheese to go with that whine???? :lfao:

OP
J

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Actually, it's exactly the same.Writing "Xmas" is a long, longstanding Christian tradition. Commercial enterprises may think that they're taking the "Christ" out of "Christmas" by writing it "Xmas," but they're actually the same thing.......

......and you need to get some of Dr. Jedediah Blacklove's Skin Thickening Cream, and get over it. He's not going to quit writing it, because he's an Orthodox Jew, for the same reasons that he writes "God", "G-d." Think of it as his way of respecting his religion, and yours.

"I don't care. I don't like it." Want some cheese to go with that whine???? :lfao:

elder999, Lets try to be a little respectful of others shall we? "Want some cheese to go with that whine"...come on now, you can do better than that.; I started typing G_d to not offend him, I merely asked him to exhibit the same courtesy. And I don't buy your x out of Christmas arguement at all.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
elder999, Lets try to be a little respectful of others shall we? "Want some cheese to go with that whine"...come on now, you
can do better than that

I dunno, I thought it was pretty good. :lol:

In all seriousness, respect is earned, and, around here,from me, comments that are-dare I say it?-somewhat snarky are to be expected, from time to time.

And I don't buy your x out of Christmas arguement at all.

And yet:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xmas :

Usage of X for Christ in ancient languages
For the article about the "ΧΡ" symbol see Chi Rho. The word "Christ" and its compounds, including "Christmas", have been abbreviated in English for at least the past 1,000 years, long before the modern "Xmas" was commonly used. "Christ" was often written as "XP" or "Xt"; there are references in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle as far back as AD 1021. This X and P arose as the uppercase forms of the Greek letters χ and ρ used in ancient abbreviations for Χριστος (Greek for "Christ"), and are still widely seen in many Eastern Orthodox icons depicting Jesus Christ. The labarum, an amalgamation of the two Greek letters rendered as ☧, is a symbol often used to represent Christ in Catholic, Protestant, and Orthodox Christian Churches.[8]

The labarum, often called the Chi-Rho, is a Christian symbol representing Christ.

The occasionally held belief that the "X" represents the cross on which Christ was crucified also has no basis in fact

and:

The Oxford English Dictionary and OED Supplement have cited usages of "X-" or "Xp-" for "Christ-" in 1485 ("Xpian"), 1598 ("Xpian"), and "Xtian" in 1845, 1915 and 1940. It cites "Xtianity" usage in 1634, 1811 and 1966. "Most of the evidence for these words comes from educated Englishmen who knew their Greek," according to Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of English Usage, referring to the OED citations

And, turning once more to the very excellent Merriam-Webster's Online English Language Technical Manual (that's engineerspeak for "dictionary" :lfao:-see? snarky):

Main Entry: Xmas Pronunciation: \ˈkris-məs also ˈeks-məs\ Function: noun Etymology: X (symbol for Christ, from the Greek letter chi (X), initial of Christos Christ) + -mas (in Christmas) Date: 1551

I mean-he told you to do the research, and you're sitting in front of a great research tool, and you don't even bother?

OP
J

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I dunno, I thought it was pretty good. :lol:

In all seriousness, respect is earned, and, around here,from me, comments that are-dare I say it?-somewhat snarky are to be expected, from time to time.

And yet:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xmas :

and:

And, turning once more to the very excellent Merriam-Webster's Online English Language Technical Manual (that's engineerspeak for "dictionary" :lfao:-see? snarky):

I mean-he told you to do the research, and you're sitting in front of a great research tool, and you don't even bother?

What don't you understand about the words "I don't care" and "I find it offensive". And quite frankly, I'm getting rather tired of your boorish behaviour.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
What don't you understand about the words "I don't care" and "I find it offensive". And quite frankly, I'm getting rather tired of your boorish behaviour.

Hey, Joab, didja know that I own a winery? I do.

You've inspired me-this years pinot will be labeled: Joab's Xmas Piss, Moan and Whine in your honor.

And here's your sign:

Attachments

• $CheeseWithThatWhine-2_5-wid.gif
    5.6 KB · Views: 156

Latest Discussions