Does Spinning Hook Kick Technique Change Based on Rule Set?

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Does the technique used for spinning hook kick depend upon the rule set? Do you change your technique depending on whether head punches are allowed, for instance?

I see the technique with a large "whip" being used in WTF TKD, as shown at 2:42 here. It's the technique we are taught in the WTF-style school I attend.

However, when I watch some practitioners who train with head punches, I see a focus on being more upright, and quicker to return to a fighting position. Example, 2:08 on this video

How do you throw the spinning hook kick? Do you change it depending on rules?

Last edited by a moderator:

malteaser14

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I use the 2nd technique, however my Master does mention that other styles use the 1st technique. One of the reasons he teaches the 2nd technique is so that if someone were to counter the kick it's easier to keep your balance than if your bent over. It also means I'm back in a fighting stance quicker.

That said, I'm sure the MA's that use the 1st technique don't find it a problem, just personal choice I guess.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
There is no perfect or exact way to do any kick or punch or throw. The situation will dictate what the technique looks like. You will alter your angles, speed, point of attack by what you see in front of you.

Now when you practice you should use the most range of motion technique as this will allow you to use the technique from any distance or angle. When you practice you don't have to worry about the target moving or hitting back. But in combat your opponent will be hitting back and moving so you may get jammed and have to shorten your technique meaning your body will be more up right. If you have to reach a bit more because your opponent moves or leans back then you will need to lean back a bit more and not be as upright.

Practice like in vid 1 and apply as needed.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Both are correct. I personally teach (for competitors) to start out like an off centered side kick about 3-6 inches out then whip through. Less tell and more direct. It does not have the same power but keeps juniors from getting dqed.

OP
G

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
It changes based on the System. Not the ruleset.
What's the difference? I am thinking that the system comes from the ruleset (e.g., the boxing stance is because of the gloves and rules of only punching).

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
What's the difference? I am thinking that the system comes from the ruleset (e.g., the boxing stance is because of the gloves and rules of only punching).

I would say a system is different because it is just that, a martial arts system. Taekwon-Do, for instance, has many, many more techniques than show up in competetive sparring. The rule set limits the targets that can be attacked, the attacking tools that can be used, etc. But the system itself, taken as a whole, isn't limited in this manner.

A system is the martial art itself. The rule set is what is used when people want to compete. Ideally the rule set will reflect at least the fundamental "doctrine" of the style in question (e.g. Taekwon-Do's rule set granting more points for kicking techniques than hand techniques, more point for flying kicks than standing kicks, more points for flying hand techniques than for stationary hand techniques, etc.) but it will always be a limited "reflection" of a much larger body of techniques (and possibly only a partial implementation of the system's underlying principles).

Pax,

Chris

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Boxing is a System based on Punching, correct? Then of course itll use a Stance that suits that. And in an Arena of Boxing in which You fight a Boxer, of course You wont bother defending against things that not only arent in the system, but arent a threat. Boxing Punches are different to Karate Punches, and there are about 4 ways off the top of My head to throw a hook punch, 4-5 ways to throw a straight punch, about 2-3 for an upward punch, and so on.
Spinning Hook Kicks, Spinning Heel Kicks, and so forth, are about as different as the Traditional Taekwondo Punch from the Hip found in forms from the Kempo Karate Punch from the Rib Cage.

Latest Discussions