Does sex sell in Martial Arts?

Black Belt Jedi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It seems to me that this is pretty much the dilemma. Women's MMA isn't very deep yet, but the ladies who compete are skilled. The athletes have skill, heart and the will (as you put it) and they sell a quality product. But no one will see it if they don't market it. And if no on sees it, they don't make a living.

It's the dream of most professional athletes, regardless of their sport, to do it full time. They want to make enough money doing what they love so that they don't have to punch a time card anymore. So, I guess I don't find it blasphemous. I think it's very practical.

Also, I don't think it's been brought up yet, but while I would argue that MMA is a martial art, the sport of MMA is just that: a sport. For the pros who are trying to make a career out of it, it's also a business. It's all of these things at the same time.

Yeah I guess it has to be balance. I came down too hard on this subject.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In related news - Chris Cyborg tested positive for roids. Uh oh.

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Actually, that IS a suprise to me.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Having never known a female food user, wouldn't even know what to look for.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having never known a female food user, wouldn't even know what to look for.

Basically same as the men, more pronounced in women because it makes them look more masculine, look at the lower jaw, the muscles along the top of the shoulders, acne on the back as well as a more masculine outline than you'd expect for a woman. Female bodybuilders are the best examples especially if you can get a before and after photo of them. While they use fake tans to show their muscles off they also use it to hide the acne. Because she hasn't had to fight hard or go a long distance yet you won't have seen her stomach distend , it starts off nice and flat but bloats. I'm surprised she was caught though more pros who use steroids cycle them and know not to have them in their blood when it's time for testing.
The thing is though she's basically fighting women as a man, that's unfair to say the least.
Before and after.

images
images

ryuu55

White Belt
Reaction score
Sex sells it always will. I can and will appreciate a beautiful women that can kick the ***** out of you, plan and simple. In a similar note my wife loves to watch mma, one reason (not the only one) is because she finds fighters like frank mir, alistair overeem & thiago alves attractive. Hell she thinks gina carano I hot too!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sex sells it always will. I can and will appreciate a beautiful women that can kick the ***** out of you, plan and simple. In a similar note my wife loves to watch mma, one reason (not the only one) is because she finds fighters like frank mir, alistair overeem & thiago alves attractive. Hell she thinks gina carano I hot too!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She finds Frank Mir attractive? Perhaps we should have another discussion on who finds who attractive because he's ugly so is Alves actually! Alistair ( the Brit) Overeem is okay, nothing special.

lma

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I think it does cheapen the sport a little drags it down into wrestling type entertainment.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I appreciate the responses. I have to say, though, that the WWE references fall a little flat. There is a WWE atmosphere already. It's actually way more muted in the UFC than it was/is in other promotions overseas like Pride (in the day), Dream and such. But it's there.

I'm not a huge fan of it. I think that less of the circus atmosphere elevates the sport somewhat, but it's already there.

Rousey calling out Tate is different. It's not WWE. It's simple, straightforward self promotion that has been a part of fighting since forever. And the bottom line in my opinion is that it worked in all ways. It got Rousey the fight she was looking for and it has generated a lot of interest in the upcoming card for a female bout, bringing a lot of attention to the sport of female MMA, which is good for all of the athletes.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I see the whole thing as a double-edged sword (heh) for women, for sport and for people in general.

On one hand, I think it's great that beauty can be associated with physical strength. When my youngest drools over military movies, my old man constantly wonders aloud how many women one would see toting a .50 cal in the suck. Being attracted to women because they work out or have a strong body is one thing, being able to appreciate a woman who can *fight* is something else. It takes a certain appreciation of a person as a whole, regardless of their gender.

On the other hand, the damage done to our society on a psychological basis because of the use of sex in marketing is *evident* as it continues to be the desired goal, the unattainable pot'o'gold that ya gotta have; you're supposed to want it so much you'll buy freakin' anything ... but you're *not* supposed to *do* it. And if you do, damn you with any and all consequences because many people don't want you to be safe about it nor keep you from ruining your life forever.

What will *really* be great ... is when we no longer have to have conversations like this one - no offense intended, Steve.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I see the whole thing as a double-edged sword (heh) for women, for sport and for people in general.

On one hand, I think it's great that beauty can be associated with physical strength. When my youngest drools over military movies, my old man constantly wonders aloud how many women one would see toting a .50 cal in the suck. Being attracted to women because they work out or have a strong body is one thing, being able to appreciate a woman who can *fight* is something else. It takes a certain appreciation of a person as a whole, regardless of their gender.

On the other hand, the damage done to our society on a psychological basis because of the use of sex in marketing is *evident* as it continues to be the desired goal, the unattainable pot'o'gold that ya gotta have; you're supposed to want it so much you'll buy freakin' anything ... but you're *not* supposed to *do* it. And if you do, damn you with any and all consequences because many people don't want you to be safe about it nor keep you from ruining your life forever.

What will *really* be great ... is when we no longer have to have conversations like this one - no offense intended, Steve.
But I like talking about sex. :)

I hear what you're saying, but I want to be clear that I used the term "sex sells," but I'm not talking about foxy boxing or anything demeaning whatsoever. I see the promotion of strong, capable, competent women who are attractive as being positive. As you say, it provides an alternative model for what is "sexy."

And no offense taken at all. I get your point. I do, however, see that as long as there are the beautiful people, whether they be models, movie stars or elite level athletes, there will always be discussions about the pressure to look like something that is for most people unattainable. I don't know what the answer is, but expecting them to stop being insanely attractive or for people to stop fantasizing about either being with or being like them is a little unrealistic.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never heard of her. But, after seeing and hearing her talk, I will be looking for her next fight. I'm sold.......... :)

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
March 3rd. Whatever else we might think, it worked. She has managed to get folks talking about female MMA. She's generated a lot of interest in her. And she's been offered the title shot against Meisha Tate on March 3rd jumping ahead of at least a couple of top contenders in the weight class. And the card should draw some pretty good numbers.

Black Belt Jedi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It's good to have sex appeal for women in MMA as long as it is not overused to a point that we have only sex symbols and eye candy that have the looks but less skill.

Latest Discussions