Do you want to evaluate my workout?

amateur

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I made it myself for my solo training. Tell me what you think about it.

-Warm up: 25 jumping jacks or some light running.
-Active stretching: 16 lateral lunges.
-20 jab/cross combos (10 per side).
-Isometric ledge pull up (10 breaths long); alternately, if you have built up more strength than me, you can do a number of reps instead.
-Horse stance (20 breaths long).
-10 knuckles push ups.
-15 lying leg raises.
-20 snap kicks (10 per leg).
-20 roundhouse kicks (10 per leg).
-20 push kicks (10 per leg).
-Cool down: 10 chi breaths.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What are you trying to accomplish with this? Are you receiving instruction from anyone in either martial arts or fitness? If so, did you design this with their input? What do they think of this?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It looks like your solo training has covered the following areas:

1. Endurance.
2. Flexibility.
3. Balance.
4. Power.
5. Speed.
6. MA skill.

As for the MA skill, each week you can pick up 4 favor combos and drill it as east, south, west, north and repeat 20 times. This way, your MA skill solo training will be different each week.

For example,

1. Facing east - round house kick, side kick combo (kick).
2. Facing south - jab, cross, uppercut, hook combo (punch).
3. Facing west - shoulder lock, elbow lock combo (lock).
4. Facing north - hip throw, single leg combo (throw).

Repeat 1, 2, 3, 4 for 20 times. This way you can be sure that you have covered kick, punch, lock, and throw.

Last edited:

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

-Isometric ledge pull up (10 breaths long); alternately, if you have built up more strength than me, you can do a number of reps instead.
-10 knuckles push ups.
-15 lying leg raises.
Welcome to the forum.
What is your level of experience? This seem like a very good cardio & strength curriculum. If your experience is limited I would be concerned about the kick and punch technique.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

-10 knuckles push ups.
-15 lying leg raises.

You really need a trainer, or an instructor, coach, or whatever.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You really need a trainer, or an instructor, coach, or whatever.
How do you know that he is not a trainer, instructor, coach, Sensei, Sifu, master, grand master, great grand master himself?

If Mike Tyson comes to this forum and post his 1st post as the OP does, will you tell him, "You really need a trainer".

My question is, "How do you know that he is not Mike Tyson?" :)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How do you know that he is not a trainer, instructor, coach, Sensei, Sifu, master, grand master, great grand master himself?

If Mike Tyson comes to this forum and post his 1st post as the OP does, will you tell him, "You really need a trainer".

My question is, "How do you know that he is not Mike Tyson?" :)

Because what he posted as a workout, isn't a work out. It's barely a warm up. It's what people who are taking a day off from training do on days they do nothing. Ten push ups? I din't even know push ups came in small packages of ten.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll do at least 60 push ups. 10 per side may be low. 20 or 30 per side should be about right.

He's not (from what he wrote) doing one-handed push ups... He's doing 10. Total.

I have to agree with @Buka. Our students do more kicks than that just warming up.

To be fair, though... if he's a couch potato who has never exercised a day in his life, this may well be all he can manage. It's at least a start, and better than playing WoW.

Reactions: pdg

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'll do at least 60 push ups. 10 per side may be low. 20 or 30 per side should be about right.

Again if he is 90 years old, 10 push ups is not bad at all. :)

He's 32.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score

-10 knuckles push ups.
-15 lying leg raises.
Workout? This is a warm up.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Did anyone notice the really tactful way I approached that?

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Did anyone notice the really tactful way I approached that?

It was impressive in it's tactfulness.

As to the workout, it looks quite a lot like what my daughter did in her "little dragons" class as part one of the warmup.

Except for the knuckle pushups, that would've been a bit mean to get a 5 year old girl doing those...

You'd need to add some stuff to equal her warmup though - like throw in some sit-ups, and some burpees, and do the whole set 3 or 4 times - then do the actual class.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't think he'd have the username 'amateur', which to my mind indicates a lot so perhaps some advice from people rather than laughing?

OP
A

amateur

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Ten push ups? I din't even know push ups came in small packages of ten.

I'm talking about full push ups, sweetie. Inhale as you go all the way down, till your chest brushes the ground, then exhale as you go all the way up. If we're talking about 'cheating reps', I also can do several tens of them, but try to do just ten ones, on your knuckles and on a marble floor, after you have just done the exercises that come before push ups in my workout, and see how 'easy' it is.

OP
A

amateur

Orange Belt
Reaction score
That whole thing isn't even a warm up. That would take 5 mins tops.

It takes me 30-45 minutes. I'd like to see you do all that stuff in 5 minutes (no cheating reps and punching/kicking with proper technique); if you can really do that, post a video of yourself and you'll have my respect.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It takes me 30-45 minutes. I'd like to see you do all that stuff in 5 minutes (no cheating reps and punching/kicking with proper technique); if you can really do that, post a video of yourself and you'll have my respect.

I was curious, so I decided to try this out last night btw. You're right. Took a bit longer than 5 minutes...maybe 10. Made a few adjustments-regular pull ups instead of holding, held the pushup in 'down' position for 3 seconds each, to make 100% certain I wasn't cheating, and side blade kicks instead of snap kicks..don't like snap kicks.

I'm also not in the greatest shape at the moment. It's a good starting point, but if you're still new to working out, I would make sure to add more cardio, add something for your core, and way more stretching. I hate stretching, I think it's the devils work, but it's still important.

Latest Discussions