Do you want to evaluate my workout?

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Dunno man, I hadn't given that much thought to my workout's duration, because it had never occurred to me that there is a minimum amount of time training should last, so I never trained with a watch around my wrist. But still, I think the guy who said he can do it in 5 minutes was exaggerating

I've never considered a minimum either, but I can say that the list at the start of this thread wouldn't be much of a workout for me - and it's personal effect that's the important thing.

I could go through it in (as the saying goes) 5 minutes (it'd honestly be between 5 and 10) - but I know plenty of people who couldn't make it to the end...

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
-Warm up: 25 jumping jacks or some light running.
I won't consider jumping jack or lighting running as warm up. To me, warm up is to loose all body joints. You should start form bottom and go up:

- toes joint,
- ankle joint,
- knee joint,
- hip and groin joint,
- waist joint,
- spine,
- shoulder joint,
- elbow joint,
- wrist joint,
- finger joint,
- neck joint.

For example, to loose your

- shoulder joint, you can rotate one arm forward wihile rotate the other arm backward.
- finger joints, you can grab a tight fist, open your palm with fingers open, ...

Last edited:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You weren’t one of those evil PT instructors that liked to call out “half way down and hold it” while they talk to the class were you... they liked to call them motivational exercises.....evil bastards. Lol

Nah. But I was one of those guys who...

I taught DT long before I was a cop. I was a contractor at Boston's Academy. (The DT instructors over a span of twenty years were all full time Martial Arts students of mine.) The Academy was a mile from my house. A mile in the opposite direction was a local ball field, with a worn out outfield. I don't know how much Academies make the cadets run these days, but it used to be a LOT. Especially those first few months.

So....a hundred and fifty cadets would run by my house with some of the Academy staff. They would be running and singing to military cadences. They would run some miles in a circular route, then stop at that ball field, especially when it was raining. Then they would do push ups in the mud puddles. A whole boot load of push ups.

I'd walk down with a cup of hot tea and watch, crouching right down so I could give encouragement to the ones I thought needed it....and give a hard time to the ones I thought needed that. All the while telling them how glorious and warm my tea was as they shivered in the mud.

Good times. :)

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I made it myself for my solo training. Tell me what you think about it.

-Warm up: 25 jumping jacks or some light running.
-Active stretching: 16 lateral lunges.
-20 jab/cross combos (10 per side).
-Isometric ledge pull up (10 breaths long); alternately, if you have built up more strength than me, you can do a number of reps instead.
-Horse stance (20 breaths long).
-10 knuckles push ups.
-15 lying leg raises.
-20 snap kicks (10 per leg).
-20 roundhouse kicks (10 per leg).
-20 push kicks (10 per leg).
-Cool down: 10 chi breaths.
people were a bit mean about your warm up, sorry work out , so I'll try and give some pointers,

have some idea of what your trying to achieve and find the best exercises for that, rather than picking them at random,
stop doing push ups on your knuggles, it only restricting the number of push up you can do and the benefit to the rest of your body,

if your trying to build strength then doing much more than 10 push ups is a waste of time, let's say you work up to 30 then only the last five of them is helping you to your goal, so make the push up harder by elevating your feet, moving your arms, so that 5 to 10 is all you can do, and save a sh d load of time.

don't do an isometric hold on the pull up, do an isokinetic ( very slow) descent, in no time you'll be able to reverse the process and do a proper pull up or 10

get some body weight squats in there

OP
A

amateur

Orange Belt
Reaction score
1. Have some idea of what your trying to achieve and find the best exercises for that, rather than picking them at random,
stop doing push ups on your knuggles, it only restricting the number of push up you can do and the benefit to the rest of your body.

2. Don't do an isometric hold on the pull up, do an isokinetic ( very slow) descent, in no time you'll be able to reverse the process and do a proper pull up or 10.

3. Get some body weight squats in there

1. I have gone past the phase when I used to believe that, to be a good martial artist, you have to have buffed muscles. I selected exercises that make me a better martial artist. I do push ups not so much to build muscles as to harden my knuckles and be able to punch hard surfaces (I guess it's the same idea as bone conditioning exercises I talked about on another thread).

2. I have considered replacing this with chin ups. I can do 10 of them, as opposed to pull ups, which I can't even do one of. Do you think chin ups will help me build strength for pull ups?

3. I discarded squats long ago, because they would turn my knees into a mess. I prefer isometric horse stance.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
1. I have gone past the phase when I used to believe that, to be a good martial artist, you have to have buffed muscles. I selected exercises that make me a better martial artist. I do push ups not so much to build muscles as to harden my knuckles and be able to punch hard surfaces (I guess it's the same idea as bone conditioning exercises I talked about on another thread).

2. I have considered replacing this with chin ups. I can do 10 of them, as opposed to pull ups, which I can't even do one of. Do you think chin ups will help me build strength for pull ups?

3. I discarded squats long ago, because they would turn my knees into a mess. I prefer isometric horse stance.
you ask d for feed back now you want to argue about it, just carry on with what your doing,

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Huh? Did I miss something?
yes the bit where you were told to stop for BG push up on youknuggles and you said a) it was good for you and b) you have no desire to increase you dreadful level of strength, coz ma don't need it ? sorry mate life's to short

OP
A

amateur

Orange Belt
Reaction score
yes the bit where you were told to stop for BG push up on youknuggles and you said a) it was good for you and b) you have no desire to increase you dreadful level of strength, coz ma don't need it ? sorry mate life's to short

Chill, we're having a discussion. I ask for feedback, people tell me their opinion, I tell them mine and it goes on. You asked me what I hoped to achieve when picking my exercises and I told you.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Chill, we're having a discussion. I ask for feedback, people tell me their opinion, I tell them mine and it goes on. You asked me what I hoped to achieve when picking my exercises and I told you.
Building muscles is important for martial arts though, at least if your goal is to be good in fights. You dont have to go crazy with it, but a certain amount of strength is needed.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

What is your distinction between the terms "chin up" and "pull up"? I use them for the same exercise.

MetalBoar

Black Belt
Reaction score
What is your distinction between the terms "chin up" and "pull up"? I use them for the same exercise.
I believe most people define a "chin up" as being performed with hands supinated and a "pull up" performed with hands pronated. For most people the chin up is mechanically easier to perform than a pull up.

OP
A

amateur

Orange Belt
Reaction score

Pull up: Hands pronated, arms about 1.5 shoulder width apart.

Chin up: Hands supinated, arms about shoulder width apart.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe most people define a "chin up" as being performed with hands supinated and a "pull up" performed with hands pronated. For most people the chin up is mechanically easier to perform than a pull up.

Pull up: Hands pronated, arms about 1.5 shoulder width apart.

Chin up: Hands supinated, arms about shoulder width apart.

Apparently that's a common usage I wasn't aware of. As you said, MetalBoar, I can do a larger number of chin-ups than pull-ups. I've just always used the terms interchangeably.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Apparently that's a common usage I wasn't aware of. As you said, MetalBoar, I can do a larger number of chin-ups than pull-ups. I've just always used the terms interchangeably.
I guess I am not that technical; palms in, palms out. Palms in seem to work my biceps, palms out seem to work my shoulders. Both work my core I think.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
yes very much so, it's easier as you have your biceps maximally engage, which you should do depends on what real world application your training for, if you want to pump up your biceps, then the chin up is king, but then your developed pull strength, will require you to engage the biceps, IE nuckles down,/ away from you, which isnt the most convenient, if your dragging someone on to a ledge, or pulling some one towards you, or climbing a wall

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes very much so, it's easier as you have your biceps maximally engage, which you should do depends on what real world application your training for, if you want to pump up your biceps, then the chin up is king, but then your developed pull strength, will require you to engage the biceps, IE nuckles down,/ away from you, which isnt the most convenient, if your dragging someone on to a ledge, or pulling some one towards you, or climbing a wall
And you can probably add much of grappling to that list. It's early, and I'm on my first cup of coffee, so I might rethink this distribution, but a quick mental check says much more than half of the pulling in grappling would be better served by the pull-up.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
And you can probably add much of grappling to that list. It's early, and I'm on my first cup of coffee, so I might rethink this distribution, but a quick mental check says much more than half of the pulling in grappling would be better served by the pull-up.
yes, it seem to have a lot more real world applications, but do both, in fact get a pull up bar with pegs on and do the newtral position as well,

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
we have clearly got different perspectives on this discussion, mine is that you are largely clueless on physical fitness in general and what specifically you need to develop for fighting, as such I'm trying to give you some pointers, yours is that what you are doing is right and you don't need to take any heed of what I'm saying, which makes me typing it a a waste of time and effort, you remind me if the fasting man we had a few months ago,