Why don't eastern martial arts have a cross punch?

D

Deleted member 39746

BOOM!

Close thread ;D

Most anti climatic thing i can tell you. :p

Yeah they do have cross punches, i will back Dave up on it. Cross being another word for a straight punch or type of. if you were looking for more info. (feel free to correct, i cant remember precisely )

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My understanding of the terminology (I'm not trained in boxing, but have picked some up from folks who were) is that a "cross" is a rear straight that happens to cross a guard (the opponent's guard arm). At least that's one definition. I've heard at least one other that had some other requirement, but I've forgotten it.

So, while most eastern arts don't seem to use that term ("cross"), it certainly happens. All of them teach straight punching from both front and back hand (excepting the extremes, of course, where the back hand has no straight access).

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Gyaku tsuki or reverse punch in karate would be the same as cross punch (unless there are indeed technical differences... chambering etc).

D

Deleted member 39746

I'll call

- leading hand punch as jab,
- back hand punch as cross.

This way, all MA systems have cross.

I have the reverse i like to treat leading and back hand as both straight punches. I dont like to say jab as it gives the impression i like to light punch with my left hand which i dont.

blame my interest in self defence and wanting every strike to be a power and knock out capable hit. :p

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the reverse i like to treat leading and back hand as both straight punches. I dont like to say jab as it gives the impression i like to light punch with my left hand which i dont.

blame my interest in self defence and wanting every strike to be a power and knock out capable hit. :p
While I like to deliver power, I'm more likely to get that knockout on someone who has any skill at all if I can disrupt them with the speed of a lighter punch. That's what jabs are for. Like you, I can hit hard with my jab (I still call it a jab, regardless of power), but get my best set-ups from strategic use of the lighter, quicker jabs.

Latest Discussions