Do you need to hate your attacker?

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Although hate and Anger can make even a small man very dangerous. Never underestimate it. Your opponent might have high uncontrolled rage. Bi polar people are sometimes like this.
But if they "lose it," they are at a disadvantage if you are in control and observant, and if you are able to manipulate them. They're only dangerous if their anger catches you by surprise.

It's the cucumber-cool psychopaths you have to watch out for.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hate may just be the wrong word. I prefer Josey Wales analogy. You just have to get plumb mad dog mean.

When fighting for survival you to lose hesitation, sympathy, and/or remorse for your attacker...your only goal is your survival.

Attachments

• 12izme.jpg
    12izme.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 103

caped crusader

Brown Belt
Reaction score
you do get some weird mentalities though.. i remember a very Far Left guy telling me he hated war, which is ok. I asked how he deals with conflicts and because of his opinions on war i said so what would you do if you were a soldier and another man was going to put a bayonet through you or your friend. would you kill him?
He said no i would put up my arms and let him kill me... :eek:

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
you do get some weird mentalities though.. i remember a very Far Left guy telling me he hated war, which is ok. I asked how he deals with conflicts and because of his opinions on war i said so what would you do if you were a soldier and another man was going to put a bayonet through you or your friend. would you kill him?
He said no i would put up my arms and let him kill me... :eek:
Eh, he's lying. Extreme positions are based on limited direct experience.

ThatOneCanadian

Green Belt
Reaction score
If you are in a non-life-or-death situation, no. There is no reason to have a burning hatred over some drunk 5ft4 guy trying to shove you around.

If you are in a life-or-death situation, yes. People don't go to war with a smile on their face.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If you are in a non-life-or-death situation, no. There is no reason to have a burning hatred over some drunk 5ft4 guy trying to shove you around.

If you are in a life-or-death situation, yes. People don't go to war with a smile on their face.
I think the point of martial arts is to fight with neither a frown nor a smile, but a blank expression ... or one of concentration and focus.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I dont think I have ever hated anyone. Ive been attacked by and have "attacked" (for lack of a better word) hundreds of people as a police officer. Never hated a single one. Even killed someone once and didnt hate him. I feel bad I was put in that situation and I feel bad for his family but I know he wasnt of sane mind. Ive always looked at physical confrontations more like a business transaction dont get to high or to low just do what needs to be done to end it as quickly and safely as possible.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont think I have ever hated anyone. Ive been attacked by and have "attacked" (for lack of a better word) hundreds of people as a police officer. Never hated a single one. Even killed someone once and didnt hate him. I feel bad I was put in that situation and I feel bad for his family but I know he wasnt of sane mind. Ive always looked at physical confrontations more like a business transaction dont get to high or to low just do what needs to be done to end it as quickly and safely as possible.
Quoted for truth. This. Always this.
People who are overly emotional in confrontations will make bad choices. People will end up hurt or dead, when they didn't need to be. Do what needs to be done. No more, no less. And that requires a mind still capable of applying judgement.

MrBigglesworth

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Although hate and Anger can make even a small man very dangerous. Never underestimate it. Your opponent might have high uncontrolled rage. Bi polar people are sometimes like this.
Can see for and against with this.

It can cloud their judgement and cause you to do something that leaves them open.
OTOH, if they get the upper hand it may lead them go places no sane person would. Prison biatches or death row be damned.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Quoted for truth. This. Always this.
People who are overly emotional in confrontations will make bad choices. People will end up hurt or dead, when they didn't need to be. Do what needs to be done. No more, no less. And that requires a mind still capable of applying judgement.
It is scary amazing what a person who is on drugs and gets jacked up on adrenaline can and is willing to do.
We had a guy who was shot in the head in Vietnam in our town. Very mentally altered but as long as he was on his med's he did not cause much trouble.
One very cold night on patrol I passed a car dealership and saw Tommy buck naked. He would take a step then jump, over and over. I got out and opened the back door and he just walked over and jumped in, never saying a word. I got in the car and immediately blasted the heat. Tommy quickly said "can you turn off the heat, I am burning up". About 30 minutes later we were at the back of the PD and just talking (waiting for intake approval to carry him to the VA). A young officer came out and said something to the effect of "we have the paperwork". What transpired next you just had to be there to believe.
Tommy was slim, maybe weighing 140lbs. For the next several minutes he was the strongest person I have ever met. Part of this was trying to subdue him without hurting him but man oh man did he make that hard. And the noises he would make could only be described as animalistic. Totally scared the young officer off. That is another story.
Crazy stuff.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
It is scary amazing what a person who is on drugs and gets jacked up on adrenaline can and is willing to do.
We had a guy who was shot in the head in Vietnam in our town. Very mentally altered but as long as he was on his med's he did not cause much trouble.
One very cold night on patrol I passed a car dealership and saw Tommy buck naked. He would take a step then jump, over and over. I got out and opened the back door and he just walked over and jumped in, never saying a word. I got in the car and immediately blasted the heat. Tommy quickly said "can you turn off the heat, I am burning up". About 30 minutes later we were at the back of the PD and just talking (waiting for intake approval to carry him to the VA). A young officer came out and said something to the effect of "we have the paperwork". What transpired next you just had to be there to believe.
Tommy was slim, maybe weighing 140lbs. For the next several minutes he was the strongest person I have ever met. Part of this was trying to subdue him without hurting him but man oh man did he make that hard. And the noises he would make could only be described as animalistic. Totally scared the young officer off. That is another story.
Crazy stuff.
When young men come out of anesthesia it is common for them to come up swinging. These are post surgical patients, so you can’t just manhandle them. It can get pretty wild sometimes. More than once the nurse has become a patient.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Crazy stuff.
In the ED, we call things like this "Monday"...
Just as an aside, any time I hear a patch that boils down to "wandering around naked in the snow" I think "Meth". For some reason, meth users end up naked in the snow with amazing frequency.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just as an aside, any time I hear a patch that boils down to "wandering around naked in the snow" I think "Meth". For some reason, meth users end up naked in the snow with amazing frequency.
Glad the ED gets them BEFORE they come to the OR. Bless you guys for the work you do.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When young men come out of anesthesia it is common for them to come up swinging. These are post surgical patients, so you can’t just manhandle them. It can get pretty wild sometimes. More than once the nurse has become a patient.
When I had my foot surgery, I am told I came out of anesthesia swinging.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We never take it personal. I typically position myself on transfer so as not to catch a wild swing or groping hand. There have however, been a few rodeos. It’s not ideal and I blame the anesthesiologist.
I told my surgeon, “Hey, you came after me with a knife. What did you expect?” :D

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
When I had my foot surgery, I am told I came out of anesthesia swinging.
When my eye was removed, I came out of anesthesia swinging. But not to hurt. I was hitting on the absolutely stunning young Indian nurse in the recovery room. I wasn't obscene, but I have always been somewhat reserved, and I was ready to marry her on the spot. Or at least get a date.
I was 17 at the time. And when my brain began to function properly, I was mortified.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That doesn't sound right...you guys don't know what snow is. Just ask @Xue Sheng

Latest Discussions