Do you modify your Wing Chun when sparring?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In wrestling, the "leg spring:" is one of the door opening moves. When you spring your opponent's leg, your opponent can

- resist, or
- yield,

you can then respond to his respond.

Anttonyt

White Belt
Reaction score
I have a kung fu bible and posting to see if anyone can let me know a value, it's ving tsun bible by Grand master Ip Ching Thanks

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have a kung fu bible and posting to see if anyone can let me know a value, it's ving tsun bible by Grand master Ip Ching Thanks

you should start a new thread about your topic instead of adding it to this one.

OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Another thing-- if you start a new thread with a good subject line, you can target your audience and be more likely to get a useful response. Oh and BTW, no, I don't know the market value of that book. Do you train Wing Chun or just happen to have the book?

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm just glad somebody's posting something . I'm tempted to put my grocery list on here. Maybe we can get a debate going on which brand of peas is best.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm just glad somebody's posting something . I'm tempted to put my grocery list on here. Maybe we can get a debate going on which brand of peas is best.
Peas suck. You just don't know that because you've never properly eaten string beans.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Man, this turned ugly quicker than I thought it would.

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
my peas are the only true peas and....oh...you get the point... hahahahaha

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my peas are the only true peas and....oh...you get the point... hahahahaha
You don't even really know what peas are. Yeah, those things you think are peas are green and LOOK like peas, but they lack the fundamentals of actual peas.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going to need to see an old, badly translated korean manuscript on the origin of peas for proof.

upload_2019-2-12_20-2-1.jpeg

You can clearly see in this photo that Korean noodles do not contain peas. People have been claiming this, but it is not true. Peas have never been part of Korean noodles.

PiedmontChun

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Yes but.... Peas are great but modern times have shown us that beans are in fact necessary as well. If you aren't eating beans in addition to your peas, then your diet is just incomplete.;):)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes but.... Peas are great but modern times have shown us that beans are in fact necessary as well. If you aren't eating beans in addition to your peas, then your diet is just incomplete.;):)
There is a long history of eating peas. If peas weren't good enough, people wouldn't have kept eating them. Just because you can't subsist on peas, that doesn't mean people who truly understand how to eat them can't. The problem is you, not the peas.

Highlander

Green Belt
Reaction score
When you spar, especially if you spar against other styles, do you adjust or modify your guard and techniques or do you work from the classical back-weighted stance, facing your opponent squarely with hands held in a man-wu-sau position extending out from center-line?

And how do you move? Are you constantly moving and evasive or do you try to find or create an opening and explode straight forward?
First off. I didnt read most of this thread.
But as far as modifying the system goes... no. I don't modify it. At least not in the traditional sense. I dont actively try and do things differently, in fact I dont actively try and do anything. I just do things. When training forms and drills you're trying to get the movement as perfect as possible. But when sparring you need to let the movement be free and unrestricted.
My sifu said this the other day and it really stuck in my hand.

"Dont train to be like Wing Tsun. Train to make Wing Tsun be like you"

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First off. I didnt read most of this thread.
But as far as modifying the system goes... no. I don't modify it. At least not in the traditional sense. I dont actively try and do things differently, in fact I dont actively try and do anything. I just do things. When training forms and drills you're trying to get the movement as perfect as possible. But when sparring you need to let the movement be free and unrestricted.
My sifu said this the other day and it really stuck in my hand.

"Dont train to be like Wing Tsun. Train to make Wing Tsun be like you"
I hope you at least read the important discussion of the value of peas vs. beans.

Latest Discussions