Do you modify your Wing Chun when sparring?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You can also assume that you are "very good at a few simple techniques". This is why you train MA for. If your toes push kick (simple technique) can stop all attackers, nobody can punch you. It's the one technique that you can use it to deal with all punches (leg is longer than the arm).

hmm, I not sure the first couple are stoppers, they can and will just keep coming, and I'd be very wary of holding my leg up high like the last couple, it's just begging to be grabbed, get away with it once maybe, the second time he will have it

OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
hmm, I not sure the first couple are stoppers, they can and will just keep coming, and I'd be very wary of holding my leg up high like the last couple, it's just begging to be grabbed, get away with it once maybe, the second time he will have it

I gave John's video a "like". Against a boxer, I like the idea of jamming the lead leg with a sharp kick to the knee or shin. It doesn't have to do a lot of damage. I like it as a way to keep distance, rob power from the incoming punch, and as a distraction to get your attacker to look down or drop his hands and create an opening.

Sure, it's not going to work the same against a grappler... different body geometry. And like you say, that higher kick to the gut would just be a gift.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm getting the imprestion that you haven't had a lot of " street fights "

----And I'm getting the definite impression that you simply like to argue. :confused:

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm getting the imprestion that you haven't had a lot of " street fights "

----And I'm getting the definite impression that you simply like to argue. :confused:

Passionately discuss

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I gave John's video a "like". Against a boxer, I like the idea of jamming the lead leg with a sharp kick to the knee or shin. It doesn't have to do a lot of damage. I like it as a way to keep distance, rob power from the incoming punch, and as a distraction to get your attacker to look down or drop his hands and create an opening.

Sure, it's not going to work the same against a grappler... different body geometry. And like you say, that higher kick to the gut would just be a gift.
its one of them co operating partner techniques, look at it again, the attacker is planting his lead leg and bending it to throw a punch when he is out of range to make that punch, it's going to have to be done when the puncher is in range or he isn't going to present his leg in that manner, which negated the stop them getting in range claim,
. second that planted bent leg is not a natural motion out ,t side of ma really outside of eastern ma and not what is likely in a street attack, if you try to trap a straight leg in that manner, he will just step forward with the back leg and be well with in range

I'd happily trade a kick in the shin with a training shoe for the chance of hitting with a right cross,

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its one of them co operating partner techniques, look at it again, the attacker is planting his lead leg and bending it to throw a punch when he is out of range to make that punch, it's going to have to be done when the puncher is in range or he isn't going to present his leg in that manner, which negated the stop them getting in range claim,
. second that planted bent leg is not a natural motion out ,t side of ma really outside of eastern ma and not what is likely in a street attack, if you try to trap a straight leg in that manner, he will just step forward with the back leg and be well with in range

I'd happily trade a kick in the shin with a training shoe for the chance of hitting with a right cross,
Depending how it's used, that kick can have a number of effects. Used early, it stops that foot from planting where it's expected, which takes them a bit off balance (if you're extraordinarily lucky, it takes them a lot off balance), which makes a step-through cross unlikely. Used with some force, even a bit late, it pushes the knee back, which again changes their balance, making the step-through less likely. If someone is familiar with the kick, they can manage to step through it, but most folks won't be.

Of course, miss the kick, and you're standing there for that cross. I tend to use it when folks are entering/closing to punching range (rather than during the punch), because the penalty for it missing or not working is much smaller.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Depending how it's used, that kick can have a number of effects. Used early, it stops that foot from planting where it's expected, which takes them a bit off balance (if you're extraordinarily lucky, it takes them a lot off balance), which makes a step-through cross unlikely. Used with some force, even a bit late, it pushes the knee back, which again changes their balance, making the step-through less likely. If someone is familiar with the kick, they can manage to step through it, but most folks won't be.

Of course, miss the kick, and you're standing there for that cross. I tend to use it when folks are entering/closing to punching range (rather than during the punch), because the penalty for it missing or not working is much smaller.
my comments related to how that kick was described and demonstrated in the vid and the use described, all of which have significant practicality issue, if you have a vid if a dis similar application as you describe we can discuss that

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
my comments related to how that kick was described and demonstrated in the vid and the use described, all of which have significant practicality issue, if you have a vid if a dis similar application as you describe we can discuss that

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What qualifies a kick as a teep? I've never quite wrapped my head around the term.

It is kind of a front kick of the front leg. But really would be any sort of snappy stop kick. So sometimes they are back foot and sometimes they are a bit of a side kick.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
which really goes to show how hard it is to catch a kick whilst wearing boxing gloves

I have to agree with you, these kicks are good if your opponent is not moving

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is kind of a front kick of the front leg. But really would be any sort of snappy stop kick. So sometimes they are back foot and sometimes they are a bit of a side kick.
So, basically a kick used to stop/push, rather than do damage?

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
What qualifies a kick as a teep? I've never quite wrapped my head around the term.
In Muay Thai today the term 'teep' is generic for any straight forward kick with either of the legs.
Teep literally means 'push'.
There are numerous variations of what everyone today calls the 'teep'
The Push Teep
The Jab Teep
The Slapping Teep
The Side Teep
The Stop Kick Teep
The Thrusting Teep

PiedmontChun

Purple Belt
Reaction score
A front push kick is definitely a valid technique to maintain space and jam an opponent who wants to step in and punch you, but then what? You prevented them from entering striking range but you haven't really attacked them. Repeat that move a couple times and he will get wise to it, step around it, downward block it, or even grab it. A front kick that hangs out one millisecond too long is a gift wrapped single leg takedown for a wrestler. So a valid entry, but just one tool among a whole set of tools you would need.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
step around it, downward block it, or even grab it. ...
1. Step around it - foot sweep him - bend your leg to escape - ...
2. Downward block it - face punch him - dodge his punch - ...
3. Grab it - hammer fist on the back of his head - deflect his punch - ...

In MA, there are many "door opening moves" (such as the "low front kick"). It's not a finish move. It just start the game.

The "low front kick" is like the 1st move of your chess game. You don't checkmate your opponent on your 1st move.

Last edited: