Do you have a progressive mind set?

caped crusader

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The kicker didn't have enough mass behind that kick. Not quite sure of the effect that he was hopping to get. Maybe his expectations of the kick were unrealistic. Maybe this is how he thought that kick would work?
Probably just some kid who never trained before. Still not convinced it will work. As for Wrestling "shows" well .....

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Flying kicks might be good in the Octagon or other stages where you have room and flat. I question the usefulness for real life self defense, not because it's not effective, it's the environment. If you are at a crowed place, you don't have room to pick up the speed. If the floor is not flat, it's very likely you will be tripped over when you land and injure yourself. Think in a restaurant, even in side walk, you know how uneven the pavement is and you might have a curb. It's not practical for real life fight.

As matter of fact, even high spin, side kicks might give you problem in real life fights. Uneven floor will give you problem for balancing.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Flying kicks might be good in the Octagon or other stages where you have room and flat. I question the usefulness for real life self defense, not because it's not effective, it's the environment. If you are at a crowed place, you don't have room to pick up the speed. If the floor is not flat, it's very likely you will be tripped over when you land and injure yourself. Think in a restaurant, even in side walk, you know how uneven the pavement is and you might have a curb. It's not practical for real life fight.

said for many years, if you are gong to throw a jump kick, you better be pretty darn sure of your target...if it moved, your already committed and its to late to change, and you have absolutely no root so you are incredibly vulnerable...but they sure look cool

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
if you are gong to throw a jump kick, you better be pretty darn sure of your target...if it moved, your already committed and its to late to change, and you have absolutely no root so you are incredibly vulnerable...
It doesn't matter that much if

- the target of your jump kick is your opponent's leading leg knee joint,
- your goal is to land your fist on your opponent's face, and your jump kick is only part of your entering strategy.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

As matter of fact, even high spin, side kicks might give you problem in real life fights. Uneven floor will give you problem for balancing.

In self defense you have literally the entire world to fight in.

It is the octagon that limits your space.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Not if you are in restaurant or bars. It's obstacles all around you.
Most restaurants and bars in the US have more than enough space to do a flying kick. The space issue has less to do with how much space is around you and more to do with the space your opponent will allow you to have. In the 6th grade my fight took place outside and I had to run away at first to create enough space for the kick and then run towards my attacker for the kick and that was outdoors

Usually a person isn't going to allow that person to have a lot of space. In indoor settings, it usually starts with a yelling match with 2 people in each other faces and then the attack. There isn't going to be enough time and space to do flying kicks. Maybe a flying knee, but even that will be risky.

There's enough space to do one if you have the ability to do one in the first place, but it may not be as effective has throwing stuff.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if the "Progressive Mindset" was to move away from the flying kicks. As people get older, flying kicks become more difficult to do.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not if you are in restaurant or bars. It's obstacles all around you.

You can take that fight outside the bar on to a street that could run for miles if you wanted to.

There is no limit to where your fight has to end.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You can take that fight outside the bar on to a street that could run for miles if you wanted to.

There is no limit to where your fight has to end.

Sometimes it just happens, it's not under your control. Like I said before, the pavement is not even, you might not be able to land as good as in dojo.

For the life of me, I cannot do flying kicks, something about both feet off the ground just doesn't go with me. I can think of much safer kicks that are just as effective if not more. In fact, I believe in less is more, just a simple front kick, round kick to the knee or even more compact kick like step kick in Wing Chung or side kick to the knee in Mauythai is a whole lot more effective, faster and much more compact.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sometimes it just happens, it's not under your control. Like I said before, the pavement is not even, you might not be able to land as good as in dojo.

For the life of me, I cannot do flying kicks, something about both feet off the ground just doesn't go with me. I can think of much safer kicks that are just as effective if not more. In fact, I believe in less is more, just a simple front kick, round kick to the knee or even more compact kick like step kick in Wing Chung or side kick to the knee in Mauythai is a whole lot more effective, faster and much more compact.

Find one example of the kung fu side kick to the knee that someone has used in a street fight.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
For the life of me, I cannot do flying kicks, something about both feet off the ground just doesn't go with me.
When your BJJ opponent lies down on the ground and wait for you to mount on top of him, you just use the flying side kick to fly over him.

Your opponent controls the ground space. You control the air space.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Find one example of the kung fu side kick to the knee that someone has used in a street fight.
It is not kung fu side kick, it's Mauythai. This one looks convincing to me:

this one has Wing Chung step kick:

I am sure these can be used in street fight, more effective and safer for you in street fight.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It is not kung fu side kick, it's Mauythai. This one looks convincing to me:

this one has Wing Chung step kick:

I am sure these can be used in street fight, more effective and safer for you in street fight.

I am sure they can. But you never find an example of them.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I am sure they can. But you never find an example of them.
Doesn't mean they are not effective. If they work well in UFC, it will work on the street.

EDIT:
Could it be the reason you don't see it in street fight because MA school discourage student to attack the opponent's knee? I know my TKD school would not allow us to do it in sparring. We don't practice kicking low, all kicks are waist or above. I never even think about kicking the knee until I saw it on UFC.

For people that never train in MA, they don't know to kick the knee.

You know people are debating whether to outlaw knee kicks in UFC because it's a career ender.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Doesn't mean they are not effective. If they work well in UFC, it will work on the street.

EDIT:
Could it be the reason you don't see it in street fight because MA school discourage student to attack the opponent's knee? I know my TKD school would not allow us to do it in sparring. We don't practice kicking low, all kicks are waist or above. I never even think about kicking the knee until I saw it on UFC.

For people that never train in MA, they don't know to kick the knee.

You know people are debating whether to outlaw knee kicks in UFC because it's a career ender.

Mabye they are too busy being awesome and throwing flying kicks.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Mabye they are too busy being awesome and throwing flying kicks.
I am not sure about that. I for one never really want to learn, not that I am sour grapes, I really think there are more practical kicks for self defense. Like I said, I believe in less-is-more. I spent 3 hours before every class alone in the school using the kicking bag, I spent 1/2 the time only on punching, then the rest half of the time on front kick. So only 1/4 the time on round and side kicks. I truly believe in the most simple technique is the most useful.

For one, I started old, if I stretch out, I can do high side and round kicks, but in real life if I run into situation I have to defend myself, you think I can say.......WAIT, let me stretch out first?!!! So I can only trust the ones I can use cold....... punching and front kick.

I spend time now practicing round kick to the knee and side kick(Mauythai style) to the knee because I don't need to stretch to do that EVEN I am still flexible enough to a certain point even when I am kind of cold:

Stretching 2.jpg

I am so happy to start seeing people using front kicks and drop people in UFC that last few years. For the longest I was wondering was I totally wrong spending most of the effort on front kick even before I injured my back. I am glad UFC shows the effectiveness of front kick........Now, when I say front kick, I do NOT mean front push kick, actually is the snapping type where you use the ball of the foot penetrate into the body. Push kick is a whole hell of a lot easier to do. Here are a few, but I can't find the few I was looking for that drop the opponents with front kick to the body.

Notice these are NOT front push kick:

Last edited:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the life of me, I cannot do flying kicks,
And this is the reason you're convinced they cannot be used effectively. People who can do X effectively can do X effectively. People who cannot, cannot.

Latest Discussions