Do you fear "gassing out" in a fight? How is your fitness?

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
By far, the best cardio I've experienced was from wrestlers. I'm talking about the ground game, they just don't get tired, at least the ones I've encountered.

In stand up, at least stand up where you're allowed to hit, I've found it different. Good shots can really screw up the breathing patterns of anyone, even wrestlers. (Thank, God) But then, that's not really their game.
1663258364944.png

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
There are different paths to victory. If your technique is truly superior, I understand you can win without much physical effort. And you can win quickly. No argument from me on that, for sure! People when in physical confrontations, through superior technique all the time, even though their opponent is much bigger and stronger and more fit than them.

However if you struggle to take control, or take out someone quickly, how is your physical fitness? Do you consider being physically fit in a very important part of your overall martial arts ability?

Do you fear that your physical fitness is not where it should be, and that if the fight becomes a prolonged conflict, you will be in big trouble?

Do you think physical fitness is an extremely important aspect to being prepared overall as a martial artist?
I think it's very important. You cannot just assume a fight will be over in seconds with a couple of punches. If it goes to grappling then staminia is key not just "skill". I've seen fights where it Breaks up & then starts again. Doing a few Kicks in the dojo won't be enough. Cycling, running, swimming...it's as simple as that.

auntlisa1103

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Sorry it’s been a while.

My GM is also fond of saying that if you can run faster scared than your attacker can mad, you will win every time.

It’s also worth noting that if you make yourself that big a problem to pursue, they’ll lose interest. They want fast, simple and quiet. Make it difficult, stay loud, most of the time they’ll leave you alone.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sorry it’s been a while.

My GM is also fond of saying that if you can run faster scared than your attacker can mad, you will win every time.

It’s also worth noting that if you make yourself that big a problem to pursue, they’ll lose interest. They want fast, simple and quiet. Make it difficult, stay loud, most of the time they’ll leave you alone.
What's harder is to try running faster when laughing than your attacker can run mad.

As most of you are well aware I'm a born wise guy. When I was a kid I got a neighbor kid so mad he chased me with a baseball bat. I was laughing so hard, I was barely able to outrun him and he was swinging that bat with all he had.

Guess you could say I literally almost died laughing!

OP
J

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Sorry it’s been a while.

As someone who has won every foot chase I got in, I would say people don't understand the problems associated with trying to outrun someone.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The other question is are you fighting in a manner that requires massive cardio?

A lot of self defense marketing suggests that in the streets being a pressure fighter is cool. But that takes a lot of energy. You need to have that in the tank.

tkdroamer

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The other question is are you fighting in a manner that requires massive cardio?

A lot of self defense marketing suggests that in the streets being a pressure fighter is cool. But that takes a lot of energy. You need to have that in the tank.
Yea, you better really have a great first move to fight that way.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Exactly & people are excited in a real situation, Adrenalin..etc
Fitness is important, IMO
I have a few friends who are/were pro MMA fighters. All are very big dudes, but without a doubt the bigger ones gas out faster just because it takes a lot of gas for big guys to move, and they have to work harder at it IMHO, whereas the smaller dudes have all this energy, not as much power on their feet, but on the ground, oh man. They can wrestle for hours, I've got maybe 10m before I need a break. And I'm reasonably fit (I do a lot of gardening and outdoor heavy lifting as well as strength, cardio) but man it sucks even having an extra 20 lbs.

Lucky for me I'm a middle aged man so all that extra weight kind of finds it way to my abs. A little tanky bod is OK by me. But yeah, daily fitness routine is a must for anybody, but especially martial artists. I'll never understand all these YouTube masters who want to teach me kung fu secrets, but look like they eat BBQ for every meal and never take a walk.

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have a few friends who are/were pro MMA fighters. All are very big dudes, but without a doubt the bigger ones gas out faster just because it takes a lot of gas for big guys to move, and they have to work harder at it IMHO, whereas the smaller dudes have all this energy, not as much power on their feet, but on the ground, oh man. They can wrestle for hours, I've got maybe 10m before I need a break. And I'm reasonably fit (I do a lot of gardening and outdoor heavy lifting as well as strength, cardio) but man it sucks even having an extra 20 lbs.

Lucky for me I'm a middle aged man so all that extra weight kind of finds it way to my abs. A little tanky bod is OK by me. But yeah, daily fitness routine is a must for anybody, but especially martial artists. I'll never understand all these YouTube masters who want to teach me kung fu secrets, but look like they eat BBQ for every meal and never take a walk.
One quote i think is appropriate " Keep Moving " ...

GreenieMeanie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
There are different paths to victory. If your technique is truly superior, I understand you can win without much physical effort. And you can win quickly. No argument from me on that, for sure! People when in physical confrontations, through superior technique all the time, even though their opponent is much bigger and stronger and more fit than them.

However if you struggle to take control, or take out someone quickly, how is your physical fitness? Do you consider being physically fit in a very important part of your overall martial arts ability?

Do you fear that your physical fitness is not where it should be, and that if the fight becomes a prolonged conflict, you will be in big trouble?

Do you think physical fitness is an extremely important aspect to being prepared overall as a martial artist?

Cardio by itself isn't the problem. When you're MMA sparring or doing an RBSD scenario, and you make contact, you get an ungodly adrenaline dump, and all that **** goes out the window.

All the bag training in the world is not a replacement for the stress-inoculation of fighting someone live.

You either need to train a technique to the point you do it subconsciously, or spar and do live scenarios to the point it hardly phases you.

GojuTommy

Black Belt
Reaction score

Self defense situation? No.

Competitive combat sport fight? Yes.

OP
J

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Self defense situation? No.

Competitive combat sport fight? Yes.
I agree with this in general, although there are senarios where cardio is important. Certainly when I was a police officer and had to foot chase someone prior to grappling with them.

Also everyone always talks about running from a fight. But do you have the cardio to not only run, but fight after you run if it comes to that? I think it's an unlikely but possible scenario.

Latest Discussions