Do You Believe We Are Living In Hell?

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know this is a weird question considering it's Good Friday. But here go's.

Do you think this is Hell we are currently living in? Or do you believe this is an "inbetween' where we will either go to Heaven or Hell when we die? Or do you believe something different?

A couple of years ago I was in Las Vegas and was invited to see a psychic show starring Sylvia Browne. Although, I wasn't too impressed with her psychic abilities (based on some of her answers to the individuals in the crowd) I was entertained. It was thought provoking.

She mentioned something during the show that I immediately dismissed as BS. She said that we are currently living in Hell. This is Hell, and when you die you will either go to Heaven or you will stay in this world (Hell) and hover around endlessly as a disturbed spirit.

Recently, with an event that took place in my life, I've been thinking about her words alot. Maybe there is something to what she said. Maybe this is Hell. So many questions and so few answers.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure this topic has been covered by theologians ever since the concept of hell (as a final stop after death) was introduced.

As to my thiughts; no, I don't think so. Christian hell is described as existence in the absence of God (read: Hope) and there is plenty of hope all around us, even if you have to look hard. We have the opportunity, every split-second, to create a new future for ourselves. If this is not hope, then I am mightily wrong.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
Everyone knows Hell is Detroit. So unless you live in Detroit, no. ;)

Sylvia Browne is a known fraud. Pay no attention to anything she says.

As for the concept, humans have the capability to work together to make everyone's life better. People have better, longer lives then they did in the past. Doesn't sound much like any Hell I've ever heard about.

OP
Tames D

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
People have better, longer lives then they did in the past. Doesn't sound much like any Hell I've ever heard about.

Not everyone has a better life. And regarding longer life, isn't life in hell... looong. lol.

OP
Tames D

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sylvia Browne is a known fraud. Pay no attention to anything she says.

I heard that about her too. But what is that quote..."even a broken clock is right twice a day". Her words just gave me alot to think about.

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Of course, for those of us who don't believe in hell, what does this make this place?

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Of course, for those of us who don't believe in hell, what does this make this place?

All there is. So break out the booze, and have a ball. 'Cause that's all there is.

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial][SIZE=-1]IS THAT ALL THERE IS?
Peggy Lee

SPOKEN:
I remember when I was a very little girl, our house caught on fire.
I'll never forget the look on my father's face as he gathered me up
in his arms and raced through the burning building out to the pavement.
I stood there shivering in my pajamas and watched the whole world go up in flames.
And when it was all over I said to myself, "Is that all there is to a fire"

SUNG:
Is that all there is, is that all there is
If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
Let's break out the booze and have a ball
If that's all there is

SPOKEN:
And when I was 12 years old, my father took me to a circus, the greatest show on earth.
There were clowns and elephants and dancing bears.
And a beautiful lady in pink tights flew high above our heads.
And so I sat there watching the marvelous spectacle.
I had the feeling that something was missing.
I don't know what, but when it was over,
I said to myself, "is that all there is to a circus?

SUNG:
If that's all there is

SPOKEN:
Then I fell in love, head over heels in love, with the most wonderful boy in the world.
We would take long walks by the river or just sit for hours gazing into each other's eyes.
We were so very much in love.
Then one day he went away and I thought I'd die, but I didn't,
and when I didn't I said to myself, "is that all there is to love?"

SUNG:

SPOKEN:
I know what you must be saying to yourselves,
if that's the way she feels about it why doesn't she just end it all?
Oh, no, not me. I'm in no hurry for that final disappointment,
for I know just as well as I'm standing here talking to you,
when that final moment comes and I'm breathing my lst breath, I'll be saying to myself

SUNG:
If that's all there is[/SIZE][/FONT]

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I sure have been successfull at creating hell for myself.

People value what you got! Be thankfull all the time-Don't be stupid haughty or too silly about life. Otherwise, you will find yourself in hell too. This is the word of the fool.

j

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
If we were in Hell, we would have no capacity to make our lives and those of others better. A good part of our daily experience is what we make it.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Depends on if you believe in the christian concept of hell. I don't so hell's more of a catch all term for really terrable places that I hate, like New Jersey and Rhode Island.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wow, what a question. :asian: I apologize if what I am writing is way too long. :D

As Christianity spread throughout the world, it gradually adopted concepts that the local people believed. One of the best examples is the holiday that is coming up on Sunday. In Spanish-speaking countries, it is Pascua de Resurreccion (Feast of the Resurrection). But in countries that speak English and German, the name is taken from the Germanic fertility goddess Oestra (Ostara, Eostere, etc.), who was honored around the time of the vernal equinox. Not all concepts were incorporated in to Christianity. Example: Christians (and Westerners in general) generally do not believe in reincarnation.

God and Satan, Heaven and Hell...the concept of a duality in the ethereal goes back to the ancient Zoroastrians who predated the Christians by several centuries. The concepts probably had their influence on Christianity as the early Christians spread through the Persia.

The philosophy of "Hell is the mortal world, and Heaven is where we go when we die" is essentially the result of adding the Zoroastrian-esque duality of Heaven and Hell to the belief of reincarnation. Many religions that believe in reincarnation believe in a cycle of births and deaths, and when one becomes human, that is the chance to break the cycle and merge the soul with God. Scripture from Sikhism and Hinduism mentions Chaurasi Lakh Joon Upai, or 8,400,000 lifetimes. This incapsulates and old Vedic concept of there being 8,400,000 possible lifeforms, and that one must (or one may) go through them all before receiving the chance to break the mortal circle and become eternal with God.

So....are we living in Hell? I don't know. I don't see it that way. I remember at a particularly low point in my life, I was sitting with a Zoroastrian friend who was an asylee from Iran. She said "Life is like a zebra" meaning it has black and white stripes...or bad parts and good parts. The good parts are never permanent, but neither ar the bad.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It shouldn’t come as any surprise to anyone, but I don’t believe in hell or heaven. Half of the world’s population is from non-abrahamic religions, are they all incorrect in their beliefs?

That being said, it doesn’t really matter.

The world is filled with many wondrous things to experience, either created by a god, or gods or whatever. The spring air, a breeze rustling through the canopy of a forest, children laughing and running in a play ground, your child calling you Daddy, someone telling you that they love you, bread or cookies baking, a sun rise, a spring rain in the mountains, you get the idea. Yes there is poverty, yes there is misery, yes there is disease and death, but life by itself is a wonderful trip to take.

No this isn’t hell, but if you work it right, it can be as close to heaven as you will ever get.

72ronin

Purple Belt
Reaction score
"Are we living in Hell"

What the..
Take a walk through nature some time, do you really think that such extreme belief systems are relevant to the nature/planet/solar system/universe etc etc

For egsample, take the human species out of the equation right now... You see? We have a tendency to take ourselves way too seriously is all :)

SensibleManiac

Black Belt
Reaction score
Here is a zen story:

Once a soldier called Nobushige came to Haukin and enquired : " Is there really a heaven and a hell?"

"Who are you?"asked Hakuin.

The soldier replied : "I am a Samurai"

"You, a soldier?!" exclaimed Hakuin. "What kind of ruler would have you as his guard? Your face looks like that of a beggar !"

Nobushige's anger knew no bounds that he began to draw his sword.

Haukin then said : " So you have a sword ! But your weapon is too dull to cut off my head "

Nobushige now actually drew his sword.

Hakuin then remarked: "Here open the gates of hell!"

Hearing the master's words the Samurai, perceiving his discipline, placed his sword back into the sheath bowed and said, "I understand."

"Here open the gates of heaven," said Hakuin.

These are actually very simple perceptions, this world can be both heaven and hell, in the end it's up to you and a little luck to make it what you want.

Also, just read the bottom of my signature for the path to creating some heaven.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Depends on if you believe in the christian concept of hell. I don't so hell's more of a catch all term for really terrable places that I hate, like New Jersey and Rhode Island.

Wait a minute.... Hell is New Jersey? I wouldn't think they'd make it so obvious...

Latest Discussions