Distance Learning (Shorite Ryu Tai Jutsu and ICKA Kenpo).

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Anyone have any experience with this style? The current Black Belt has an article on it as well as a large ad for its distance learning program. The ad definitely seems to be pushing the idea that one can learn this "complex" art, based on Chin-na, by video. (See http://www.victorioushands.com/ for more info.) I am of course somewhat suspect.

Apparently the founder is Dr. Christian Harfouche, who considers the art "an evangelistic tool" of his International Christian Karate Association.

Black Belt seems to be getting worse and worse about tie-ins between its ads and the articles. This article and the one for ICKA Kenpo (I think it's a coincidence that the acronyms are the same), also strongly pushing video testing and hailing its many benefits, seemed guilty of that. The Kenpo article, on Chuck Sullivan and Vic LeRoux, included highlighted boxes on how great video learning and testing are. This is in the article not the ad. (See http://www.karateconnection.com/ for more info.) I suspect not everyone would even agree with their definition of the art:

It makes it sound as if Ed Parker only brought the art here and publicized it, as Robert Trias did. Mr. Trias made great contributions and I don't mean to slight them, but Mr. Parker modified and codified what he was taught, hence the name change.

Distance learning for specific college courses and degrees= Yes.
Distance learning for certain computer stuff = Yes.
Distance learning for CEUs in teaching, medical = Yes.
Distance learning to become a Doctor (MD and OMD)= I don't think so, If you want to have surviving patients.
Distance learning for martial arts = No, Nope, Never.

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Xue Sheng said:
Distance learning for specific college courses and degrees= Yes.
Distance learning for certain computer stuff = Yes.
Distance learning for CEUs in teaching, medical = Yes.
Distance learning to become a Doctor (MD and OMD)= I don't think so, If you want to have surviving patients.
Distance learning for martial arts = No, Nope, Never.

Which brings up another discussion entirely... absolutes. Words like "never" and "always" get used far too frequently and are indicators of a closed mind. I respect a person's choice to "never" do something, but am more often than not baffled by the mindset that such a term represents.

Before I wander too far off topic, the argument of "Video vs in-person" has been done to death a thousand times and it will die a thousand more deaths before it is decided that nothing was decided. The original intent, I think, was to gain insight on these two systems of video based instruction and, more recently developed to see who all has been telemarketed to...

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
stone_dragone said:
Which brings up another discussion entirely... absolutes. Words like "never" and "always" get used far too frequently and are indicators of a closed mind. I respect a person's choice to "never" do something, but am more often than not baffled by the mindset that such a term represents.

Before I wander too far off topic, the argument of "Video vs in-person" has been done to death a thousand times and it will die a thousand more deaths before it is decided that nothing was decided. The original intent, I think, was to gain insight on these two systems of video based instruction and, more recently developed to see who all has been telemarketed to...

Would you have preferred, "not a good idea"

Learning from a video is possible, but that is not what I call distance learning, but gaining depth from a video is not as easy. Train jujitsu via video would seem to me not to be a good idea and possibly dangerous.

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I can't disagree with you there. One of the pitfalls commonly stated regarding video/distance learning programs is the assumptionm that there is no flesh-on-flesh contact...you have to have a warm body to train with, but that is true with the IKCA as well. You can't train and test without having a training partner or partners.

I will say that if there is a good school within reasonable travel distance, then that would be preferable to only doing video training.

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A video can only show the most outward aspects of a given art. The subtlties have to be learned from an instructor. Getting the proper "feel" for concepts like timing and rhythm require a teacher...

And a video cannot affect one's "spirit" as can a good teacher.

Latest Discussions