Mormon Martial Arts, Part II: Martial Arts Adapted

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
While learning the art of Kenpo, Parker would incorporate street fighting techniques he had learned on the mean streets of Honolulu that would make the traditionalist system more practical. He also incorporated Mormon doctrine into his own system. He was particularly impressed by Christ's use of parables to further his religious doctrine

"Wow," he said to himself. "Is it possible that I could do the same with kenpo that Christ did with the teachings of the scriptures?"

It was this melding of religious ideology (both straight Christian and Mormon) with classical martial arts techniques that would produce a fighting system that would push past the daunting oriental formalism and create something that would appeal to pragmatic westerners. Ed Parker broke away from static martial arts and tailored training to the individual.
http://www.newwest.net/index.php/main/article/6559/

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Guess I'm curious as to how modeling a teaching technique used, successfully by a little known carpenter in the middle east can be construed as incorporating Christian/LDS into Kenpo?

Methinks this is another one of those mountains out of a molehill that really only matters to people who have little of nothing to do with themselves.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sigung86 said:
Guess I'm curious as to how modeling a teaching technique used, successfully by a little known carpenter in the middle east can be construed as incorporating Christian/LDS into Kenpo?

Methinks this is another one of those mountains out of a molehill that really only matters to people who have little of nothing to do with themselves.

I agree with you. The concept of using analogies is always good in whatever profession, and the idea as a teaching tool certainly did not originate with the carpenter. There are several philosophers/thinkers throughout history who did so.

As had been said in another thread on Part I of this same subject, I agree that Mr. Parker is a Kenpoist who happened to be LDS. He could just as easily have met with Mr. Chow elsewhere and had the same conversation. Had Mr. Parker been of any other faith, I believe Mr. Parker would probably still have an interest with the martial arts, and continued to become the "Father of American Kenpo".

Basically, I think it is generally a waste of time (although an interesting mental exercise for some) to wonder what would have happened if a certain circumstance/background was different.

- Ceicei

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Ceicei said:
I agree with you. The concept of using analogies is always good in whatever profession, and the idea as a teaching tool certainly did not originate with the carpenter. There are several philosophers/thinkers throughout history who did so.

As had been said in another thread on Part I of this same subject, I agree that Mr. Parker is a Kenpoist who happened to be LDS. He could just as easily have met with Mr. Chow elsewhere and had the same conversation. Had Mr. Parker been of any other faith, I believe Mr. Parker would probably still have an interest with the martial arts, and continued to become the "Father of American Kenpo".

Basically, I think it is generally a waste of time (although an interesting mental exercise for some) to wonder what would have happened if a certain circumstance/background was different.

- Ceicei

Hey Ceicei!

Please see my post elsewhere (the other part one of this one) whereby I provide secret insights into the fact that the American Kenpo you really know and love is, in fact, A Lutheran oriented system. :whip:

:lol::lol::lol: