Distance Learning and Associations

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I suspect that part of the reason some see video training as an acceptable substitute for real training is because they have viewed (or made) such material as trained martial artists themselves. They would know how to stand, step, balance, breathe, etc. They don't stop to think the beginner won't.

I also think that a lot of martial arts training is bad to begin with. It's scary how horrible a lot of so-called martial artists are who claim advanced titles and teach. Of course they would have no problems with bad training from videos, their own work is no better.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Something else a good instructor can do for you is to adjust techniques to fit you, it may only be a slight adjustment of where you put your hands or where you place your feet. This is something else a video can't do for you. I've been on seminars with good instructors such as Iain Abernethy and Rosi Sexton. The people at these seminars are experienced martial artists not beginners but often Iain will suggest doing something a little different to make it work better for you, he's seen your size, strength etc and judged that a change in technique is beneficial. It may be something as simple as moving your hand a few inches from what is considered 'normal' but the difference will be satisfying good. It could be something like being left handed and being shown a different grip.
Rosi often has seminars for women only in which she teaches techniques that work better for smaller frames, she has done seminars for smaller people too. I've found them to be hugely helpful. I've seen techniques on BJJ videos showing clearly how to do a technique yet I haven't been able to, Rosi tweaked them so that I can. A video isn't going to do this. The one size fits all videos cannot match this instruction and often you will end up hurting yourself because not only are you doing a technique wrongly, the technique itself is wrong for you. It may cost you money to train like this or to have a one to one with a good instructor but it is more than worth it. It's not always about teaching basic techniques and you practising them on your own, it's about getting the best out of your practice by being the best you can.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Pure distance learning is a terrible idea.

As has been mentioned, only an experienced person could get some benefit from this kind of thing, and I condition that by saying it also depends greatly on how much, and what kind of experience he has.

But the kicker is this: that experienced person has no need for it. Zero. He already has what he needs, this kind of program will not give him anything he needs.

So the guy who could make it work is the guy who has no need for it. And the guy who might have a need for it lacks the background to make it work. It's worthless.
Some people will debate this to death, and it's easy to get drawn into it. I'll just say that I stand by my earlier comments. End of discussion for me.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think any of you guys with twenty years experience could look at any video and know whether it was good or not. (not that you would watch in the first place.)

I think any of you here with twenty years experience could look at any video and if you saw something that tweaked your curiosity could take it to your dojo, play with it and probably learn from it. (not that you would, mind you.)

In 1979 Ray Leonard fought Andy Price. Long before the world wide web and before VCRs (at least in our little world) We used to film fights on TV with an old fashioned movie camera, get the film developed, set up a big screen (or use a white wall) and study the hell out of it in slow motion. We had been boxing for almost ten years at that point and had had a lot of good instruction.

Twenty years later I met Ray and trained with him for several months. On the first day we met he was talking about combinations with some fellas from the gym and I spoke up "Favorite combination I ever saw you throw was against Andy Price."

It ended the fight.

Then I threw it, which I had done a zillion times by then. He laughed and said, "How the hell do you know that?"
So I told him the story.

We worked combos almost every day after that. But I had been working variations of that very combo forever.

My point is - if you can't learn from film, you probably aren't a visual learner. But if you are a visual learner WITH EXPERIENCE, I think you're missing a valuable resource. Especially if it's free.

MartialMasters

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I also like thinking about the modern practice of HEMA, which has grown amazingly in the past few decades. That's one of the great success stories of distance learning in the whole history of Martial Arts. All the old manuscripts by old masters have been tirelessly getting played with, reconstructed, and studied by thousands of truly amazing people...(and sadly, several dingbats, too...I'll admit!).

There are many subtle and far-reaching reasons why having actual physical documentation/materials from masters is a good thing (and not just for historic preservation!). For students, the skills developed (critical thinking, etc.) while learning how to study and evaluate books/videos etc. is of great value, too.

I stand by my belief that instruction from an amazing master/trainer is the best thing a student could have. I don't think anybody will disagree with that. But I also stand by my conviction that much can be gained from an amazing master/trainer even if you're not able to get one-on-one time with them. Not really much more I can say about it, really!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also like thinking about the modern practice of HEMA, which has grown amazingly in the past few decades. That's one of the great success stories of distance learning in the whole history of Martial Arts. All the old manuscripts by old masters have been tirelessly getting played with, reconstructed, and studied by thousands of truly amazing people...(and sadly, several dingbats, too...I'll admit!).

There are many subtle and far-reaching reasons why having actual physical documentation/materials from masters is a good thing (and not just for historic preservation!). For students, the skills developed (critical thinking, etc.) while learning how to study and evaluate books/videos etc. is of great value, too.

I stand by my belief that instruction from an amazing master/trainer is the best thing a student could have. I don't think anybody will disagree with that. But I also stand by my conviction that much can be gained from an amazing master/trainer even if you're not able to get one-on-one time with them. Not really much more I can say about it, really!

I can't say I agree with you, I'm still not convinced that videos are that useful, but I do appreciate what you have written, well thought out and non ranting, that's always good lol! :) A pleasure to read even if we don't agree totally.

Latest Discussions