The "Bjj Mentality"

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I started a new thread here so that the other thread wouldn't be closed.

for starters that's pretty rude it's his school he can say what he wants in his school who am I to tell him he can't.

Well, just ask him. Some Bjj instructors don't mind a little challenge match. Make it playful so it's not taken personally. That way if you beat him with just Goju Ryu (or whatever karate you practiced) he'll stop bad-mouthing Karate and making you feel uncomfortable.

2nd it doesn't bother me it was just an example of the BJJ mentality

Would you be willing to explain this "Bjj mentality" to me Ballen? I read some of the discussion between you and Tony, and you seem to believe that Bjj practitioners in particular have an attitude that Bjj works and nothing else.

Just to clarify my stance, (since I was mentioned multiple times in that thread); There are martial arts that I think are (to be kind) a joke. However, I would never consider them "useless" or not worth experiencing. Further, I don't think Bjj is the only MA on the planet worth taking. There's several other MAs around that I would gladly participate in if I had the time.

Do you (or others) feel that these are examples of "The Bjj mentality"?

^^ Convo about other arts begins at the 32:00 mark^^

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sometimes it's wise not to take the bait.

Oh, yeah, like we're ever wise around here about bait.

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hey, I wasn't trying to bait anyone. t just thought that Ballen had a pretty serious concern. He thinks there's a "Bjj mafia" on this forum, and that Bjj types have a universal mentality, including his Bjj teacher. Just trying to get to the root of his beliefs, and see if anyone else shares them. :)

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Lol... I wasn't thinking just you, hanzou, :). You're baiting ballen and he's baiting you.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hey, I wasn't trying to bait anyone. t just thought that Ballen had a pretty serious concern.
Not that serious 90% of the stuff I post about BJJ is tongue and cheek or trolling you BJJ mafia guys

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think you will get called out on being wrong a lot quicker in a martial art like bjj. Than some of the stuffier styles.

So there potentially is a bjj mentally. I know there certainly is a mma one.

I have no issue critiquing my coach if I feel I need to.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think you will get called out on being wrong a lot quicker in a martial art like bjj. Than some of the stuffier styles.

So there potentially is a bjj mentally. I know there certainly is a mma one.

I have no issue critiquing my coach if I feel I need to.
I think it may also come down to the Brazilian culture has a slight bravado in general. I mean when you have a guy live tweeting him assaulting two guys asking for a cigarette on a public street its only natural for that to rub off on students attitude.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think it may also come down to the Brazilian culture has a slight bravado in general. I mean when you have a guy live tweeting him assaulting two guys asking for a cigarette on a public street its only natural for that to rub off on students attitude.

Can't take yourself too seriously.

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think a lot of BJJ folks have the mentality of being ready to roll with anyone at any time. There's no waiting until some tournament or for a referee or oh, we have to spar light because we don't have any protective gear. The biggest problem is just running out of room/coffee table corners. I don't consider myself an aggressive person, not even in the slightest, yet through BJJ I'm just about always willing to grapple with anyone. If I win, cool, and if I lose, cool, because then I usually ask them questions about what they just did (unless it's painfully obvious).

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Honestly, I'm not sure how much of that is Brazilian culture in general and how much is the Gracie family in particular. I know that Brazil has a lot of violence and a macho culture, but even there the Gracie family has gathered its share of criticism over the years for some of their antics.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Lol... I wasn't thinking just you, hanzou, :). You're baiting ballen and he's baiting you.

I've often been considered a master at baiting people. Or so I've been told numerous times.

They always called me a blankety, blank Master Baiter.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Honestly, I'm not sure how much of that is Brazilian culture in general and how much is the Gracie family in particular. I know that Brazil has a lot of violence and a macho culture, but even there the Gracie family has gathered its share of criticism over the years for some of their antics.
probably little of both. I've been to Brazil when I was in the Marine Corps trained with their Army they were definitely more umm macho then other countries I trained with

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm just about always willing to grapple with anyone. If I win, cool, and if I lose, cool, ...
This is the BJJ mentality, "If you train MA, let's play and have fun". The BJJ has advantage over boxing or MT because you don't need to take the risk to be punched or kicked on the head. The BJJ also has advantage over wrestling and Judo because you don't need to take the risk to be thrown down hard on the ground. IMO, there exist no other MA system that can give you such "safe test environment" like BJJ can give you.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The BJJ has advantage over boxing or MT because you don't need to take the risk to be punched or kicked on the head. The BJJ also has advantage over wrestling and Judo because you don't need to take the risk to be thrown down hard on the ground. IMO, there exist no other MA system that can give you such "safe test environment" like BJJ can give you.
This can be a mixed blessing. On the one hand, BJJ practitioners can excel in their area of specialty (ground grappling) because of that "safe* test environment". On the other hand, we can fall into the trap of neglecting our training in those areas (striking and takedowns) which require us to venture outside that safe zone.

*(For certain values of "safe". Just about all of us accumulate some injuries along the way.)

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I've often been considered a master at baiting people. Or so I've been told numerous times.

They always called me a blankety, blank Master Baiter.

Being a Master Baiter can only come with decades of experience. I am but a youngling on the path.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've only been to a couple of BJJ schools and only trained for any length of time in one of them. One of the things I noticed was that none of the BJJ instructors ever spoke poorly of any other Martial Art, even when an obvious opening was presented. And I had many conversations about other forms of fighting with these guys.

Now, about other factions of BJJ, that was sometimes a different story, but those they spoke of - appeared to have a history together.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I did notice it during my years in capoeira, so it's not just the Gracies. Kinda put me off Brazilians, to be honest. Very tiresome.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The BJJ practitioner's that I work with every week and have worked with in the past have always been relaxed, cool and open minded! Usually it is the more inexperienced BJJ people or someone who really doesn't train that much that goes into the BJJ is the "end all be all of martial arts". (pretty common in most martial systems) Or they simply have never experienced anything else and BJJ defines their martial experience. The more experienced BJJ practitioner's are usually confident but realistic! They know they practice one of the world's great grappling systems but also understand that it doesn't have all the answers for combative skill sets.

Latest Discussions