Disrespectful Students

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It does not sound like a McDojo to me.

A 2nd chances had been given after the student had been asked to leave previously (due to gang activity). The teacher gave him a 2nd chance in good faith. It does not sound like a McDojo to me, nor would a McDojo instructor take the time to bring this issue to us for support.

-MB

kenposikh

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for your input their Mr Billings.

It sounds as though the guy just couldn't hack it

kevin kilroe

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thank you Mr. Billings for clearing things up. We try very hard to get to know our students. I taught the young man in question for a good while and while he did have an underlying cockiness at times he was not disrespectful in my class ever. People should not make assumptions about a school or an instructor without knowing all the facts. I appreciate your support.

Full Salute

Kevin Kilroe

kenposikh

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by kevin kilroe
Thank you Mr. Billings for clearing things up. We try very hard to get to know our students. I taught the young man in question for a good while and while he did have an underlying cockiness at times he was not disrespectful in my class ever. People should not make assumptions about a school or an instructor without knowing all the facts. I appreciate your support.

Full Salute

Kevin Kilroe

Dear Kevin,

I am sorry if any of my posts offended you in any way. As you can see if they are re read that I did not imply that your studio was a Mcdojo, just questioning if there were any signs prior to the event. THis has now been cleared up in my mind and therefore all I can say is that I hope I don't experience anything like this, if I did the student would certainly be ejected and refused any training as my time is precious.

kevin kilroe

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Kenposikh,

No offense taken. I guess you can say to a certain degree it is a Mcdojo in the sense that the owner (which isnt me) is trying to pay the bills and feed his family. Giving the people what they want isnt always the most satisfying thing but I guess its necessary. Im glad that teaching is enjoyable for me and I dont have to worry about the financial end of things. My hat goes off to the successful martial arts school owners. From what I have seen, it aint easy. I just do the best job I know how to do and hopefully instill some of the values that the martial arts have to offer people. I can show them what to do and how to do it but I cant make them do it. That part is up to them. Hopefully if push comes to shove they will be able to defend themselves or their loved ones.

Much respect,

Kevin Kilroe

kenposikh

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Kevin,

I know what you mean teaching is such a rewarding practice for me. However the nerves don't half kick in when my kids are in front of a grading panel.

You know what I mean the week before they know everything well, the week of the grading and they can't remeber a simple basic, but on grading day they usually always perform like brilliant kenpoists and make me so proud.

It's like being a nervous parent of 50 children you feel for all of them.

Latest Discussions