something stupid... very stupid

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Last night at kenpo class my sensei told me a bad thing that happened to his instructor, a 19 years old brown belt.

Sensei told me some days ago his instructor went to a local bar with some friends and have some drinks.... well a little more than a some drinks. When living the place some scumbag trowed an ice cube to a friend of the instructor so he went to the scumbag in a very stupid way to fight him.

The scumbag smashed his glass in the face on the kenpoist and cutt him very bad in the face and then the friends of the SOB kicked the instructors in the floor visiously.

The instructor gott 45 stiches on his face and he is recovering from his injuries at home.

I was amazed cause I Know the instructor and yes he's a nice kid maybe a little loquiacius but he's not a bad person.

This is a real story we must learn about it, MA and alcohol does not mix.

Manny

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score

I'll go a step further and say that drinking to inebriation is never a good idea. The thing about MA is, if you're concerned enough about your safety to invest such an amount of time, money, and energy to learning how to defend yourself, why would you deliberately put yourself in a situation where you have limited control of your faculties?

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'll go a step further and say that drinking to inebriation is never a good idea. The thing about MA is, if you're concerned enough about your safety to invest such an amount of time, money, and energy to learning how to defend yourself, why would you deliberately put yourself in a situation where you have limited control of your faculties?

Wise words sir.

Manny

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Mickey Spillane in one of his Mike Hammer novels called "The Girl Hunters" once said, "Judo and Karate are fine as long as everything is going your way, but a good right-cross can wipe out all of that if it gets there first."

The problem that many martial artists have is not understanding that techniques are expressions of concepts, they are not the concepts themselves. Thundering Hammers (or whatever) isn't going to help you when someone attacks you with a beer mug etc. Brown belts don't often get that because they're still too busy learning the techniques to get to black belt. they're used to playing by the dojo rules and haven't learned to adjust to reality when someone isn't following those rules.

This fellow was damn lucky that it wasn't someone that preferred just stabbing him with a knife.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sure it is. That's part of what it's for. Just do like I do:

Do it at home/

You could fall down the stairs and your judo won't help you then, fella. You know why? Because you're besotted! My God man, just look at yourself.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could fall down the stairs and your judo won't help you then, fella. You know why? Because you're besotted! My God man, just look at yourself.

No stairs in my home....:lol: (Gotta watch that barbecue grill, though-never mind the guns...)

Actually, I've stumbled with three or four drinks in me (not because I was drunk-because I'm a congenital klutz! :lol: ), and the ukemi made it painless, and rather comical from the floor...:lol:

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
No stairs in my home....:lol: (Gotta watch that barbecue grill, though-never mind the guns...)

Actually, I've stumbled with three or four drinks in me (not because I was drunk-because I'm a congenital klutz! :lol: ), and the ukemi made it painless, and rather comical from the floor...:lol:

heh, you and me both. I tell my training partner that if my techniques don't work I'll probably still kill my attacker through sheer clumsiness.

mwd0818

Green Belt
Reaction score
Running joke in my old school among the instructors:

Stub a toe, walk into a chair, slip on ice outside, etc.

"Good thing I'm a Black Belt . . . that could have killed a lesser man . . . "

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yep. You have no idea how many bullets have bounced off of my chest. Brown belts should never attempt it though.

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yep. You have no idea how many bullets have bounced off of my chest. Brown belts should never attempt it though.

LOL I love it.

I call it the Marine syndrome. They come out of training thinking they are ten feet tall and bulletproof. This is because the training is good and they believe in it, there self esteem is good because they have been built up. Then they get in a bar fight and realize their limitations. While this is not true for all it is common. And it is common for martial artists too. ;)

suicide

Black Belt
Reaction score
Last night at kenpo class my sensei told me a bad thing that happened to his instructor, a 19 years old brown belt.

Sensei told me some days ago his instructor went to a local bar with some friends and have some drinks.... well a little more than a some drinks. When living the place some scumbag trowed an ice cube to a friend of the instructor so he went to the scumbag in a very stupid way to fight him.

The scumbag smashed his glass in the face on the kenpoist and cutt him very bad in the face and then the friends of the SOB kicked the instructors in the floor visiously.

The instructor gott 45 stiches on his face and he is recovering from his injuries at home.

I was amazed cause I Know the instructor and yes he's a nice kid maybe a little loquiacius but he's not a bad person.

Manny

he must look old or something or just carry a fake i.d. ( Mclovin 25 year old organ doner from hawaii ) hes 19 in a bar drinking and not thinking : THIS IS A MANS WORLD / would the guy that smashed a glass on his head happen to be a - HELLS ANGEL biker ?

is your instructors brown belt gonna go back to that bar when he heals up ? he should of did sword of destruction , them yellow belt techs are the ones that count sometimes %-}

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
he must look old or something or just carry a fake i.d. ( Mclovin 25 year old organ doner from hawaii ) hes 19 in a bar drinking and not thinking : THIS IS A MANS WORLD / would the guy that smashed a glass on his head happen to be a - HELLS ANGEL biker ?

is your instructors brown belt gonna go back to that bar when he heals up ? he should of did sword of destruction , them yellow belt techs are the ones that count sometimes %-}

In case you never noticed, Manny is in Mexico. Contrary to the provincial views of many, the laws of the US do not apply to the rest of the world.

It's sad that this young man got so badly injured. It likely could have been avoided had clearer heads prevailed. Unfortunately, clear heads and and large amounts of alcohol rarely seem to coexist. :(

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score

In my country 18 years is a legal to drink, below 18 you are a minor, but with 18 years and a ID to confirm it you can enter to a bar nad have drinks.

The guy is a nice guy I have to admit it but maybe the alcohol makes him feel like Van Dame... who knows?

Don't know if the guy is going back to the bar when heal of the injuries but I think he has a lot of to think of about kenpo and making his black belt examination.

And yes, the simpler the tech is the faster to aply in the real world, intrincate or too elaborate techs some times sucks in the real world.

Manny

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
So, your Sensei's teacher is a 19 year old brown belt?

Manny, if I misunderstood what you meant please correct me, I don't want to speak for you.

But I do believe the implication was that the 19 y/o is a teacher/assistant teacher under his Sensei.

Keep in mind that Manny is ESL and English is a ridiculously hard language to grasp. I think he does a good job and sometimes I forget it's not his first language!

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah it took me a while to figure out the who was whom's teacher thing too.

Last edited:

mwd0818

Green Belt
Reaction score
I speak (roughly) Spanish and didn't have a problem picking up what Manny meant, but looking back, I can see the confusion.

Spanish is a much simpler language, except for the subjunctive that English all but eliminated in the last 300 years. . . :)

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Manny, if I misunderstood what you meant please correct me, I don't want to speak for you.

But I do believe the implication was that the 19 y/o is a teacher/assistant teacher under his Sensei.

Keep in mind that Manny is ESL and English is a ridiculously hard language to grasp. I think he does a good job and sometimes I forget it's not his first language!

Yeah, I'm just trying to make sure I am reading everything right.

dianhsuhe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I thought that as well...LOL

I was going to ask about the Brown Belt being a Sensei's instructor but did not want to go there.

Jamey