Disabled--looking to practice

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
That is frankly, completely unrealistic.
How? Your at a lower height than most would be so you have direct access to the groin and solar plexas, they have to adjust their height more to get to you...plus they're in a wheel chair...hence...wheels go forward and your on your opponents foot. No it's not easy but it's absolutely not unrealistic

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Realistically, you should be thinking firearms for self defence. It's unlikely that any amount of training would allow you to overcome a fully functional attacker.
Are firearms an option where he lives?

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
What is possible is not necessarily what is probable. And no, a person who shoots an attacker is not going to be in deep #$% themselves, as long as they followed the law when doing so.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Realistically, you should be thinking firearms for self defence. It's unlikely that any amount of training would allow you to overcome a fully functional attacker.

You are making 2 very big assumptions in all of this. Firstly you assume that the OP lives in an area where guns are both legal and accessible, and secondly you are assuming that they are comfortable handling and carrying a gun. Now, you may think that guns are the best option but not everyone thinks the same and there are a lot of people who are horrified by the thought of using a gun, in self-defence or otherwise.

Please be a bit more respectful in future, and actually take the time to read a post before you respond to it. Thanks

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
You are making 2 very big assumptions in all of this. Firstly you assume that the OP lives in an area where guns are both legal and accessible, and secondly you are assuming that they are comfortable handling and carrying a gun. Now, you may think that guns are the best option but not everyone thinks the same and there are a lot of people who are horrified by the thought of using a gun, in self-defence or otherwise.

Please be a bit more respectful in future, and actually take the time to read a post before you respond to it. Thanks
Agreed also the fact it's not all about the defence side. The op literally said it's more about fitness....so I don't see how saying...use a gun is any help what so ever

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score

I did read the post, and that was my honest evaluation. That you don't like firearms is neither here nor there.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm looking at them more as fitness routines than straight defense simply because, as someone with poor balance and footwork, the odds of successfully using these techniques to win a confrontation are realistically, not high for me (probably, what do I know?)

If your goal is more about fitness and staying active, and your challenge is balance and footwork, I'd recommend you try Tai Chi. That should help you improve in those areas.

OP
J

jstacy1228

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
As someone has said bjj can be used for disabled people. Hell at my place there's a guy with only 1 arm and 1 leg. He uses a fake leg to walk and takes it off for training and he's a blue belt who recently completed a 12 hour grappling session for charity and he's a taekwondo black belt. Best thing to do is talk to your doctor and talk to an instructor

Thank you for sharing that story, things like that really inspire me on bad days.

Thanks to everyone else who has replied thus far. I will try to reply to each individually as time permits. Thank you.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing that story, things like that really inspire me on bad days.

Thanks to everyone else who has replied thus far. I will try to reply to each individually as time permits. Thank you.
No problem here's a news article about it if you want more details. The guy also got his blue belt straight after the event and recently won the gold medal in the Para Jiu Jitsu world championships. So even though yeah disability can be a set back there's still no reason why you can't do just as much as anyone else.

Don't listen to the nonsense saying you won't be able to defend yourself without a gun. You may have to work harder but hey working hard is never a bad thing.

Amputee set for challenge – at jiu jitsu « Jersey Evening Post

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Firearms and Filipino Martial Arts would be my recommendation for the self-defense aspect of things. Use of a weapon is the great equalizer, particularly for someone in your situation.

No, cowards are those that would victimize a disabled person. A firearm is the obvious equalizer.

The Op has already posted up that he feels he doesn't want to use weapons before either of you posted.

It's also none too friendly to start arguing on this person's thread. We should be looking to help not argue agendas.
I know of several military people who have lost limbs in war who practice martial arts as well as other sports.

Jstacy these are British sites ( the second link has photos and the logo of an American cane site though) but may well be able to give you more information and support, we don't do guns much here so it doesn't include them. Adaptive Martial Arts UK & Ireland
Britannia Hero's Inclusive Martial Arts

OP
J

jstacy1228

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The Op has already posted up that he feels he doesn't want to use weapons before either of you posted.

It's also none too friendly to start arguing on this person's thread. We should be looking to help not argue agendas.
I know of several military people who have lost limbs in war who practice martial arts as well as other sports.

Jstacy these are British sites ( the second link has photos and the logo of an American cane site though) but may well be able to give you more information and support, we don't do guns much here so it doesn't include them. Adaptive Martial Arts UK & Ireland
Britannia Hero's Inclusive Martial Arts

Thanks for those links, I am looking forward to checking them out.

I'd like to take a moment here to address some of the questions by some members regarding firearms, rather than try to reply to each individual query, as many were the same or similar.

Firearms are legal where I live (US) and I live in a fairly gun-friendly, shall-issue state. So that's not a huge issue. I don't own firearms but I don't fear them and am a 2A supporter (if anyone was wondering.)

My personal decision is simply based on the fact that I am concerned for the safety of bystanders, should I need to use a firearm. I won't fall over if I fire a gun or anything. But with my balance issues, even with some practice I would be concerned about accidents in a heated situation. I fully agree they are the great equalizer, and I realize their usefulness as a defense tool.

But aside from my personal concerns due to my condition, some are also logistical. I enjoy traveling when I can afford it, and I often go to places that take a much dimmer view of firearms. Knowing how to do/use other things when I am in these places is also a factor. I am mostly asking after fitness and to add to my current routine, but the defense factor, if applicable in any way, is a bonus, certainly.

For the gentleman who believes guns are for cowards, I respect your stance although I don't agree. Likely you have achieved a level of self defense acumen and fitness that is difficult to obtain for most disabled people such as myself. In short, you probably have the abilities and experience I wish I could have, and I am glad for you.

I appreciate the advice here on guns, and I think y'all are right. I'm just going for a different set of goals and priorities here, that I think will fit my needs and lifestyle better at this time.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for those links, I am looking forward to checking them out.

I'd like to take a moment here to address some of the questions by some members regarding firearms, rather than try to reply to each individual query, as many were the same or similar.

Firearms are legal where I live (US) and I live in a fairly gun-friendly, shall-issue state. So that's not a huge issue. I don't own firearms but I don't fear them and am a 2A supporter (if anyone was wondering.)

My personal decision is simply based on the fact that I am concerned for the safety of bystanders, should I need to use a firearm. I won't fall over if I fire a gun or anything. But with my balance issues, even with some practice I would be concerned about accidents in a heated situation. I fully agree they are the great equalizer, and I realize their usefulness as a defense tool.

But aside from my personal concerns due to my condition, some are also logistical. I enjoy traveling when I can afford it, and I often go to places that take a much dimmer view of firearms. Knowing how to do/use other things when I am in these places is also a factor. I am mostly asking after fitness and to add to my current routine, but the defense factor, if applicable in any way, is a bonus, certainly.

For the gentleman who believes guns are for cowards, I respect your stance although I don't agree. Likely you have achieved a level of self defense acumen and fitness that is difficult to obtain for most disabled people such as myself. In short, you probably have the abilities and experience I wish I could have, and I am glad for you.

I appreciate the advice here on guns, and I think y'all are right. I'm just going for a different set of goals and priorities here, that I think will fit my needs and lifestyle better at this time.

and that's one of the best replies I've seen for a long time! I hope you will stay with us beyond this thread! :)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Could you do fencing?

I mean you pursue that far enough. You could go to the olympics.

Last edited:
OP
J

jstacy1228

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
and that's one of the best replies I've seen for a long time! I hope you will stay with us beyond this thread! :)
Appreciate it, friend. I don't have much in the way of knowledge to contribute, but I'm sure I'll be lurking here and there. ;)

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
As Charlemagne mentioned earlier I also would advise Filipino Martial Arts mixed with Firearms training. That would be a quality fit for fitness and personal protection!

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I searched through the list of forums and this seemed the most appropriate one in which to ask the question.

A little about me, so that I might get a more complete answer.

I have spastic cerebral palsy that affects my lower half, and due to this and complications from a corrective surgery I must use a cane on my right side in order to walk. Being born with the disability, and using the cane for about 13 years now, I'm quite comfortable with it.

Given that both singlestick and canne du combat, particularly the latter, employ canes/sticks in their normal drills, I thought one of these would be a good choice for training in general fitness, coordination, possible defense, etc. I'm looking at them more as fitness routines than straight defense simply because, as someone with poor balance and footwork, the odds of successfully using these techniques to win a confrontation are realistically, not high for me (probably, what do I know?)

It's difficult to explain in great and accurate detail the true specifics of my abilities and limitations online... but, given some of these parameters, which would you recommend? I was leaning toward singlestick, although it seems the sticks used are probably somewhat shorter than my standard round handle aluminum assistive cane.

Also, I do not live near a training facility. While there are a wealth of videos out there, it is difficult for me to watch and perform moves at the same time. Perhaps if I purchased a DVD I could watch in the living room while learning, I just haven't invested yet.

While this is more about fitness, activity and such to keep me on my feet, any comments with an eye to defense also welcome. Not being able to master the integral factor of footwork, I've just assumed I shouldn't bother. But as a cane is also part of daily life, incorporating that makes sense to me, too.

In a nutshell I guess I'm asking which of the two (or one I haven't thought of) would be best for a person with spastic cerebral palsy of the legs who uses a cane, and how best to learn some of it with no training facility nearby, and what to invest in.

Thanks everyone. Feel free to ask me anything for more information.

I have spoken more than once, on these forms, about a classmate who suffers from the same condition, though I have personally never seen him use a cane (that might just be because I don't only see him for the 90 minutes of class time.)

My school studies Wing Chun and Kali, a Filipino Martial Art that uses sticks in place of blades for training. On the side he also studies HEMA, though I am not exactly sure which particular style. He has adapted well even to the Wing Chun we study. He knows his mobility footwork wise is limited and so he makes up for it with superior precision with his upper body. Since you have the cane I would suggest what you have already thought of, stick work. To see if it is right for you I would search for some YouTube videos under the names Inosanto and Marcaida to start. They don't often go into specific step by step training but I think their videos provide a good feel for whether it would fit or not.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think you'll find that a lot of arts will give you what you are looking for, but what is more important is to find an instructor that understands your condition and can adapt their program and style to reflect that. Some instructors are a lot better at this than others.

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Good luck on your search jstacy1228 and I echo Tez3 that you 'stick' around. I have enjoyed your postings so far.

The fighting with a cane that people often demonstrate is fine if balance is not an issue, the problem often being that those that legitimately need a cane...need the cane. Learning how to wrap/entangle the cane can be useful as well as using it for a choke (fang choke some call them - there are many variations) should you be taken down or chose to go to the ground.

For fitness, wrestling, BJJ and other grappling arts are very good. For fitness combined with upper body coordination Filipino Martial Arts are very good (they also work both arms/sides of the body - which is good if one hand is occupied dealing with balance) along with some Chinese Martial Arts (especially those that focus on inside/close range work) For focus study/practice many of the Karate styles are very good options. If there is a Systema (Russian Martial Art) school near you, it is a good study for dealing with chaos and unpredictable circumstances as well as weapons etc.

Body movement is becoming very popular around the US now. Do not rule this study out because of your circumstances. Speak to the instructors and see if they can work with you...many will be able to and those that can will have a lot to offer.

Last, for fitness have you thought about dance? There is fitness as well as friendly social contact, and a skill you look forward to using on the weekend. Some of the Latin dances can work with restricted footwork.

Good luck and let us know how it goes
Regards
Brian King

Latest Discussions